“Great hotel but VERY small room”
Review of Sirkeci Mansion

Sirkeci Mansion
Ranked #4 of 1,173 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Just got back from this hotel and we do agree with many of the comments already posted.

It is in an excellent position in a very quiet street a few minutes walk from Sultanahmet Mosque, Hagia Sofia and the cistern and only about 10 minutes to the waterfront area.

When we arrived we were welcomed like old friends and offered a drink and a member of staff then came and told us all about the hotel and its surrounds. We were then shown to our room, 1201 on the second floor. It was ok but really small and a good view of the air conditioning units.
In all honesty it wasnt the sort of room you wanted to spend to much time in,

The room was so small there was no drawers for clothes, only 1 bedside table and only 1 chair. If you had a large case you would have difficulty in finding somewhere to put it ! The TV was on the wall, just as well as there was no room for it anywhere else, in fact there was just room to get round the end of the bed, so I suppose the room was about 7’ 6” wide and about 11’ long. Thinking about it we should have said something early as it really was optimistic calling it a double !!!!! Our conservatory is bigger, and we got the impression this room was really a single
The ensuite was equally small, in fact tiny is probably a better description. On the TV very few English channels.

It was well decorated and the best thing we can say is stayed in better, stayed in worse. The real problem though was the air conditioning which had a mind of its own. Even when turned off it came on at odd hours, usually in the middle of the night, and no matter what it was set to the temperature was cold or cold. We did mention this and was told it was centrally controlled.

The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows, proper pillows too and plenty of them,. This is the first hotel in years where there was a real clock in the room.

We had breakfast in the restaurant every morning, average continental breakfast, but well cooked and a good selection of fruits. We had one dinner in the restaurant too and that was really lovely, and we really enjoyed it.

The real stars at this hotel though are the staff, I don’t think we have ever come across better. When we left though the maid obviously wanted us out as quickly as possible and as we were leaving she was going in.

Istanbul is a great place to go to and we really enjoyed our stay, We went to Topkapi, St Sofia, the Blue Mosque the underground system ( very impressive ) and over to the Asian side. We also did a Bosphorus cruise which I can really recommend.

One place not to miss is the Spice Bazaar, when we went on our last morning it was almost all locals and very few tourists, we loved it, It is not so huge as the Grand Bazaar and you can get ANYTHING and the spices are a fraction of what they are here. If we go back to Istanbul we would probably stay at the Sirkeci Konak again but we would ask for a bigger room.

Room Tip: Something larger than 1201 !!!!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
boyaci, Owner at Sirkeci Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

My Dearest Guest,

I am Faruk Boyaci, the owner of the Sirkeci Group Hotels & Restaurants. I would like to thank you for your kind review about Sirkeci Konak Hotel. I also appreciate you specifying negative aspects of our hotel. I assure you we will enhance any missing points to achieve full satisfaction of our guests.

Thank you again. If you visit Istanbul again, please let me know. You can contact directly at faruk@istanbul.com. I will be happy to be your assistant organizing your trip.

Faruk Boyaci

Write a ReviewReviews (3,049)

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed for 4 days in early October and it was a great experience. Reserved via the hotel internet site to get a discounted price by paying cash, a free dinner, and a free airport pick up. Questions asked via email prior to arrival were responded to promptly. Airport pick up worked well -- easily found agent with hotel sign and my name in a long line of such agents when I came through the exit doors having picked up my luggage. (Istanbul airport was very efficient and easy to navigate, lots of signage in English). Offered a welcome drink and personalized tourist info. Took the "cultural tour" on Saturday morning with Ramazam which was excellent. All the staff were extremely helpful, whether solving issues within the hotel or any other service provider in the city. Food was good, the location was excellent, rooms were comfortable and the hotel was very clean. Loved afternoon tea, do try the apple tea. Using the tram system was very easy. Istanbul is a very interesting city, very safe, with lots of good food and great sights. Street shopping and tons of restaurants in easy walking distance.

Room Tip: I had a single room on the 4th floor at the back. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank IzziePEI
boyaci, Owner at Sirkeci Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

My dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments and feedbacks. It is a great pleasure to host you at our hotel. I am so happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel. Please consider yourself as part of our family and it will make us happy to see you here again.

If you need anything from Istanbul or us, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards
Faruk Boyaci, the owner of Sirkeci Konak Hotel.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

First the problem - we purchased the airport pick-up and reminded the hotel, via email, a few days prior to arrival. One hour after flight arrival, no pick-up in sight. Driver from another service took pity on us, called the hotel and a half hour later the driver appeared.

To add to the evening, my travel companion's suitcase arrived on the baggage conveyor with the frame crushed and ripped. Foolishly, we went looking for our driver to get to the hotel rather than hunting down a Turkish Airlines representative.

Now the good part - Agah Okay Alkan - an employee of the Sirkeci Konak got photos of the suitcase, stored it at the hotel for the airlines, helped her write and send the emails with photos attached and assigned another employee to take her shopping to purchase a new suitcase. This man deserves a raise!

Now the hotel itself - Perfect location. Walk out the door and stroll a few blocks to all the major sites. The street is peaceful and some of the rooms had beautiful views. Room was good, wireless worked and breakfast offered an excellent variety. Restaurant attached to hotel (to the right when you face the hotel) is excellent as is the restaurant in hotel lobby.

Room Tip: Try to reserve a room facing the street as these have the views of the gardens.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

My dear guest,

I would like to thank you for your kind critics and feedbacks. First, we are deeply sorry to cause a problem at the beginning of your trip. We are here in this business all because of you, our precious guests. I promise, we will more carefully monitor not just transportation services but the whole business in order to prevent such incidents.

Second, It is relief to read that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel. I deeply consider you as part of our family and It will make us happy to see you back at home. If you need anything from Istanbul or us, please do not hesitate to contact me personally (faruk@istanbul.com).

Faruk Boyaci, the owner of Sirkeci Group Hotels

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Excellent experience during the stay. Stayed with wife and son for 3 nights, and were given a spacious room at 5th floor, balcony with great view and ratan furniture, king size bed plus an extra single bed, all amenities, spa, free wifi, and welcome plate of fruites and plate of lokum (turkish delights). Extremely helpful staff, immediately catering for all you needs, and giving helpful information and hints on ways to make your stay better. Great restaurant offering superb breakfast. Fitness and Welness center on site offering swimming pool, gym, sauna and a great turkish bath (Hammam). An exceptional stay, making me seriously consider change my flights and stay there much longer.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank GGol2005
boyaci, Owner at Sirkeci Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

My Dear Guest,

Such comments motivates us more than anything and shows us we are on the right path. We will look forward to seeing you with us in the family again.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights at the Sirkeci Konak in October 2012. The rooms are small, but beautifully and comfortably furnished, recently refurbished. The staff were uniformly friendly and helpful. Tea and snacks are on offer every afternoon starting 4:30. The breakfast buffet was excellent, offering a good variety of cold and hot dishes, breads, fruit, cereal, juices, coffee and tea. Honestly, I thought the breakfast buffet was better than the one on offer at the Four Seasons Sultanahmet, where we stayed for three nights on the same trip. The location is excellent, on a limited access street (so very little vehicular traffic), a short stroll to the Gulhane stop on the T1 tram line, and just a few blocks to Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, and all of the other sights in the old city. It's easy to get to Beyoglu, Taksim Square, Tunel, Istklal Caddesi, the Eminonu ferry, and the Sirkeci train station. The health facility is small, but bigger than one would have thought for a hotel of this size - separate men's and women's changing rooms, Turkish steam room, small plunge pool, massage rooms, and a workout room with a treadmill, free weights, and a couple of weight machines. Very nicely appointed. The first room they showed us was in the No. 1 building and was somewhat noisy - we heard everything through the walls and ceiling. We asked for another room and was quickly accommodated with a room in the No. 2 building where the rooms seemed to have better sound insulation. We were very comfortable and happy with the move despite giving up a bathtub for a shower stall. The rooftop terrace is quiet and a great place to take your afternoon tea!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. We found that rooms with numbers beginning in a 2 (the hotel is made from two...
2  Thank PDLJ

My Dear Guest,

I am Faruk Boyacı, I would like to thank you for your review about Sirkeci Konak Hotel. Such beautiful comments show that we are in the right path and make us motivated working with a great desire and passion. I really appreciate it.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly ( faruk@istanbul.com ) for further suggestions,or if you need any kind of assistance about Istanbul or Turkey. I will be very happy to host you again in Istanbul or in our hotel group when you come back.

Faruk Boyacı

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We loved our stay here! Our room was comfortable, well appointed and very clean. The staff was absolutely amazing! They never failed to impress us with their "above and beyond" response to anything we asked for (and a few things we didn't ask for). The location was perfect - easily walkable to all the historic sites. We signed up for the Turkish cooking class offered by the hotel and had a fabulous time. We also ate at the three restaurants owned by the hotel group and were impressed by them as well. We would highly recommend.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

My Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review and appreciate your kind comments.

Best Wishes from Istanbul Sirkeci Konak Family

Faruk Boyacı

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We were absolutely "blown away" by the outstanding service and attention given to us at our recent 2-night stop-over at Sirkeci Konak. Reception, especially Araz, was kind and thoughtful and went out of his way to make us feel comfortable. Compared to other hotels, we felt like people he had known for ever, not just a number in the hotel system.

A definite plus is that this hotel is situated within walking distance of many of Istanbul's attractions. As well, there is a pleasant park right next door which makes for some relaxing time away from the hustle and bustle of Istanbul's city life.

We appreciated afternoon tea being available from 4.30ff. We ate at the Hotel Restaurant in the evening; food and service were excellent.

My dear guest,

I would like to thank you for your review and it is very nice and important for me to hear that you very much enjoyed your stay. I am proud of my staff that they try all their best.

Thank you again. You should come again for a longer stay and let me know that I can help you organizing your trip in Turkey