“One of the nicer tourist traps”
Review of Doy Doy Restaurant

Doy Doy Restaurant
Ranked #145 of 14,247 Restaurants in Istanbul
Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Sultanahmet
Reviewed January 16, 2013

If you stay in Sultanahmet, you will encounter a lot of overpriced tourist traps. Among these, Doy Doy stands out for being reasonably priced and having okay food. Of course it is aimed at tourists, and you won't find the tastiest food in Istanbul here, but it is good value for money given the district it is located in, and the food was fine. We had great service both times we visited, with a friendly waiter who was happy to offer advice when he had a spare moment.

On a Thursday night the upstairs was about half full. We ordered urfa kebap, beyti kebap, pomegranate juice, tea, baklava and sutlaç (baked rice pudding) and paid about 45 lira for it.

We also ate lunch on a Friday. It was not very crowded. We had kıymalı pide, kuşbaşılı pide and tea, for about 25 lira.

2  Thank Unfettered_A

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Central and easy to find location, simple menu, tasty food, fast delivery, polite staff, roof terrace with nice view, affordable prices (moreover, the bread is on the house). But no beer :(

Reviewed January 9, 2013

had not heard of this restaurant before we went to Istanbul,but happened to walk past and see the tripadvisor sign!
Cheap and cheerful providing you with authentic turkish dishes, worth a visit!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I love this place. I have been to it at least 40 times in the last ten years, the last time being on January 2, 2013.
Is everything equally good there? Well, no, some items are better than others. I like the etli patlijan kebab (meat with eggplant). It takes some time when you get the plate -- you'll need to strip the skin off the eggplant (jettisoning the skin of course) and you might want to ask for some crushed garlic for good measure but it makes for an excellent repast. Ask Yilmaz or another waiter how you have to clean the eggplant if you don't know how.
I found that items on the lunch menu are often not available but Yilmaz proposed that I eat the meat dish that was prepared for consumption by the staff and that was tasty enough. Etli (meat) pide I also like.
Yes, there are a lot of people patronizing the restaurant so sometimes service is a bit slow. Of items that I would be less likely to order would be the meat casserole (nothing too special) and lamb chops (too expensive). I am not a fan of burghul (that orange-colored couscous-like carbohydrate pictured in the photo) and always tell them to refrain from giving that to me. The big bread filled with air on the other hand is delicious. At Doy Doy, I have never ordered fish - just I consider that there are better places where fish is more likely to be turned around everyday (so more likely to be fresh) [for example, Ege in Kumkapi]. I don't particularly like how Arabs and Turks prepare chicken (prefer the preparation of chicken by Iranians and Indians) but I did try by accident the shish tavuk (chicken) and it was much better than I expected. I finished it even.
Please be aware there is no alcohol at Doy Doy. I like the juices (particularly pomegranate), the teas (like cinamon tea) and, of course, the turkish coffee. As a rule, I am not a fan of the water contained in small receptacles (with peel-off-able paper lids) purveyed in many cheaper turkish restaurants -- often I find that the water is not as fresh tasting as a bottle of mineral water. Ayran (turkish yoghurt) I also find blah (much bettter is sweet lassi at Indian restaurants).
One other thing: opening/closing hours. Off-season, Doy Doy may close as early as 930pm. It is not a breakfast venue either. At 10am, I found the wait-staff chopping vegetables with the cooks!

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Perhaps we had the work experience waiter but service wasn't the highlight of our visit to Doy Doy. Still, we were looking for value for money and, in a part of Istanbul awash with tourists and tourist catering, Doy Doy offered reasonably priced meals. If you like a Turkish pizza, you'll probably be happy. The sis tavuk was spicy but tender. Not much in the way of atmosphere but a steady flow of customers suggests Doy Doy is doing something right. We, though, won't be going back.