“Went multiple times”

Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Sultanahmet
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Great food, wonderful service. We ate here several times and tried something different each time. Everything was great! We even went one night just for dessert. Prices were great too!!

1  Thank r0gue1

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Doy Doy is an excellent restaurant bc they serve good food for a reasonable price. We enjoyed the lentil soup, mezze, kasharli pide, eggplant vegetarian dish and our very favorite Ayran (yogurt drink). The guys there are nice and helpful. And they have free Wi-Fi. With multiple floors, there's always a table. We enjoyed sitting up top the most.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We rented an apartment in Istanbul for a couple weeks, settling in casually and enjoying this neighborhood. A couple blocks away is Doy Doy. We ate there a few times and sampled several of the meze plates and entres. The lights are bright and the atmosphere is just ok, but the service is good. The food is also very good and reasonably priced. No alcohol.

Locals also eat here. It's a good choice, and we always had leftovers for lunch!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by our hotel as well as many guide books, so we were a bit skeptical and expected a "tourist trap." What it turned out to be is one of the friendliest and best places we ate at on our entire trip.
The food and the pride with which it was prepared were outstanding, and so was the menu selection and the service. The unobstructed view of the Blue Mosque from the rooftop terrace is hard to beat and was absolutely spectacular. We also enjoyed the ambience of a "local" place where Turkish people eat, especially late in the evening - definitely a good sign!
Thank you to everyone at Doy Doy - we hope to visit again soon!

Reviewed October 31, 2013

This restaurant is nothing fancy, but the food was really surprisingly good. In fact, it was my husband's very favorite meal for most of our vacation. We tried it based on our guidebook's recommendation and the fact that it was only steps away from our hotel. It was our very first meal in a Turkish restaurant, and it immediately gave us a positive outlook of Turkish cuisine!
I do think if we had sat on the rooftop, we would have been more impressed with the ambiance, but it was too cold to sit up there (we tried, and then asked to move downstairs, as I was too chilly), and the cigarette smoke was a little too strong for my liking. Downstairs was warm and cozy and smoke-free. But definitely not as atmospheric.
The service was very friendly. Our waiter didn't speak very much English, and I had a few questions about some of the menu items, but the he promptly went and got one of the owners of the restaurant, who spoke more English, and he was able to answer my questions and make recommendations.
My husband ordered the owner's recommendation, the Baked Kebab, and he absolutely loved it. The meat came wrapped in a flatbread and it was sprinkled with delicious, flavorful cheese on top. He absolutely loved it! I tried a bite of his, too, and even though I don't usually care too much for meat, it really was delicious. I ordered a cheese pide, which was also absolutely scrumptious. I don't know what kind of cheese they predominantly use in Turkey --- we had similar white cheese served in entrees many times on this trip --- but it is so flavorful and delicious. Much better than boring mozzarella.
We would definitely recommend Doy-Doy. It's extremely inexpensive, and the food was delicious. The restaurant itself is nothing fancy, but really, at these prices, who would expect anything fancy? The food is the reason we would happily eat there again.