“The Original Kosebasi”

Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Besiktas
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This restaurant chain began in Levent in a lovely restaurant where I have eaten twice, experiencing the inside and out of doors and enjoyed both dinners. The last time was late September 2013, dining on the elevated front patio. Some say the quality has declined over time, but I found both the food and service still excellent. Try the dishes particular to them: the GAVURDAGI SALAD (from the Adana-G. areas) is delicious: a mix of cut up tomatoes, onion, spices, & lemon juice. I had this along with their lahmacun (delicious--one of the best I've ever had) and an eggplant/yogurt dish (also excellent). They serve hot puffy bread with this. For the main dish, we both chose TARSUSI KEBAB (their own specialty) which is lowfat, minced lamb with spices--delicious (note: spicy!). Served with a roka (arugula) & onion sidedish. We enjoyed one glass of red wine each. For dessert, we chose another of their well-known dishes: KUNEFE. (It's a shredded wheat/butter/melted mild cheese dessert with kaymak on top) which is delicious. Our meal for two (with wine) cost 175 TL. This is where I'll take visitors to Istanbul. Don't miss it--at least once! (internet: www.kosebasi.com) address: Camlik Sokak No. 15, 3, Levent, Istanbul telephone: 212-270-

1  Thank TrishHWashington_DC

Reviewed September 2, 2013

KOSEBASI, ISTANBUL Kosebasi located in the Nisantasi area of Istanbul, is a high-end chain restaurant throughout Turkey and the Middle East. It has a star-studded clientele and is said to have some of the best kabob in Turkey and I would have to agree. It was one of our first and best meals. The Turkish bread was fresh, hot, chewy and light. The lamb and chicken kabobs had been marinated in delicious spices and were very tender. The meze ( starters) were delicious., We had pastrami hummus, bulghur salad, broiled eggplant with yoghurt, white cheese and barbecued eggplant. I love eggplant and the fact that I could have so many different kinds of eggplant in a meal was amazing –Two weeks later I took it for granted. The dessert was a semolina cake made with olive oil and pistachio ice cream. I didn’t know until I visited Turkey that semolina desserts are one of my favorite desserts. http://kosebasi.com/en
for more info http://havefunflysafe.com/2012/12/11/top-ten-meals-in-turkey/

Reviewed May 21, 2013

When Kosebasi first opened, it was a big hit and everybody was very fond of their quality kebabs. OVer time, I see that this quality put them at a comfort level and even caused their quality as well as their portion sizes to drop. The taste is somewhat the same maybe but the portions, quality of the service is a bit less..

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We were directed to this restaurant by our Hotel concierge. Co-incidentally it was also recommended by a business colleague so we decided it must be a good bet. We were right. The staff bought out the meze starters with lovely warm flat bread which tasted superb. We followed up with a mixture of kebabs also recommended by the waitress. Local wines were also not to be missed.
This was the best meal we had in Istanbul and the service was great We also went to the no 1 restaurant on the TA list and although that was very good we both liked this one better.
Cant recommend it highly enough.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Very pleasant restaurant located in a trendy neighborhood which serves a variety of tasty Turkish mezes (appetizers) which are not forced upon by the waiters, as it appears to be the custom in many restaurants in Istanbul. They offer an extensive choice of kebabs, well seasoned and cooked just right; the best I have eaten so far in this trip. The waiters were very good; they spoke a bit of English, which made it easy to order and they kept bringing baskets upon baskets of delicious freshly baked Turkish puffed bread; you could eat yourself silly!
The restaurant was well frequented, mostly with locals as well foreigners which did not appear to be tourists. This is the second time I have eaten there and will definitely return.