“Moisture Smell / Noise”

W Istanbul
Ranked #118 of 1,149 Hotels in Istanbul
“Moisture Smell / Noise”
Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

It is a chic but a dark hotel (especially elevators lightning was low). Staff makes a lot of noise in late hours (The room was changed twice) and there was a moisture smell in the second room. It was getting worse when the heating was on. But everyone is friendly and besides the smell, everywhere was sparkly clean.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank MikoyanGuryevich
Songul A, Public Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear W Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback. As we are a design-led brand, the interior design and lighting are unique and special to the W Brand. The interior design of the W Istanbul is a blend of Ottoman architecture and contemporary W style.

I am glad to hear that you received great service from our W "Talent". We really pride ourselves on the service and Whatever/Whenever W service philosophy.

We hope you give us the opportunity to WOW you soon!

The W Istanbul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I stayed at the W hotel Istanbul about a year ago and am just now getting into the habit of writing reviews. This place was fantastic. Clean, stylish, hip, and very modern. My room was perfect-sexy, romantic, and trendy, and the hotel itself was in a great location. Going in the winter, I got a fairly good deal, and overall was very pleased with my stay. I would stay here again on my next trip to Istanbul.

There were security guards who stood around the building at all hours, and you had to pass through a metal detector upon entering the hotel...not sure what this was about, it made me a little nervous but I'm glad that the W takes security matters seriously.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Warm Greetings from your W family,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback about your recent stay at W Istanbul. We really appreciate your amazing words and so happy to hear that you did enjoy your W experience.
We are definetely looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dubai
Reviewed December 17, 2012

The hotel is true to the W brand and very modern and moody. Excellent use of light and most of the decor is red, black and greys.
The roof is functional as well as very nicely designed. Modern and with a wow factor.
The staff were very friendly, helpful, and professional.
The location is close to Dolmabahce Palace and a 5-10 min walk from Taksim and the main shopping street. No metro's too close by but there are always plenty of taxi's in Istanbul.
The only reason I'm not giving a 5 star is because the breakfast and mini bar are very expensive (60 TL, $30, GBP 20 for breakfast and 20 TL, $10, GBP 6.50 for a bar of chocolate). So not perfect but if you like this type of modern boutique hotel then recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear W Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback. I am delighted to hear that our Talent were very friendly during your stay. We apologize that there were some inconsistencies in your stay and we will address this immediately. This is not the W standard that we work to uphold and we hope you will give us another opportunity to WOW you.
We really pride ourselves on our Whatever/Whenever service and look forward to seeing you soon.

Warmest wishes,
London
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Great location, very friendly staff. Rooms are funky but a little less design and more function would be welcomed (I gave up trying to switch the lights off!) I had a room with a lovely rooftop terrace which was a little piece of calm in the wonderful chaos of Istanbul.

Breakfast was ok but there were a few negative points - hard to track down staff; cold coffee...the bar is a bar so expect the music to get cranked up.

All in all I would certainly stay here again on vacation, but for business travellers, probably not.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank edamame
Dear W Guest,

Thank you so much for giving us a review, we are always open to feedback and appreciate that you took the time to write. It is true that some of the W Hotels are lighter in design, such as W South Beach and Barcelona, and there are several that use darker colors, woods and lighting as well. The W Istanbul is part of the Akaretler Row Houses, which were built in the 1870s as part of the Dolmabahce Palace and the interior designer blended the W design with Ottoman inspirations.
Apologies for the challenge you had with your cold coffee, this is certainly not our standard way of operating.

Thank you again for taking the time to write and we sincerely hope to see you soon.

Warm wishes,
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I am very loyal to Starwood, a platinum member in their loyalty program, and usually have great experiences with the W properties. There was nothing wrong with the Istanbul location, but it seemed like a disappointment compared to other W's around the world and the two other Starwood properties I visited in Istanbul (Le Meridien and Sheraton Maslak). The room was slightly smaller than average, but had an unusually large bathroom configuration. The toilet, shower, and sink areas were all three separate rooms. If this room is the platinum upgrade, I'm concerned about the size of the regular room.

There is a small gym available with ok equipment, but with an odd low ceiling. What they call a spa is a couple rooms set aside for massage and treatments. This is not a spa, unlike the excellent offerings at the Sheraton and Le Meridien nearby. The breakfast was very good and offered as an amenity, but normally costs quite a bit (I think close to $30 US).

I know that this property was buit around existing homes, and they have to work with this historical framework. But the final result is an OK hotel that doesn't excite me like many of the better W's I have stayed at elsewhere. I also found the service to be OK but not particularly warm. I could chalk this up to a cultural difference, but everyone at the Le Meridien and Sheraton were much warmer and quick to provide assistance when asked. They also accidentally charged me an extra five hundred dollars, which when pointed out they corrected and apologized for, but they couldn't explain how they come up with this mystery amount in the first place. Strange.

The biggest consideration: while this is the Starwood property closest to tourist attractions and the buzzing scene of Taksim Square, it is still too far to walk anywhere. Since you need to employ taxis or the subway or busses anyway, I found the other Starwood properties much more attractive, both in what they had to offer and their significant cost savings. This isn't a bad hotel, just not worth the price charged or the best example of what this brand normally delivers.

Room Tip: If you need a room with double beds, this is not the hotel for you. All potential upgrade rooms see...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank kyle34
Songul A, Public Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear W Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. Such feedback is much appreciated by us as we strive to improve our understanding of exceptional service everyday.

The issues that you mentioned are not exemplary of our W Standards.
I hope you will accept my sincere apology for the inconveniences you encountered during your recent stay.

Please feel free to contact us at any time should you have any questions or need assistance with anything. Once again we thank you for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and the W Brand.

Warm Regards,
Ascoli Piceno, Italy
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Brand new hotel, modern style: main colours are black, grey and fuxia, a kind of colour therapy. Then surprising decorations, according to W style all over the world. I love it. It makes you feel in the future in a old and new in the meanwhile City. Nice room, wonderful lobby, good music and drinks at the Miyorn bar, excellent Turkish food at the Okka restaurant. Gentle and helping staff, even if not everybody speaks good English. Hip and upscale.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear W Guest,

As your W family at Istanbul we would like to thank you for your nice comments. We are all very happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us and do appreciate your feedback.

As you have also stated, the historic structure of our building combined with the extraordinary interior design makes W Istanbul one of the most spectacular and unique hotels of its kind.
As your friends at W Istanbul, we would love to welcome you back.

We hope to see you again in our magical city and look forward to providing you with many more W experiences!

Milan, Italy
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I went for the weekend and it was crazy. An up scale and posh hotel which is very comfortable. Perfect location too. The staff is very cordial and nice. Their club is definitely one of the best I have been to. I went with 5 friends and the music was just right their. Its good for people who have their own group and can enjoy good music and ambience.

Loved my stay there!! I will go back there for sure!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear W Guest,

We really appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay at W Istanbul.
You did not leave us any other words to say after your amazing comment.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience with your friends and really appreciate your wonderful feedback.

Looking forward to welcoming you, your friends & family back soon.