“Trek To Florence Nightingale Museum”
Review of Florence Nightengale Museum - CLOSED

Florence Nightengale Museum
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Lovers of nursing history will appreciate this museum, located in the barracks where Florence Nightengale lived during the Crimean War.
Chicago, Illinois
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Trek To Florence Nightingale Museum”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I loved today … although I didn't get to see the museum. It was an excuse for an adventure I wouldn't otherwise have taken -- it's good to have a destination. Today was my day to explore Istanbul's ferries. Very fun. I went from Beskitas to Uskudar. Then walked alongside the Bosphorus (stopped for tea on the way) past Harem. I hadn't read any of the Trip Advisor posts before going … Stopped at the very PINK Harem Hotel to ask directions. He tried calling the place but no answer. He gave me directions to walk, but I walked the wrong way -- went up a side street and had freshly made pide (which is kind of like pizza without the red sauce) and in the shape of a boat. Eventually, walked up into the military complex (on the map it looks like it's called Selimiye). Went through security. Talked to some very nice Turkish soldiers who called the commander and … got turned away. Given info to fax my passport … Walked back and took the ferry from Harem to Emininou … metro to Taksim. So much fun exploring Istanbul and getting to the "Asian" side (where it seems less English is spoken)!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank katthewolf

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

We did visit in November! I faxed on 19th and they rang our hotel to arrange our visit on 22nd- I was really impressed with their responsiveness and administration. As a UK trained nurse, I really wanted to go here. Overall it's a shame that they are missing so much! I'd love a week there to make it clearer and more relevant! Instead I will continue to bore students with the stories!
I would strongly recommend going there- such courteous staff and the. Captain who took us round was very enthusiastic and proud of what they have.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Mcccmmcc
Athens, Greece
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Why we did not get into the museum in November 2013”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We read all the instructions and tried over several days to contact the barracks without success so we decided that since we wanted to visit the Crimean war cemetery nearby we would turn up anyway and try our luck. The soldiers at the gate were very kind and we were taken in to a small waiting room with easy chairs (very welcome after a long walk). After a short time another soldier came in and said that there were no tours in the winter, and that these would start again in April. We were courteously escorted out. Everyone spoke excellent English.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Gail N
Province of Rome, Italy
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 441 helpful votes
“Great experience with amazing feelings..”
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

The first thing that you have to do is to fax a letter requesting to visit and aranging a time. And do not forget add your passport photocopy to this fax. And do this 48hours before with 0216 310 79 29. The museum building is marvelous. During the crimean war this placed become a military hospital where the famous lady with the lamp and 38 nursing students worked. Nightingale puts in practise the nursing methods that the history remembers her. There is an amazing historical peninsula view from Nightingale's living room...

6 Thank travelingwithdaph
Vietnam
394 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 437 helpful votes
“An excellent half day excursion into history”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

You do have to plan your visit in advance. Get your hotel or travel agent in Istanbul to fax a copy of the front page of your passport 3 days in advance of the day you wish to visit the museum. They will contact you with a time. Make sure you allow plenty of time to get there. If you are late you will not be allowed in until the next visitor(s) arrive. It is housed in the working military barracks of the 1st Army. This in itself is worth seeing as military service is compulsory in Turkey for all young men. Make sure you take your passport to show that it matches the faxed one they have on file. You go through security like at the airport and surrender your camera and mobile phone. They are put in a locker and you get the key. Remember to get them when the visit is over. You are taken by car to the building that houses the museum. The long corridors have all the polish you would expect in a barracks. A very knowledgeable major took us around and explained all the exhibits. This included memorabilia from Florence Nightingale's life and career. She was evidently a very modest woman so there are not a lot of mementos, but one room is set up to contain furniture of that era, and yes, there is that lamp. One of the exhibits is a letter in her handwriting that explains her philosophy of nursing.
According to the major, this letter is still given to each new batch of students at the nursing school. He showed us the spot on the Bosphorus where the injured soldiers were brought by ship to be transported up the hill to the hospital. On the way back to my hotel I noticed a sign saying Florence Nightingale Hospital. She is revered here in Istanbul as she is in so much of the world, and her name and memory lingers on. Well worth the visit if you have the time.

Visited September 2012