“Excellent”

Amiral Palace Hotel
Ranked #311 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed for four days at Amiral palace. The staff were friendly and helpful. They arranged for airport pickup and drop-off perfectly. Breakfast (all you can eat, included in the rest) was great! Great location. We had a corner room which was spacious with a great view of the sea of Marmara.

One night we faced a little inconvenience as water dripped from the AC. They fixed it next day, and put a basket of fresh fruits in our room. Wonderful way of saying sorry.

A wonderful mix of warm hospitality and professionalism.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Flew in from Athens and could not believe how BIG Istanbul had grown since my last visit 37 years ago. Offers of 45 to 55 Euros to take me to the hotel. Outragious. I tock train then transfered to tram. Hum, not again as trams are so overcrowded. At times hard to get on or off and thats without a bag. Transport sytem not able to cope with all the people, don't know how they expect to host the Olympics with such a poor transport system.My return trip to the airport by taxi only cost 20 euros from the hotel. Although driver for some reason seemed in a hurry or perhaps thought I was.

Hotel booked through Expedia and quote "Special Class". Not sure what they mean by this as the hotel is nothing out of the ordinary. Check in friendly. Room first floor. This had windows that opened to the breakfast conservatory. Expected noise in morning from guests dining but no. Room very dark. Mini bar with very expensive items. Bed comfortable. Televisions reception poor, no wonder as it is so small. Wifi. Computer availible in lounge but there are issues with Yahoo in Turkey and often unable to log in. Also keyboard different, another key for the "i" needs to be used. Ask reception and they will assist with a smile. Roof top has chairs with great views of water and blue mosque and rooftop restaruants in the area. A large tour group booked in while I was here. The size of this hotel not suited for this and other guests/ staff suffered. I was woken up 7am then 7.15 by wake up call. I did not ask for this. I was told the call was to wake up the two men in the room by the tour guide. There is only me and I am not in any tour. So much for my sleep.
Breakfast buffet would have been sufficient if the cooked dishes/eggs , sausages ect were hot instead of COLD. The food was in containers that are suppose to have candles under them to keep food hot. Try some cold egg.Yuk.

This area hums with activity. Short walk to the famous Mosques. On the other side of the square is situated the "PUDDING SHOP". Suprised to find it still there. When I came through 37 years ago I slept on the roof. It was aslo a backpackers then. There is a photo of B&H Clinton visiting the shop in the window but they were not there to sleep.It is very busy, that is food wise needless to say it is no longer a backpackers.

There is an abundance of eateries by the hotel, varied in price. Remember not to drink water that has not been treated. This should include salads as they are washed in water and you could end up with a nasty stomach. A visit to the bridge by the ferrys on the weekend to watch the fishermen is entertaining.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My daughter and me visited Istanbul for four days.
The location was perfect!! The highlights of Istanbul we did by feet.
Especially the service at the front desk was very friendly (we had so much fun with the staff), breakfast is absolutely ok, the room clean and the view from the roof terrace is wonderful.
We both felt every time a little bit like being at home.
We guess this is the biggest compliment you can make to a hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Hotel facilities are basic and clean, bathroom was very small though. Rooms were adequately equipped. Wi-fi available in reception, but I couldn't get it in my room.
However, like most city breaks, you don't spend much time in the hotel, as you are too busy sightseeing in this beautiful city! So all in all... the hotel was good.

The guys on Reception were extremely helpful, and arranged anything I asked for. Only criticism would be that, on arrival (after travelling for 10 hours straight), we were bombarded with a sales pitch to book onto excursions. I really regretted doing it (paid £100 for 2 excursions which really were not worth it!!), not realising that there are the open top sightseeing bus tours available, and everything was mostly within walking distance anyway. The guy, bless him, was really knowledgeable, and honest,... but he got me at a weak time.

What I loved the most about this hotel, was the location of it. 5 minute walk away from the Blue Mosque, and fantastic view from the terrace. It is on a hill, but like most of Istabul old town, it is expected.
The hotel is just off a main street full of bars, shisha places and restaurants. Really good atmostphere, where you can really enjoy the turkish hospitality,and, of course, the food!

All in all, I cannot fault this hotel. It does what you need. Clean accomodation, helpful staff & fantastic location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel where it is off the main roads/alleys
1  Thank Extranjera_inglesa
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We chose this hotel because of the reviews on trip advisor and we are so glad we did! The location was perfect, within walking distance of the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, the Grand Bazaar and loads of other tourist attractions. Our room and bathroom were small but comfortable and spotlessly clean and there was a real friendly feel to the hotel. We only ate breakfast in the hotel as there were loads of nice restaurants in the surrounding area. The choice at breakfast was adequate and the bread was delicious. We had such a nice welcome with tea on arrival. Veysel on reception organised our trips for us. He is such a nice guy and can't do enough to help and make you feel at home. He smiles constantly and is obviously very happy in his work. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mrsgetaway
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Hotel was excellent both in terms of location and in terms of an exceptionally friendly staff. Rooms were very clean and provided the types of facilities one would expect. The only down side in the whole accommodation issue was the narrowness of the entrance to the bathroom shower but no complaints.

The hotel is on a hill and may not be suitable for someone with ambient difficulties but otherwise the location could not be better.

Local restaurants were easily accessible within a few hundred metres but no noise in hotel.

I would certainly return to the Amiral Palace if I go back to Istanbul

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just back from 5 nights in the Amiral Palace. Good hotel for exploring the sights of the old city. Rooms were very small as was bathroom, but very clean and comfortable and not too much noise for a city hotel. Breakfasts were adequate with a good choice. Staff were very welcoming and Veysel at reception was especially helpful. Istanbul is an amazing city. The only down side is the traffic and the constant badgering to buy something or go into their restaurant. People were friendly but their one aim is to separate you from your money. They were mainly good humoured but it got a bit wearing after a while. The Topkapi Palace, Aya Sofia and Bosphorous trip were all very worthwhile. Loads of good eating places and if you're prepared to haggle the Spice Market and Grand Bazaar are good fun to browse and shop in. Loads of lovely parks and squares to rest and watch the world go by and at times it seemed that the whole world was there. 15 million people in Istanbul!

2  Thank TheHighlandsCrofter