“Great but..”

Pasazade Restaurant Ottoman Cuisine
Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sultanahmet
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We came here twice during our stay in Istanbul and had mixed success. The staff is incredibly nice and were very helpful with my gluten allergy. The wine was very good and even let me taste my glass, which I've never seen before.

My husband LOVED his Mutancene meal both times he had it. I had the chicken rolls and enjoyed it the first time, and I love the eggplant mezze that they brought out. However, I had the Sultan Stew the second time and there must have been a spice we're not used to because it was not enjoyable to me or my husband, almost a burnt taste. I am not a picky eater, so it was weird for me to not like something. However, it must have just been me since the table next to us had the same dish and they appeared to love it.

I'd say go...but just don't go for the Sultan Stew.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Good food, good wine and good price. The view is fantastic. Dont forget to make a reservation as this is a popular place.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

These people know what they are doing - consistently high quality food and excellent service. If you are in the Sirkeci area, this is a great place. We made a reservation and requested a rooftop view (by e-mail, but I asked our hotel to confirm it too). We had a great table and the the whole experience was delightful. There's a dish with roasted and pureed eggplant (Hunkar Begendi) that I would go back for in a heartbeat!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

There are literally hundreds of restaurants in the Hoca Pasa area of the Old Town, but most of them serve the same standard stuff with an Arabic slant; the endless kebaps and koftes and sea bass/bream. Pasazade offers something different; finer dining; and at a good price, especially compared to Dejavu across the road, and this without touts to block your way.

My cacik starter (a yoghurt 'soup') was the best that I had on the trip and my wife was hugely impressed with the spinach soup. There is of course kebap, but there is also a succulent oven-roasted lamb, a classically Ottoman lamb dish with fruit and nuts, and a sublime veal stew with sweet spices that left my wife itching to try to emulate it back home. The second night her seafood stew also received high praise.

Compared to Dejavu the beer is the proper price and the wines are far better value. The Chardonnay in particular was delightful at TL 55 versus TL 90 across the road. Service, as anywhere in Istanbul, is a bit lethargic.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Service was outstanding for our Australian family including 3 children because the wait staff took the time to teach our son how to silver serve. Food was delicious and we thought it was so good that we returned for another dinner. The staff recognized us and gave us a complimentary desert tasting.