“Too sweet”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Karakoy
“Too sweet”
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

My guide book highly recommended this place, so even though I was watching my sugar and triglycerides, I gave the place a try.

I was first struck by the marvelous decoration of the place and the sheer number of customers there. I thought these are signs of a deserved reputation. How wrong could I be. For someone who speaks no Turkish, the place was difficult to figure out. It took me some minutes to realise that I needed to pay at a separate counter in order to get food - there were no signages, no people to help you out but people everywhere to crowd out any order in the shop.

The staff was rude and slow to clean tables. I sat at a table the whole time with several sticky plates in front of me. As for the food, I reckon that I have a sweet tooth but the baklava was really too sweet. I gobbled down 2 pieces but was really worried about getting a diabetic shock from the third. 7 liras is not a lot, but if I need a packet of sugar, I can get it for 1 lira in a supermarket. Interestingly, I tasted baklava elsewhere in Turkey and it was not nearly as sweet.

2 Thank eduardelacroix

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Decent baklava, but not worth going out of your way for”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Let me start by saying that I am not a connaisseur of baklava: I merely like sweets.

That being said, I was eager to try the baklava here as a member of our group said that this was "The Place" to get it as we were walking past on our way back to the ship.

The interior is very nice and I'm sure that it would have been much better to eat it there with a Turkish coffee, rather than carry it back to the ship. However, time was a factor, so we had to get it to go.

To start with, the service was miserable. For such a cheery looking place, the staff taking your order and the ones accepting payment make you feel like you're a burden to them...something that was surprising given how any vendor in Turkey will bend over backwards to make a customer happy (or at least until they secure a sale!). Not so here. Maybe it's because of their reputation. Who knows.

As for the baklava itself, it was good. However, it wasn't any better - at least not in my opinion - than the baklava I had at another restaurant earlier in the day. What it was, though, was more expensive (again, I guess the reputation means a premium is attached to the price).

Perhaps it was an off day for the staff (it was around 6:00 PM) and that their service clouded my experience. Regardless, the next time we're in Istanbul, we'll go elsewhere for baklava.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank DMacPhail
Istanbul, Turkey
“Perfect Borek and Real Baklavas !”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I am not a fan of Baklavas but the day I eat, I take them from Gulluoglu.

I love their Borek / pasty with minced meat or cheese

Gulluoglu is the best : you can enjoy your borek and order a good cup of tea for very reasonable price.
Boreks are around 6 TL only and the portion is big.

You won't regret, just enjoy it !

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Snoze
Columbus, OH
“Excellent Baklava”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

If you can find a seat here, this place has some of the best baklava in the city. It is very similar to a cafeteria, where you walk from glass display case to display case and choose the baklavas you want to eat. Then you grab your plate of dessert and enjoy at a cafe table. Excellent place to have dessert after dinner.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Matt P
Johannesburg, South Africa
“THE LOCALS RATE IT THE BEST SO YOU HAVE TO TRY IT IF YOUR HERE!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

its istanbul, you have to try the baklava.ill admit, sweet bakes are my vice but ask any local what is a must visit for baklava and they will tell you this is the place. there is a busy atmosphere here at all times of the year. in the front of the restaurant is a seating area and the back are the glass windows holding the sweet gems laden with butter, sugar and ottoman delights of pistachio and walnuts. the me behind the counters are old and antique as the store, this gives you a feeling of authenticity and tradition that remains in ISTANBUL. I will admit that turkish bakava is rather different to the ARAB, GREEK, SYRIAN AND IRAQI varities which are crispier and have more almonds and peanuts. This version highlights the staple walnut and the luxurious pistachio and the shell is laden with syrup(they like really sweet desserts). Prices are high as they are popular so savour your visit. In sultanahmet along divanyolu caddesi you can find delicious bakalava as well, my suggestion is to get a sample from each store and let your tastebuds decide. AFIYET OLSUN!

• Visited December 2012