“Avoid like the plague !” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Sultanahmet
London, UK
“Avoid like the plague !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2009

I pride myself on having travelled the world and always manage to outdo the rip off merchants but I regret that got caught out badly with this rip off joint. Like the other reviewer, I thought that because this restaurant had been mentioned in more than one guide book, that it came highly recommended. After walking around for 30 minutes (hot tired, hungry and thirsty) we finally found this tiny place in the Bazaar area. I should have noticed when we stepped in and they all looked rather anxious in telling us to try "a bit of everything" and proudly showed their wares from the kitchen window especially when we agreed to go with their recommendation and we spotted them grinning and babbling in Turkish.

We were presented with a plate smaller than a side plate and not as large as a dinner place. A mish mash of very ordinary forgettable food. We tucked in, ordering a diet coke each for drink and melon slices for dessert. The bill came to SEVENTY EIGHT turkish lira. When we asked them to explain, everyone lost their ability to speak English and said that that is the price.

Silly us !!! For the first time I got stung and only had myself to blame. If you must go here and trust me the food is not great then please please please do not draw comfort from any guide book recommendations, ask the price of EVERYTHING beforehand or better still ask to see the menu. I could kick myself, I saw locals eating the most beautiful kebaps directly outside the restaurant and the price displayed was only a few pounds.

Just a bit of advise for my fellow Trip Advisors.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Onelifeliveit

• Turkish first
San Francisco CA
“Eat here if you like to get ripped off.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2009

Riding on the laurels of good press from Food&Wine and Saveur magazines, this restaurant was the only place in two weeks of dining out in Turkey that ripped us off. Outrageous prices were created for us as tourists--three and four times typical prices we paid elsewhere. And the quality certainly doesn't justify it. To be avoided.

1 Thank Kylito