“You get what you pay for, and rude service is free!”
Review of Turvan Hotel

Turvan Hotel
Ranked #370 of 1,159 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Due to a logistical flaw/anomaly on my part, all I needed was a cheap, clean, safe hotel room for my first night in Istanbul, near where a friend was staying. Turvan was cheap (60 TL for a single room, I think), clean enough, and safe on a quiet street.

When I went to check out in the morning, the desk attendant said I broke a rule the previous night, and they had it on camera. Obviously I knew I didn't break a rule, none were posted anywhere, and the night attendant (who sold me my room in the evening and was there when I returned at night) didn't inform me of any rules either. Naturally, I argued / refused to pay an extra fee. They didn't take kindly to that.

I'm only giving this hotel a Poor rating (rather than Terrible) because the room was sufficient. But if the room were worse, they'd get a worse rating.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Matt K
There are newer reviews for Turvan Hotel

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Website advertises a fireplace and kitchenette in each room. This is absolutely false. None of the guest rooms come with such amenities. The hotel doesn't allow you to carry you own suitcases to you room and literally takes them from you hand. When they deliver them, the bellhops demand a tip. If you need a drinking glass for your room, expect to tip for the glass. The room we were provided had holes in the wall, toilet was not seated to the floor, bathroom extremely dirty, and room in general needing of a good cleaning. The positive of the hotel is the location, but there are numerous other hotels in the immediate area.

Room Tip: The is a mosque directly next to the hotel. Depends on whether you want to be awoken by prayers.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jasmine8675309
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I was visiting Istanbul from Los Angeles and I was a single female travelling. The hotel is at a very conveniently located place since all the touristic destinations are just walk distance away. There are great cafes and restaurants right outside the hotel and if u walk just for 2 minutes the options get more.
The staff is commendable, they are warm , helpful and makes u feel like home. I was too go out partying late at night and the gentleman at the reception made sure I sat in the taxi safe and secure. The breakfast option in the hotel is pretty decent and not just the usual cold breakfast served every where else. The staff at the hotel made the experience extra special for me.
The rooms are not over the top nice, they are decent enough to make u have a good night sleep.
I personally would recommend this hotel considering u pay very reasonable amount for the good services u get in return.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Nittisinghh
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I have spent 4 nights in Turvan that seems for us so nice because of location near to many touristic places (Topkapi, Aya Sofia, Basilic Citern, Grand Bazaar ....) and with good staff mainly Mr Ferhat who was very helpful for us from welcome time until last day. But the hotel needs some renewing for rooms and reviwing the Wifi coverage because it's very weak in rooms, I have gone down to reception to get connected.

Room Tip: For just walking around istanbul and shopping it's very good because it's near of everything...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

I am staying in turvan since 2003 , and have always find it my second home ,
The property has been refurbished recently with drapes , washroom renovated ,
Small improvements are needed like fittings in the washroom needs a more experienced mason ,
Overall it's a nice and decent place ,
Very safe , can always always trust especially Mr Farhat ,

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was my 2nd stay in Turvan hotel, however I was very disappointed about changes in last 3 years. Especially fact that they didn't keep my reservation for a first night and offer me just substitution apartment nearby without any explanation or compensation and breakfast, where people with special diets has literally nothing to eat, makes my trip to Istanbul little worse this time. "Trifles" like no water in the morning just before our business responsibilities and reluctance of the hotel representative assure me, that this was my last time in this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Martin-Slovakia
Reviewed October 25, 2012

On arrival at the hotel at about 7pm we were informed that there was a problem with the family room. We were travelling with three young children. We were then taken to a dismal hotel and were to stay in the basement room, the stairs leading down were filthy, needless to say we refused. We were then taken to another hotel which was also not acceptable. When we informed the hotel that we would fin our own alternative accommodation we were taken to a like hotel. I do appreciate that they did find a hotel for us, but walking around the streets of Sultanahmet with three young children that late at night was not fun. With current internet facilities I feel the least they could have done was send a mail or a sms notifying us of the problem-

Room Tip: Can not comment on the hotel due to not actually having stayed there.
Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family