“Exceeded my expectations” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #251 of 1,121 Hotels in Istanbul
Seal Beach, California
“Exceeded my expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2011

I just returned from Istanbul several days ago and thought I'd write the review while fresh in my mind. While planning for this trip to Istanbul I needed a low-cost but comfortable accommodation in old Istanbul. Here are the factors that led me to book with Adora Hotel: First, the cost was the biggest attraction in booking here versus other boutique hotels in the area (self-defined as within approximate 1/2 mile area centered around the Hagia Sophia).

The Arrival: I stayed four nights, which was one day above the minimum requirement to qualify for a free shuttle transport from Ataturk International Airport. Without the shuttle, I would have taken the two train systems in if it were daylight (which, incidentally, I used from the Adora Hotel back to Ataturk International Airport, and it was painless, cost a total of 4TL, and took only 45 minutes with one transfer). The van shuttle arranged by the Adora Hotel had a lot of value since my arrival was in the evening and the shuttle dropped me off right at the front of the hotel. Finding this property on foot or at night may be challenging without a map of old Istanbul/Sultanahmet. However, this property is located only about 150 feet from the north platform entrance of the Gulhane rail station, just northeast up Hudavendigar Cadessi (where the street bends sharply to the northwest) towards Eminonu whart, but actually sits on a narrow connector street that joins Hudavendigar Cadessi with Ebussuut Cadessi. The hotel's very close proximity to the Gulhane rail station is another major benefit of staying here.

Check in: It was very fast and friendly, and my room, 101, was on the second floor (considered the 1st floor in Europe). The front desk staff seemed to be knowledgeable about the major tourist attractions and even some not so popular. They reminded me that the breakfast buffet is open from 7 am to 10:30am

About the Room: I had a single room and it was tiny, maybe 9' x 9', so if you have a lot of luggage, it will be cramped. There is a double bed just barely big enough for two (and unclear if you can book a single room for two) but can comfortably sleep one person. The mattress could use a replacement as it dipped slightly near the edge of the bed but still very firm in the middle of the bed. The bed itself was clean and the sheets were slightly crisp, which felt very good to the touch. There was an in-room split a/c unit and a radiator heater, so comfort can be maintained throughout the seasons. I was not sure how to actually control the a/c or heat, but the heater was on in my room periodically that kept it around 70 degrees. There is a small nightstand with a small reading lamp.

A small wardrobe closet was available but it was narrow in space but adequate for my needs. The wardrobe closet also contained a room safe, which I could not figure out how to operate as its instructions were a little different than safes I've used at US hotels.

There is a small writing desk with mirror. Above the desk is small flat screen television. I only found programming in everything but English, but then I did not go through every channel seeking English channels. The room rate allowed free access to the wifi, which was fast for my business email needs.

The bathroom is not terribly large but it's efficient and clean with a lavatory, small glass shelf for toiletries (where small bar soap and shampoo are provided, a toilet and shower. I'm usually afraid of dirty and mildew-infested bathrooms in little boutique hotels in countries outside the U.S., but this bathroom was very clean. My bathroom had nice blue tile and the water pressure was very good with an abundance of hot water.

The Drawbacks: Let me start by saying this is a non-smoking hotel, so it had great appeal. Yet, it was the cigarette smoke that creeped into the lobby from the outside that was a small annoyance; and this smoke was caused by some of the front desk staff and others outside when the front door is left open. I believe updrafts going up the stairway draws cigarette smoke through the front entrance, and ultimately made its way into my bedroom under the door or the door frame. I remedied this buy putting a bathtowel at the bottom of the door and slightly opening the bedroom double-paned window to keep the smoke from creeping in. I’m very sensitive to smoke but for many this would not be too noticeable or a deal breaker. There was evidence that guests smoked at the window with it open and then threw their spent cigarette butts in the planters outside the windows, but the room itself did not have any smell of cigarettes other than what I cited above.

The window in my room (and presumably in the rooms at least in the front of the hotel) are double paned and do a good job at muting outside noise inside the room. Nonetheless, with the windows kept open, another drawback to some might be the sound of people eating at restaurants late at night, and the light rail line that runs about every 5 minutes for each direction. Also the call to prayer starts at sunrise which was intriguing and not the least bit loud or offensive. The light rail line does pass every five minutes. In sum, if you keep the wiindows closed you probaby won't hear much from the outside inside the room.

Breakfast Buffet: A nice Turkish style breakfast is provided in the rate. It contained several hot egg dishes including hard boiled, cut weiners in a tomato sauce, cold cuts, delicious cheeses, fresh cut vegetables, fresh fruit, yogurt, honey, cereals, and three kinds of bread including the famous sesame bread rings. There is coffee, varieties of teas, and a juice machine that dispensed four varieties including apple, orange, pineapple. I advise getting to the buffett close to 7 am to get the widest selection.

Miscellaneous: There are a number of little markets to buy bottled water with five litre bottles going for 2TL. There is an elevator if the stairway is not to your liking. There are plenty of shops and restaurants within a five minute walk or less from the Adora Hotel. Don’t forget that the light rail is available at your doorstep.

I normally wouldn't rate this hotel above a three star rating in the US but for Istanbul I gave it four stars because it is a three star property (based on standards outside the United States) and it left a really good impression. My expectations on service, comfort, and location were exceed relative to its proximity to the major tourist attractions and accessbility. If you’re seeking a place to spend your sleeping hours in modest but clean comfort, this is one of several hotels you’ll want to consider.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the street.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank rodjune

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tubac, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

The location is perfect, across from the Topkapi Palace and 2 blocks from the entrance to the Archeological Museum. The hotel is older and not elaborate, but safe, clean and has a wonderful staff, especially Burhan, who were willing to answer all our questions. We couldn't have been happier.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Bali, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

My family of 3 adults just spent 5 nights (Nov 2011) at the Adora hotel. and have nothing but wonderful things to say about the place. I booked the hotel entirely based on Trip Advisor ratings and took the plunge based on the reviews I'd read, their location, availability, breakfast included and their special offer for free one way complimentary airport pick-up. The internet response to my booking came quickly and efficiently. The room on the 5th floor was clean and adequate for our needs. Breakfast was included in the rate and that was really a great selection. Breakfast was not only bread and cheese, but a varieyt of breads and cheeses, fruits, juices, olives, boiled and scrambled eggs and sausages. The small hotel is centrally located a min from a tram station and right across the street from the side entrance of the Topkapi palace and very easily within a no sweat leisurely walk to the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Basilica Cistern, Grand Bazaar, Egyptian Spice Market, Bosphorus Tours, New Mosque. The room had everything we needed, a safe, refrigerator and even a little corner to have our luggage and a vanity table & in room and dining room internet. My only comment for improvement is that they need better lighting in the bathroom.
Best of all the staff was over and beyond helpful and friendly. They went out of their way to contact us at the airport where we were waiting for our daughter who had missed her flight. We waited in vain at 2 am in the airport not knowing this and when our daughter in desperation called them from Paris, they went out of their way to contact us via the hotel pick-up person and waited till we finally got to the hotel, ready to assist with anything we needed. They deserve a medal for their dedication to the cause. They patiently explained instructions for getting wherever we needed to go. The staff get 5 stars and a big thank you for their patience and fantastic can do attitude.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JavaMama58
Scottsdale AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

We spent a total of 6 nights in this hotel, 4 in the beginning of our trip and 2 at the end. The hotel is small and the staff is very helpful. Breakfast is included and is a good typical Turkish breakfast. One of the best things about it is the location. Walking distance from Topkapi palace, the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia the Galata bridge and even closer to a tram stop. Just a great location. In our first visit we were in a "triple room" which was a reasonable size and comfortable. The last two nights were in a "double room" which was pretty small but still comfortable. No problems with the I don't know if you can do better for the price

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

Hotel Adora was really an excellent choice:

Location -- around the corner from the metro; with the windows closed, it was not close enough to be noisy, but close enough to be within walking distance. If you pick a hotel right on the main line, there tends to be clanging sounds. Hotel was also within walking distance to all the important sites, Hagia Sofia, Blue Mosque, etc., also within 10-15 min. to Eminonu. Scenery along the street of the metro is very charming and picturesque so that the walk is not boring. Most importantly, it is located in a very nice area so that walking at night feels very safe. There were several young women staying alone at the hotel. Restaurants along the metro are more expensive, but not necessarily better. Hotel is also within 5-10 min. walk of some really cheap and good eateries; we were able to buy fresh squeezed orange juice for 1TYL at some cafes.

Staff -- really the gem of the place. The manager Erdi and the staff were friendly, funny, and helpful. Even just walking by us while we were waiting for the elevator, they would take the time to press the elevator button for us. They made the entire experience very warm and friendly. Our flight was at 2pm, but they allowed us to have a late checkout. In general, the people in Istanbul have a great sense of humor and are always trying to joke with you. If you have been in hotels in which it felt like you owed the staff something, then this hotel will really be a great experience.

Hotel Services -- Can't complain too much about this place because they gave us room upgrade, and our room ended up being quite sizable for us. Also, the airport shuttle used by the hotel is only 50TYL, which was the cheapest that I would've found by myself, so they definitely didn't add any additional fees. It is charming and quaint in its decorations; there is heater, a/c, and hot water; and it is very clean. However, do note that this is an older hotel so it does feel more like an authentic experience than staying at a Hilton.

Local Sites -- Topkapi Palace was not as great as everyone says that it is; extremely crowded and even though you are not supposed to smoke on the grounds, tourists stink up the place and some of the guards also do as well. The Harem is also not as great as claimed -- not that many rooms are open and there is no furniture as in the Dolmabahce Palace -- only good thing about the place is that fewer people are in there.

2 Thank J R
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

Istanbul is an amazing city with sooo much to see and do! The people are friendly and the food fabulous! Hotel Adora is no exeption. The staff was helpfull and friendly, and breakfasts good. The beauty of the hotel is its location as it is in walking distance to the main attractions. The rooms are small and packing space limited. However, the hotel has an outside deck where drinks are served and the passing parade can be observed. If you do not intend spending too much time in your room, this is the ideal hotel!

2 Thank LUANDRI
Sterling, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

I really wish I could write a good review because the staff at the Adora was wonderful. However, the mattress was hard as a rock, the room was either freezing cold or swelteringly hot, the shower ran all night (not just dripped, but actually ran), and the heating unit vibrated and shook so that my husband and I were unable to sleep a wink.

The hotel owner needs to do some major upgrades: new mattresses, new heating units, and plumbing repairs. Even though the location is wonderful, the hotel was not cheap, and it was definitely NOT worth what we paid. I would have gladly paid more per night to stay in a place where we could get some sleep. We stayed for three nights at the end of two weeks in Turkey, and we ended up going home utterly exhausted.

I cannot recommend this hotel. People staying at Adora were asking for new rooms, but the new were as bad as the old. We saw at least two parties leave early to go to other area hotels. It's a shame as the rooms were clean, though quite small, and it has a lot of potential. I hope the owner will invest some money to make it livable.

• 2 of 5 bubbles