“Overrated” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 1,012 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Overrated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Cramped, lots of narrow stairs, booked a room with a sea view weeks before and was given a small basement room, noisy from apartment block next door with telephones and conversations on their terrace till early am, pleasant staff. The complimentary reviews on this guesthouse are misleading, this is a backpackers hostel with a nice terrace for breakfast but with basic conditions.

Room Tip: Ask for top room with sea view, top room facing apartment block is noisy. This is a backpackers area...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Great location, good service and very helpful staff. Rooftop terrace with a view of the Marmara sea. Rooms are clean and basic, though fairly good value for its location. Breakfast is good though limited in range.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Easter Island, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

I spend a great time in this guesthouse. Located in a small and quiet street just 5 minutes walk fron Aghia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. Free WI Fi. No lift. Friendly and helpful owner and staff. I loved my room with privat bathroom and a fantastic bed (301) and without tv. The breakfast was served in a nice and sunny terrace. I definitely I want come back.

• Stayed April 2014
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

For our first trip to Istanbul we couldn't have been staying at a better place. The location was near most of the major places to see. It was lovely being able to walk to most of them. The guesthouse was really clean, breakfast delicious. The terrace upstairs had a view of the Bosphorous so lovely to sit outside and have a drink. The staff were really helpful and spoke excellent English. We loved the fact it was a family run place. We would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Maribor, Slovenia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

We enjoyed our stay in Marmara Guesthouse. It is a nice, small hotel with very kind owners, always ready to help and to give advice. Their kitchen has always been opened, breakfast was delicious, especially home made jams. Rooms are very nice and clean. Location is excellent, close to great Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia.
During our stay we felt very comfortable and welcomed.
For our next trip to Istanbul, we will for sure choose Marmara Guesthouse again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Ayia Napa, Cyprus
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

I have send an availability request to the hotel and at 11.00 a.m. they replied to me that they have free room. The same date I bought air tickets and at 18.00 p.m. confirmed to the hotel by email that we want to book the room. On their website the payment form can only be filled with Internet Explorer, but at home I have Mac laptop and Safari. So I filled the form next Morning, at 11.00 a.m. from my work computer using IE. Website showed that the room was free, and I confirmed reservation with my credit card. But at 16.00 p.m. the hotel send me email that they will not accommodate us as they gave our room to someone else!
I am a frequent traveller but such situation happened with me for the first time. I will not advise anybody to book the room in this BB as your booking and providing card details is just nothing for them - they can cancel your booking and accommodate someone else.
I hope that at the end they will not charge my card as I gave all the details to them through their website.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Smarty_Yulia
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

Marmara Guesthouse is a nice base when visiting Istanbul.

Location: The location in Sultanahmet is ideal. The guesthouse is close to the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, and Topkapi Palace. There are also many restaurants in the area, even if they are geared more toward tourists than locals. The owner also provided us with a map which was very useful for getting around the city.

Service: The customer service was great. We paid to have an airport pick up and just to be clear, it's not someone from the guesthouse that picks you up, but rather an airport shuttle company. There was a bit of a mix-up with our pick up. The driver was late and it took close to an hour and a half to get from the airport to the guesthouse. To be clear, this was NOT the guesthouse's fault, but rather the fault of the driver. When I told one of the owners, she told us that our late pick-up was unusual and that she would arrange a shuttle back to the airport for us free of charge. I had also originally booked a standard room, but was placed in an economy room when we checked in. When I brought this to the attention of the owner, she kindly offered to reimburse us the price difference of the room, which is really all I wanted. I didn't mind staying in the economy room because we only needed a place to sleep. In sum, I thought the owners handled everything really well and I was satisfied with everything.

Breakfast: The breakfast at Marmara is lovely. There are fresh fruit and vegetables on offer, honey, several jams (try the fig jam! it's delicious!), chocolate spreads, bread, yogurt, teas, coffee, and water. The breakfast set us up for 2 full days of exploring Istanbul. We had an early flight out of Istanbul after our last night there and I'm actually quite sad that I missed the breakfast because it was so good! Plus the view from the rooftop terrace is great! I enjoyed eating breakfast and looking out to Istanbul's coastline.

All in all, Marmara Guesthouse is a great place to stay when visiting Istanbul.

Room Tip: If you just need a place to sleep while exploring Istanbul, the economy rooms are a good option beca...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple