“Good hotel, terrible location”

Steigenberger Hotel Maslak Istanbul
Ranked #188 of 1,149 Hotels in Istanbul
Brisbane, Australia
“Good hotel, terrible location”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton Maslak for 5 nights on a recent trip to Turkey. The hotel itself is lovely, though expensive (i.e. meals, laundry, etc). The hotel is also very inconviniently located for tourists. It would be a greta choice for business travellers no doubt but is a terrible choice if you want to see the sights of Istanbul.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
sheratonmaslak, General Manager at Steigenberger Hotel Maslak Istanbul, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, we were so pleased to welcome you and felt great sense of gratefulness that you chose to stay with us.

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with the Sheraton Istanbul Maslak.

We are delighted to receive your positive comments as nothing can be more gratifying than favorable comments from our guests.

On the otherhand as you mention Sheraton Istanbul Maslak is located in a business area which is all global company offices located around. We receive mostly business travelers. Our location is very convenient and the metro is 5 minutes by walking for them. On the other hand our location is near by Bosphorus indeed business plazas with access to city by metro and shopping centers around the hotel.

Your satisfaction and comfort are our first priority.

Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

With our deepest regards

t — 90.212.335.9999 f — 90.212.285.0952

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I am a SPG Platinum member, and stayed in Sheraton Maslak, for almost 4 months now, not at a stretch, but coming and going very often, and may a times staying everytime for atleast a month. I must say, that if there were 7 stars in rating, I would have given all of them.
The view of the city, bosphorus river and the skyline of Istanbul, is just breathtaking from the rooms I have stayed in. Also the extra large room size in this hotel, is amazing, and offers you the coziness you miss being away from home.
There have been so many occassions, where in I was offered free gifts, and invitations, and other surprises waiting for me, when I entered the room many times., right from a Turkish Coffee Cup, to passes for a Latino Carnival, to complimentary cookies and fruits.
Everytime, the hotel staff at the Reception (Mr. Emir and all others), and others have always been very generous and fulfilled my every request, related to choice of room, payment options, and other preferences.
I would like to thank each and every staff of Sheraton Maslak, for their never-ending hospitality.
Would like to mention some special staff members, and thank them specially for their support -

Room Service - Mr. SERKET & Mr. VEDAT - Have always been very quick in responding to each of my requests.

Breakfast at Cafe 333 - Mr. OMER IRDO, Mr. BARIS IRPANOGLU, Miss SONGUL - Have always been very hospitable and served me very well, and made me feel special each day in the morning. I am very thankful to them for their love and support.

HouseKeeping Staff - SEVIM KOSAN - have always made sure that the room is well kept and I am offered a very good stay.

I always look forward to stay at Sheraton Maslak, hotel as I feel like being at home here.
If there is a room of improvement, I would like to say, that the Hotel RoomService Menu should include more cuisines, like Asian and Turkish for sure. Also, some of the staff could work on their english speaking skills.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback that you have shared in TripAdvisor following your stay in Sheraton Istanbul Maslak.It was such a pleasure to read your positive comment regarding your stay.

It was such a pleasure to receive your positive comments as nothing can be more gratifying than favorable comments from our guests. Your satisfaction and comfort are our first priority.

The entire team of the Sheraton İstanbul Maslak hotel is at your disposal for any kind of requirements you may have during your stay in our fabulous city.

We hope to welcome you back on many more occasions and provide you with the finest Turkish hospitality at the Sheraton Istanbul Maslak Istanbul.

Again thank you for your thoughtful comments.

With our deepest regards,

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed October 26, 2013

After a very long flight we finally arrived at our hotel. Initial greetig was very friendly and welcoming. We went to our room and went to bed. I had chosen this hotel as it was the preferred one as a starting point for our tour of Turkey, We chose to stay 2 extra nights prior to departing.
After awaking the next morning and ready for a much anticipated shower I entered the bathroom.
I don't think that this bathroom had been cleaned for quite a while. Excessive black mould in the shower area around tiles and fittings, towel shelve hanging off the wall; at an angle, loose floor tiles I was apprehensive to get in the shower area and generally felt that it was in need of a renovation. Our towels were thread bare, with holes in them,stained and very hard, ready for the garbage bin not a 5 star hotel!. Very disapointed to say the least. I immediately went down to reception and listed my concerns. I was told initially that they would send a person up to have a look at the problems, but, I said that it would take more than this to fix it and I would like another room so we could at least have a shower and become comfortable. My concerns were listened to and I handed them a list for their attention which I was assured would be handed on for review. We were then moved to another room which was what I would have expected initially and the view and general condition of the room was much better.I thank the staff for their assistance andfrom there on we enjoyed our stay.
Another point and after researching this myself I was under the opinion that we were in a central location. We were central to the CBD and quite a far dustance away from anywhere. Depends what you want but this did not suit us.

Room Tip: may I suggest another hotel depending on your needs as to location. Don't assume because your to...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cathie M
sheratonmaslak, Guest Relations Manager at Steigenberger Hotel Maslak Istanbul, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Regarding your comments we were sorry for the problems that you faced in our Hotel during your accommodation. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.We would like to kindly inform you that we have shared the issue with the related department also your complaint has been discussed by the hotel’s management.

Through the guidance of your feedbacks we are able to see and eliminate the mistakes in our control mechanism which is the first step towards improvement of our services.

We appreciate your patronage and we look forward to welcoming you back in effort to provide you the level of service you expect from our hotel.

hyderabad
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for about 2 weeks. I found the rooms are clean and internet connection was also good. Room service and helpdesh people were very nice. The only problem I felt was they dont welcome with smiling face rather they always have a very serious face.
Littel bit slow in service but at the end of the day, all fine.
Thanksful to Adem and Emirhan, serkan from the front desk were very helpful and coopertative.

Farooq

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mohammed f
Dear Guest,

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature.Also your constructive feedback is also much appreciated as your satisfaction and comfort are our first priority and highest mission.

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for business. The hotel is huge. The rooms upstairs have a great view on Istanbul.
Room are spacious. Breakfast was very good.
Outside the hotel nothing is close except the business area so it was fine for me. And also the metro station is close by, u can use it to get to the touristic places such as Taksim.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future. Thank you for choosing Sheraton Istanbul Maslak.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed in this hotel before embarking on a tour of Turkey and it was awful. The room we had was supposed to be on a non smoking floor but it reeked of smoke. The towels were hard, my husband had to fix the shower head to stop it falling on our heads and the handle fell off the door to the room. The staff apart from in the restaurant were unfriendly and made you feel as though you were just a nuisance just staying there. The breakfast and dinners were just mediocre and there were very few choices to eat outside of the hotel. There was no free wifi in the rooms, only in the lobby. The only good thing was that that the beds were comfortable.
This place might be okay for business people but for tourists it is just not suitable as it is a long way from any of the attractions of the city.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the 11th floor unless you like the smell of smoke.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Hilversum
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed here on a recent business trip and found the room and service to be below the usual Sheraton standard. There was black mould in the bathroom and plug socket/light switch next to the bed was not properly fixed to the wall. Being in a club room I went to use the business lounge which was a very unwelcoming space in the basement and on the 2 occasions I went down there were no staff available, the wine bottles were empty and what few tables there were had not been cleaned. On one occasion the door was propped open and there seemed to be a large and loud business meeting going on I got such a nasty look when I entered the room that I left.
I won't stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
sheratonmaslak, Guest Relations Manager at Steigenberger Hotel Maslak Istanbul, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback that you have shared in Trip Advisor following your stay in Sheraton Istanbul Maslak.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the problems that you faced in our Hotel during your accommodation.We would like to inform you that we already shared the issue with the related department also your complaint has been discussed by the hotel’s management .
We were very disappointed to read that you were disappointed with standard of your room. Our guests in room experience is a top priority for us and I would like to apologise that your room did not meet the standard you expected.And also our Club Lounge team have taken this feedback on board and will ensure that they try to their best our guests request.

Sheraton Istanbul Maslak is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance.
We look forward to provide our guest the level of service they expect from Sheraton Hotels.

Ulku Kizilkaya