“Beware the "slight of hand"!”
Review of Kosebasi Reina

Kosebasi Reina
Ranked #1,520 of 13,905 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Besiktas
Description: Since 1995, Köşebaşi is the only restaurant chain that is true to the traditional recipes of South Anatolia. Köşebaşi has managed to capture this traditional taste and is committed to continue to offer not only a cultural event but also an introduction to Anatolian lifestyle. Köşebaşi was voted as one of "World's 50 Best Restaurants" by the 14,000 members of Conde Nast Traveler magazine and was awarded with International Tourism, Hotel and Catering Industries Prize as "The Best Representative of The Traditional Turkish Cuisine". Köşebaşi was also cited as "The Best Kebab Restaurant in Istanbul" by Time magazine. Köşebaşi continues its journey in 3 continents, 9 countries with its 28 branches.
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Good food. Good buzz & if I were local I might like it. BUT we left feeling ripped-off. Maybe we should have seen it coming - slick middle-aged waiters with selective hearing for the English language. Their offer to prepare a special 'off-menu' mixed kebab for the two of us meant our bill included the cost for 3 top-priced main courses rather than the two we understood we'd receive. Add to this another 24TL (~£10) for the unrequested mini hors d'ourve pizza each that was slipped onto our plates mid-meal with the slight of hand of a professional card-sharp. Then they claimed to have run out of their white House Wine - and guess in what price-range the nearest replacement was!
Final bill was way over-priced at more than 300TL (~£80 per person) excluding any tip (which they did not get).

1  Thank CB175

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was recommended this restaurant mainly due to the proximity to the office. It turned out to be a great choice. Whilst not an expert in anyway on turkish food, I found it extremely tasty. We started with a a range of dips and vegetable dishes that they brought around on a large tray. Our waiter spoke reasonable english and was able to help us select a variety. Hot bread to accompany. I don't think we over-ordered but frankly after the starters, we could have finished then. However, we were all looking forward to trying some meats off the grill.
We took a mixed plate with chicken, beef and lamb. Again, i found the food very tasty with that real BBQ flavour.
The meal was topped off with some local beer.
Summary is that I would certainly visit there again. Good food, a nice ambience with choice of seating inside or out. I did think it was a bit pricey but as my first visit to Istanbul, i don't have a good benchmark. it was about US$55 each for the starters, mixed grilled meats and two beers.
Worth a visit.

1  Thank njsmith018
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

The first time we were here all went very well. The service and food was good. We just were a little surprised that we never got the menu and had to chose what to eat without knowing the price. On the bill it was simply impossible to know what was what and if the bill was accurate. The second time we insisted on getting the menu in order to pick something ourselves. The waiter wasn't very happy and we still couldn't make out a difference of 13 euros on our bill.

1  Thank mitochi
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is the place we go to eat kebab and accompanying mezes. Both Turks and the foreigners love the food.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Many restaurants in Istanbul do not serve alcohol, and as Kosebasi does; it is my impression that they use this to their advantage.

Many foreign travelers or temporary Istanbul residents can be found frequenting this location because there is a wine list and full bar.

While the wine prices are fair, and there is a reasonably good selection; the food leaves something to be desired.

Portions are small, and do not demonstrate the bold flavors Istanbul has to offer. Food prices are expensive and a meal for two here can cost well over $100, including alcohol.

I was lucky enough to get a real taste of Istanbul thanks to my hosts, and I can say that there are many better options in the city.