“Very suitable for our requirements”
Review of Apricot Hotel

Apricot Hotel
Ranked #485 of 1,140 Hotels in Istanbul
Winnipeg, Canada
“Very suitable for our requirements”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed at the Apricot in February 2013, and had 2 rooms to suit our large family. The stay was excellent. The location is very good, although the neighbourhood that you walk through by taking a right turn out the front door is not nearly as nice as by taking the left turn. We always felt safe and immersed in authentic Istanbul while in their neighbourhood.

The breakfast was simple and very good. The service was very good. The rooms were perfectly acceptable, but with their own little quirks - its not a 5 star place (and thank goodness for that, as this had way more character). The staff were good and helpful to us, even with limited English.

Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Umhawkin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We really enjoyed the warmth, friendliness, and helpfulness of the staff at the Apricot. Our room was lovely, with a sofa, and a nice walk-in bathroom. Breakfasts were simple and very good; the fresh-squeezed orange juice was a treat to look forward to. Hakan treated me to my first Turkish coffee, and offered lots of good suggestions for our time in Istanbul. We received a free shuttle service from the airport with a 3 night stay, and that was a big plus. The location is perfect---a quiet street literally just around the corner from the Blue Mosque. Most of all, I am grateful for the care that I received after having come down with food poisoning or a 24 hour bug; Ayse brought me boiled potatoes and salt, and turkish coffee grinds with lemon. The owner of the hotel stopped by to check in on me, and gave my daughter some homeopathic suggestions. He allowed us to stay in the room well past check-out time, until I could get back on my feet. This is exceptional, wonderful kindness. We highly recommend the Apricot Hotel, and the exceptional staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank pattimcamato
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

We read the reviews on tripadvisor before booking this hotel. We stayed in January for 5 days. It was the quieter time of the year in Istanbul. Hotel is very clean with simple furnishings. Breakfast is served with a smile every morning. All the staff are very friendly and helpful. The location is perfect as well. Within walking distance of all the attractions.

• Stayed January 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 1, 2013

In addition to its excellent location and comfortable facilities, we especially appreciated the friendly, helpful staff and manager of the Apricot Hotel. The advice received on getting around, where to eat , what to do and how much things would cost made our first stay there so pleasant we went back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Bruce P
Mount Dora, Florida
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Among hundreds of hotels famous for their hospitality, The Apricot is at the top of my list. We arrived at 1:30am, and the hotel had a van waiting to take us to our room. Our regular room was occupied so we spent the night in another room, but this was not a problem because we had made a prior agreement.

The problem was that only a few hours after we arrived I became very ill. I have not been so ill since I contracted H1N1 several years ago. The hotel staff were exceptional. Hakan, with decades of experience as a tour guide, used his experience to suggest remedies. The staff made sure that I had everything he suggested, including several servings of boiled potatoes with salt.

On the third day I thought I was well enough to walk around the corner and have a bowl of soup. I was creeping down the stairs when the desk clerk saw me and asked me what we were doing. I explained we were off in search of soup. He told me to go right back to my room and they would make soup. In a few minutes he came to ask what kind of soup I wanted. In about 90 minutes I received a huge pot of chicken and rice soup which had been made from scratch by the amazing Ayse. It was the best chicken soup I have ever eaten.

When I observe that this hotel staff is unique it is still an understatement. We absolutely never receive the attention any where else that we receive at the Apricot. I never feel safer or more well cared for any place more than this tiny little hotel.

In all honesty, it is a simple six room hotel. There are not many bells and whistles. The beds are comfortable. The bathrooms, by Turkish standards, are huge. The water is hot. The towels and linens are nice. There are new flat screen TVs in every room. The wifi is faster than anything I have at home and in one month of being online many hours every evening it did not ever drop us. Everything I need to be comfortable and cozy is right in my room.

I love breakfast at the Apricot. Unlike so many boutique hotels, coffee is brewed not just an envelope of Nescafe. Orange juice is squeezed fresh when you walk into the breakfast room. There is an abundance of choice at the breakfast buffet. It is the only meal I eat where I get seven servings of fruit and vegetables all at one meal. Ayse's service to guests is impeccable and charming.

Hakan is an excellent host. He can find the best restaurants, suggest the most entertaining activities and provide the most specific information about how to reach your destination. He has a huge wealth of knowledge about the city, and he generously shares it with his guests. His primary goal is that every guest have a great experience, and he makes sure that happens.

The hotel has a great location. It is only minutes from the Blue Mosque and the Arasta Bazaar. All the Sultanahmet sites are very close. It is on a quaint and very quiet street of mostly other boutique hotels, but it is only one block away from one of the largest and most popular restaurant streets in Sultanahmet.

This lovely little hotel is clean, charming, quiet and comfortable. The breakfast is outstanding. The staff is superb, and the rates are easily within most budgets. I cannot imagine staying anywhere else in Sultanahmet.

Room Tip: Our favorite room is Room One. It faces the street and I enjoy just watching guests and the staffs o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Busy-retired
Moulins, France
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Hakan, the owner, is a swell fellow. If you can afford it, opt for the seaside rooms: residential quarter, fabulous view of the marmara, and a lovely apartment. The muezzin from the nearby mosque Kucik Ayasofya may wake you up the first night--but the double-insulated windows can take care of this. In any case, the call to prayer is inescapable in Istanbul (the PA horns seem to have been turned up since I was last here). Breakfast is excellent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mortimer K
Toledo
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Apricot for 8 nights, late Oct. 2012. If you book a minimum of 3 nights the hotel will pick you up at the Airport at no charge. After an extremely long transatlantic flight that is a most welcome convenience.

I had made our reservation very early since I specifically wanted and requested room 2, since that room has a bathtub and a balcony. When we arrived I was told that room 2 was not available and we would have a different room for our 1st night and then we could move to room 2. An inconvenience but not a big deal.

The location is absolutely great, within walking distance of most sights and also the tram. Be aware that the early morning call to prayer from The Blue Mosque is very loud and will serve as your morning wake up call.

The staff is friendly and very helpful. On the days that we came back to the hotel in the afternoon for a brief rest before heading out again, we were always offered apple tea which was delightful and refreshing.

Breakfast buffet was good, especially the fresh rolls and orange juice. I am addicted to my morning coffee and the coffee was great.

On the negative side - The hotel appears a little worn. The stairway carpet was thread bare. The stairs are made of beautiful marble and the ugly worn carpet detracts from there beauty.

The bathtub plumbing leaked water on the bathroom floor to the extent that the floor was flooded. I reported it and staff later that day said it had been fixed. Not so. My solution was to stack several large bathtowells at the source of the leak, to avoid a constantly cold & wet bathroom floor.

We paid 79 Euro per night. Would I stay here again? Probably. The location and helpful staff outweigh the leaky bathroom.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple