“Signature design, poor location, nothing extraordinary”
Review of W Istanbul

W Istanbul
Ranked #117 of 1,147 Hotels in Istanbul
Bucharest, Romania
“Signature design, poor location, nothing extraordinary”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The hotel was designed in the typical W velvet-sparkling style. Rooms are darker, in the dark wood/dark purple colours.
As usual, the bed and linen were extremely comfortable and silky smooth.
What I didn't enjoy was the bathroom set-up (claustrophobic shower, located accross the hall from sink..., bad lighting, uncomfortably placed magnifying mirror...).
As usual, wi-fi is extra charged, as is the bottled water in the room.

Staff was nice and friendly, however when my keys didn't work 3 times during 2 days, they didn't really care much.

Food was tasty and fresh, however the breakfast selection was much narrower than e.g. in W Barcelona. I missed some quality tea - asked for Mint fresh/fusion, and received Lipton bag tea.

I unfortunately did not get to experience the only thing that caught my attention in the hotel - the cabana outdoor "rooms" - as they were all booked/occupied during the 3 days I stayed in the hotel. Maybe you can give it a try :)

Overall, this is certainly a comfortable hotel - however, nothing extraordinary.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Martina V
Songul A, Public Relations Manager at W Istanbul, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear W Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback. As we are a design-led brand, the interior design and lighting are unique and special to the W Brand. The interior design of the W Istanbul is a blend of Ottoman architecture and contemporary W style.
The W Beds are certainly comfortable and it is amazing how many people buy the beds!

I am extremely happy to hear that you thought our service was great. We pride ourselves on our "W Talent" at the hotel and do feel that we have the best people with us.

Please let us know when you are coming back so we can arrange your stay in our fabulous Cabana room.

Looking forward to welcoming you back at W Istanbul.

W Istanbul Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Very expensive hotel in converted historical houses. We booked this because we are very frequent users of W hotels in the USA and London. Rooms are nice and are typical W decor. While the W is close to the other 5 star hotels along the Bosphorus, it is not on the river and has hardly any good restaurants close by. Because of massive traffic congestion in Istanbul, the trams and ferries are the way to see Istanbul in a quick and often charming way. The W is about a mile walk from the nearest tram station. All this would still be fine if the W had a friendly and caring ambience which it does not. Very matter of fact and we felt uncaring attitude. Food is average, highly priced and the portions are laughable. The evening before leaving, we asked them to arrange a car to the airport and they said it would cost EUR 120 because it was a Mercedes. We said we do not care for the brand of the car and is there not a reasonably priced option? Apparently not if you ask the W concierge to arrange a car. We scrambled to call the travel agency who had organized our one day See Istanbul excursion and in 5 minutes, a car was arranged at much less than half the price. Not sure what W Istanbul thinks is the way to treat guests but the attitude is different from the many other W hotels we have stayed in London & New York.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank peregrine230
Dear W Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at W Istanbul.

Apologies for the challenge you had with your transfer the day you checked out and talent experience; this is certainly not our standard way of operating.

There is quite a large variety of shops and restaurants in Besiktas and Nisantasi near the hotel, sorry to hear that you were not able to locate any of them.

Please be assured that your valuable comments will allow us to focus on areas in need of improvement.

Looking forward to welcoming you back, in hope that you will give us another chance to regain your trust in our hotel.

Warm Wishes.
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Starwoods does not have a great option in Istanbul, hence my decision to stay at the W. I would not do it again, not even when redeeming free nights.

Reasons:
1) poor location - not a lot going on in the area, a hike to old city, pera/galata, taxsim
2) not 4 star service - W has an "elite" attitude which often translates to "condescendingly unhelpful". Our work around - go to a nice area and stop in a different 4 star hotel. Would recommend Pera Palace or Four Seasons.
3) favorite experience: trying to sleep while enduring a euro-trash blow out bash (also called 'white party').
4) tendency to nickel and dime / overcharge for incidentals. This is generally true of Ws and annoys me every time.

I would love love love for starwoods to open more true luxury hotels (e.g the st Regis or one similar to the old style grande Bretagne in Athens). The W (and the Istanbul W in particular) just doesn't cut it.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank CandidlyReviews
Dear W Guest,

We deeply apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. The W Istanbul does not have general noise problems with our guest rooms. When we do get a customer complaint about a specific room, we are looking into the problem and finding a remedy.

We are sincerely sorry to hear that your stay with us did not uphold to the W standards and excellence we strive to deliver consistently. Your elaborate feedback is extremely valuable as it provides us a opportunity to assess and improve our service at every level, in and out of our Hotel.
Although the location of our property is one of the best and most central in relation to major touristic highlights, shopping districts and all the attractions that make Istanbul the city of the 21st Century, it is also very new.

Most importantly, you are a part of the W family and we would love to have another chance to make your stay memorable, here, or at any other W property around the globe in the future.

Best wishes from all of us at W Istanbul.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed here for almost a week in July. The staff is top-notch. They noted my platinum status, upgraded me to an amazing room, and answered all of our questions. The concierge helped me find my way to the right shops in the Grand Bazaar, and even called some of the stores and let them know that I was coming. The rooftop terrace is such a fun place, and the service, as usual, was top-of-the-line. Be wary that many taxi drivers don't know exactly where the hotel is located, so you should carry one of their cards with you in case. We were walking distances to a lot of the sights and super close to the ferry so we could navigate our way around rather easily. I even took home two of the SUPER comfortable robes, which are W-branded, but made right there in Turkey!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear W Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. Such feedback is much appreciated by us as we strive to improve our understanding of exceptional service everyday.
As you have also put forward, our concierges and talents are committed to represent the W spirit and service. Their genuine and relentless interest in understanding the preferences and expectations of our guests is a rare quality.

Greetings from your W family in Istanbul!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Overall I was impressed by our stay - it was not such a big deal to walk to the end of the tram stop to get into the centre of the city. Room modern and clean - with good air conditioning. Food - its restaurant not so great - rather overpriced and quality variable. Would I stay there again? - maybe - but would always eat out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear W Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the W Istanbul Hotel and for giving us feedback on your stay. I am very glad to hear that you liked the location of the hotel and explored the different sites and areas around Akaretler.
I am sorry to hear that the Food was not to your liking.. I will share your feedback with the management of the hotel and please know that we are continuously working to improve. We would really like the opportunity to WOW you and hope you will come and stay with us again.

Warm wishes,

Dubai
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed at the W as my usual hotel in Istanbul was full. I was interested to see how this W would compare to the others ive stayed in around the world, as I would say I probably fall into their target market for a regular customer. After 3 nights there - Theres no question in my mind, this is a poor, poor hotel.

Firstly the décor and style – atrocious. Theres mood lighting and then theres no lighting, the W seems to opt for the latter. Even during the day the lighting in the entire building was so poor it started to be dis-orienting. The ambient music is played far too loud, instead of being a nice background note just proved to be irritating. The interior designer was clearly thinking ‘tarts boudoir from the early 2000’s’ when fitting out the décor, its just too much – a complete assault to your sensibility. The style notes for this hotel are just wrong wrong wrong – they miss the mark on so many levels, it really gave the impression of just trying to hard to be uber stylish.

Secondly, the room – Again, just too much. Over designed, way too dark, lights inside wardrobes not switching off properly, mood effect downlighters that took forever to find a kill switch for, ambient music being piped into the room… it just goes on.

Thirdly, – internet connection as has been mentioned previously. I paid over 200 euro per night for this room. I do not expect to be forced to pay additionaly charges for Internet, OR, the hotel having an internet provider that does not work with Boingo or Ipass. When are hotels going to realise this? – it is completely unacceptable for the business traveller.

Finally, and probably my biggest issue – the service. The service in this hotel is absolutely terrible, with breakfast being the pinnacle. The staff in this hotel are either poorly trained or just have an attiude problem. Three times I went to breakfast and three times I experienced the same level of ineptitude. There is no one to greet you on your arrival at the restaurant and show you a table – not too much of an issue, but if you then have to make your presence known to one of the multitude of staff hanging around – it becomes an issue. Three consecutive days I asked for a plain, black coffee three times, and didn’t receive what I asked for once. One time I got a white coffee and two times I got nothing. Three times I went to the hot breakfast station, and three times there was just dregs left (this was at 0830). I asked when the hot breakfast would be replaced on each occasion to be greeted with a ‘shrug’.

I don’t make regular reviews on Trip Advisor, even though I spend at least 3 nights per week in hotels, but I feel drawn to do so in this instance – very poor hotel at a high cost = exceptionally bad value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank thejimbobly
Dear W Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us feedback.
We deeply apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. The W Hotels are design-led hotels and our interior design and lighting are unconventional. W creates an escape from the everyday and we truly apologize if it was not to your liking.
When we do get a customer complaint about a service, we are looking into the problem and finding a remedy. We also apologize about your breakfast experience as this is not our standard and not our level of service at all. I hope you give us another opportunity to WOW you, as the majority of our guests have incredible experiences when they stay with us.

Warm wishes,
The W Istanbul Team
El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I were in Istanbul for our last stop on a trip through 5 European cities. We stayed for 5 days. This is the 16th Starwood Hotel that we've stayed in while in Europe and by far - JIM was the BEST concierge we've had anywhere. He had amazing recommendations for dinner and activities to do - and truly made our trip much better. We always rely heavily on the concierge to help us navigate the cities we visit for the first time, and he was impressive and SO helpful.
The location of the hotel is fantastic. Easy walking distance to the tram to get into Old Town, close to great shops and restaurants, and in a very nice part of the city.
The rooms were very clean, but we had a little issue with a bad smell in our room on the first night. I called the front desk and an extremely nice woman helped us change rooms immediately and didn't bat an eye to help us.
We REALLY enjoyed our stay at the W and were very impressed by the hotel. It definitely exceeded our expectations.
It's a category 6, but Jim the concierge makes it all worth it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear W Guest,

Hello from Istanbul! Thank you very much for your nice comments.
As W talents, we are all committed to provide our guests with genuine service and Turkish hospitality.
We hope to continue exceeding your expectations in the future!