“What a surprise ! I was totally fooled out..”
Review of Konak

Konak
Ranked #6,928 of 13,529 Restaurants in Istanbul
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Beyoglu
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“What a surprise ! I was totally fooled out..”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

From outside this restaurant looks nice. I ordered the menu with a clear message and just point out as what in the menu list and price.
When the food came, I started confusing cause it didn't look same as what I ordered. But nevermind, perhaps it should be like this.. part of the service cause it's my first visit.
In fact, it was a really big portion even for 5 of us. We could not finish that all certainly.
But what made me surprise, they gave me a bill with a very huge prices at the end (just like one night stay in Konak hotel's price). It's out of expectation but no chance to debate. Although they're friendly but totally they fooled me out... and I'm not the only one for sure. Take care guys !!

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Iwank B

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Qatar
“Good food, suppose to be good price if the info is not misleading...”
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Found this restaurant when we walked around istiklal cd, have herd some reco about the food.

The server is friendly but dont let it fool you. He try to propose a mix grill for all of us, having snack before we opt to take lighter food. Looking into the picture of konak kebab (their speciality) in the menu it shows 4 pcs of kefta in a plate, the waiter ask us how many kefta do we like.. As we thought that we want lighter food we ask for 2 pcs per plate as he told us normal person will take 6pcs for him alone... The other order are for the donner with rice, the waiter asked how many grams do we want ? Again he said that normally 300gr per person so we ordered 200gr and he is ok with that.

Food come quickly, taste is good, and we feel satisfy. However the surprise come when the bill arrive... 4 portion of konak kebab, 2 portion of donner with rice, and as we clarify he confirmed thats all what we ordered... Suddenly we felt very stupid.... get into a trap as he didnt explain how does it works, and the picture in the menu is also very misleading.... So its good food but be careful what you order...

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank poetut
“maybe we were lucky ? but loved it.”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We ate here tonight and I have only read the other reviews as I am about to write. I had to check I was reviewing the same restaurant. It was very busy but we were lucky enough to be seated on the first floor by the window so we could people watch the road below and tram going up and down. We ordered lentil soup and iskender both of which were really tasty and my favourite meal in Istanbul. The decor is good and the toilets clean. The waiting staff were friendly. Service a little slow at times but almost all the tables were full. Would eat here again.

• Visited April 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
“enjoyed our meal here, but no alcohol so left soon after”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We read about this place in a guide book and decided to check it out one of our 3 nights in Istanbul. We wanted a casual but lively place as we weren't too hungry from eating a late lunch. This seemed to fit the bill, so we had our hotel make reservations and we got in at 9:00. The place is known for their dondurma as well, and it was fun watching them make the ice cream as we ate.

Dinner was good. We didn't realize it was alcohol-free until we got there. this wasn't an issue, but we were with a group of friends interested in having a fun night out so we left as soon as dinner was done. We really enjoyed our meals - I got a spicy kebab dish that the waiter recommended and it was excellent. They did try to push food on us though - I think we got a few salads or other items that we assumed came with the meal but found out later they didn't. At the end, the waiter offered my friend and I some tea, but we were hesitant to have any because of the hidden fees. He must have got the hint, because eventually he said it was on the house, so we enjoyed our tea after dinner. We never tried the dondurma, I wish one of us would have.

There are 2 locations for this place - we think we went to the correct place, but its sometimes hard to tell in Istanbul. The one we went to was on Istiklal Caddesi and had the men making the ice cream outside in front on the street.

• Visited September 2012
Paderborn
“Fraud and bad service - they charge per 100 gr not by the price of the menu!!!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

What should be told in advance is that the restaurant looks very beautiful and it is really full. This attracked our attention and as the prices of the dishes were only 30-40% higher than the prices of the take-away food stands we decided to eat there. We quickly got a seat and when ordering we were asked if we wanted - attention: 300, 400 or 600gr of meat in our dishes. This was already a bit confusing as we awaited to get those plates which we pointed in the menu. Therefore I told to bring exactly what was depicted on the picture hoping that I will also pay the depicted price. No way! When the bill came my heart sank: a tripple price as I must have ordered 300 gr - but it was also the minimul amount they offered us! After ordering two Dönnerteller (kebab plates) we had to pay 36 Euro! This is incredible - all other days we ate in other restaurants and paid 12-14Euro. This restraurant is a fraud - they spoiled our whole day as we don't have so much money to throw it away. We will never come back to them. Be careful when ordering in other restaurants as well - in some of them you will be charged by weight and not by the menu! And by the way, we could hardly stand up as the next guests were already sitting on our tables - we were nearly asked to go after we were ready - also a no go and bad practice - my advise stay away from this place - there are so many other splendid places in Istnabul.

• Visited March 2013