“Tasty....”
Review of Ciya Sofrasi

Ciya Sofrasi
Ranked #73 of 13,986 Restaurants in Istanbul
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Well I loved the food here, upon the recommendation of my hotel, I made a special visit to this place and it was worth the slightly long journey. The best thing is you can order half of everything (& you pay half the price), so you can try lots of different dishes which are in front of you. Depending on your appetite, your expenditure shouldn't really go over 40TL per person.
The only thing that let me down was the service was a bit wishy-washy (even though the restaurant seemed quite quiet). We didn't have to wait for the food - which was good, but had to wait an awful long time for anyone to get us a drink!
Overall recommended. Just be aware that there are two Ciya Sofrasi (and 1 Ciya Kebap). The better Ciya Sofrasi is the smaller one (they are two doors away from each other). Didn't try the Ciya Kebap - but you can get kebabs anywhere, so try the other restaurant in there with lots of different dishes - worthy of Sultans!

2  Thank MooSah

Reviewed December 6, 2013

We went to the Asian side of Istanbul also attracted by the great reviews of this restaurant ... and I must say I was able to observe and probably exceed expectations. The restaurant has no pretensions in decoration, but flavors, lovely. In many recipes, especially the Anatolian plate, dozens of them. Fast and efficient service. Atmosphere really Turkish. I suggest you sit down at one of the nice tables and simply order any thing ... it's all delicious!

1  Thank turkey92
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I loved all the Turkish meals during our 10 day trip, and based on advance reviews I was really looking forward to eating at this restaurant. But the service, and the confusion surrounding getting menus, or knowing when to go up to the counter for self-service or when to wait for table service, and the general difficulty in getting anything done (obtain a check, pay for a check, get the right dish) really served as a let down for me. The salad bar offerings were outstanding, to be fair -- fresh, varied, interesting, sold by weight -- and the main courses looked interesting (but the language barrier kept me from understanding most of it, and I am patient at trying to navigate that sort of thing). In short, frustrating and not memorable. As I walked away passing any number of other appealing places, I wished I had tried any of them instead.

3  Thank Bill B
Reviewed November 29, 2013

If you want to eat something authentic, Ciya Sofrası must be your first choice. Pumpkin desert with "tahin", Zahter Salatasi, Perde Pilavı, Anali Kizli, Kilis Kebabi are my favorites. The restaurant may be far away from your hotel or main attractions but this little gem and Kadıköy district alsı really deserve your attention.

2  Thank gizemshakar
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We had read reviews and recommendations from the TA Istanbul forum from locals who love with place so we went there and weren't disappointed.

Ordering your appetizers was a little confusing but just get a plate and got to the food buffet table inside and load up your plate with everything and they weigh it. Of not I loved the stuffed eggplant. I'm not even sure what the other things were but we ate it all.

Then we go back in and to the left is the main courses and ask the chef what it it. We ordered several from the waiter and he brings them out on plates. A couple we weren't crazy about but some were outstanding.

The lamb with pumpkin puree ( basically for americans it's like sweet potato ) was fantastic. My fiancee had a lamb with rice which was delicious.

Basically this place lives up to the hype. If you are going to be on the Asian side definitely seek this place out

2  Thank MJMaher