“Good Stay in an Excellent Location”
Review of Turvan Hotel

Turvan Hotel
Ranked #394 of 1,160 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed with a friend for 2 nights. We liked the location as it was close to attractions in Istanbul and well commuted. There was also a choice of restaurants. Breakfast was a good meal and pleasant atmosphere.
On the downside: it could have been cleaner and the the elevator boy did not have to be so upfront about a tip.

1  Thank SammySaiK

Reviewed January 5, 2013

was there with my friends for almost a week in December and Jan. Its location in Sultanahmet area is the only thing i like about the hotel. the fact of the matter is, i cannot think about anything else that could be considered a pro.

i never thought a property with 3.5 stars would be this bad, or does it really have 3 stars..?? i dont know. The day we arrived, there was no hot water in the bathroom. we complained 4 times and 2 people came to check and they left saying something in Turkish. somehow hot water was available the next day. Apart from the guy at the reception, nobody else speaks a word of English.
The room was shabby and there was not even a carpet in the bathroom which had midieval fittings. They did make up the room everyday though. We could here almost everything from other rooms and outside the building even though the windows were shut.
Their "high speed internet" was the slowest i have ever used. Had to buy a 3G pack on my mobile for my personal use.

It gives you an impression of a seedy lodge, to be utterly honest. Not making such a mistake again.!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

The hotels security guard harassed us asking us to join him for dinner and the likes. We weren't scared more annoyed than anything but it would be intimidating for a female traveling alone. Worse though is that the receptionist seemed to condone the behavior. The bathroom was filthy, you arrive feeling cleaner than when you leave. Redeeming quality our shuttlebus to the airport was on time and allowed us to get out of the place ASAP.

1  Thank SSSBBQ
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Due to a logistical flaw/anomaly on my part, all I needed was a cheap, clean, safe hotel room for my first night in Istanbul, near where a friend was staying. Turvan was cheap (60 TL for a single room, I think), clean enough, and safe on a quiet street.

When I went to check out in the morning, the desk attendant said I broke a rule the previous night, and they had it on camera. Obviously I knew I didn't break a rule, none were posted anywhere, and the night attendant (who sold me my room in the evening and was there when I returned at night) didn't inform me of any rules either. Naturally, I argued / refused to pay an extra fee. They didn't take kindly to that.

I'm only giving this hotel a Poor rating (rather than Terrible) because the room was sufficient. But if the room were worse, they'd get a worse rating.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Matt K
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Website advertises a fireplace and kitchenette in each room. This is absolutely false. None of the guest rooms come with such amenities. The hotel doesn't allow you to carry you own suitcases to you room and literally takes them from you hand. When they deliver them, the bellhops demand a tip. If you need a drinking glass for your room, expect to tip for the glass. The room we were provided had holes in the wall, toilet was not seated to the floor, bathroom extremely dirty, and room in general needing of a good cleaning. The positive of the hotel is the location, but there are numerous other hotels in the immediate area.

Room Tip: The is a mosque directly next to the hotel. Depends on whether you want to be awoken by prayers.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jasmine8675309
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I was visiting Istanbul from Los Angeles and I was a single female travelling. The hotel is at a very conveniently located place since all the touristic destinations are just walk distance away. There are great cafes and restaurants right outside the hotel and if u walk just for 2 minutes the options get more.
The staff is commendable, they are warm , helpful and makes u feel like home. I was too go out partying late at night and the gentleman at the reception made sure I sat in the taxi safe and secure. The breakfast option in the hotel is pretty decent and not just the usual cold breakfast served every where else. The staff at the hotel made the experience extra special for me.
The rooms are not over the top nice, they are decent enough to make u have a good night sleep.
I personally would recommend this hotel considering u pay very reasonable amount for the good services u get in return.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Nittisinghh
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I have spent 4 nights in Turvan that seems for us so nice because of location near to many touristic places (Topkapi, Aya Sofia, Basilic Citern, Grand Bazaar ....) and with good staff mainly Mr Ferhat who was very helpful for us from welcome time until last day. But the hotel needs some renewing for rooms and reviwing the Wifi coverage because it's very weak in rooms, I have gone down to reception to get connected.

Room Tip: For just walking around istanbul and shopping it's very good because it's near of everything...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family