“AWFUL!!!!!! Worst place i've stayed in whole of Turkey.”

Chillout Classic Hostel
Ranked #395 of 1,200 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
London, United Kingdom
“AWFUL!!!!!! Worst place i've stayed in whole of Turkey.”
Reviewed September 6, 2010

This place is to be avoided! It is wildly overpriced for what it offers.

I've traveled to many places around the world, and I'm not particularly bothered by some poor standards...however, this place is only interested in your money and not the well-being of its customers.

I've been to Turkey (& Istanbul) 3 times and have stayed all over the country in accommodation of varying budgets and this is by far the worst (it has inspired me to contribute to this website). We stayed here as we didn't have time to look around for different options (and our favourite hostel was full)...big mistake!

Bed bugs, dirty bed-sheets, badly looked after toilet facilities....and it was the only place in Turkey that didn't provide a fan (in Summer!!!). Even small rooms in the countryside provided this basic option. It was a suffocating & itchy nights sleep. Also our view was of a dirty brick wall (which we could touch, as it was so close), which housed pigeons, who tried to get into our room at one stage. On top of that the bedroom window was broken, so it couldn't be moved...and the glass was shattered anyway!!!!!

PLEASE AVOID!!!!!! There are plenty of better options in Istanbul. This place is definitely not a Chill Out.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank solomon_pax

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Turkish first
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Filthy, noisy, mouse-infested, wildly over-priced. One of the worst places I've ever stayed.

I've travelled to over 80 countries and have stayed everywhere from 5 star hotels to youth hostels. And this is truly the worst place I've ever stayed in terms of cleanliness, value for money and quality of sleep.

It's wildly over-priced. It's filthy (I saw three mice while there). It's incredibly noisy (noise comes from a facing club, from the staff and from adjoining rooms through the paper-thin walls). And it's maintained with about as much care as a prison.

The only upside is the location (it's in a fun area). But the price is exorbitant (approx 40 euros for a filthy 'single room' which is more like a filthy prison cell). After one day I checked out and found a very clean hotel for half the the price with air conditioning, TV, clean sheets, friendly service and a great bathroom (Hotel Hatay).

Absolutely don't go to the Chillout Hostel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

USA
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Lots of negative reviews of this place. Why so sour? For the record, I'm middle-aged and chose this place because I had an early flight out of Istanbul the next morning and didn't want to spend a huge amount of money for a few hours of sleep. Place is cleaner than many say, including bathroom, and I was able to reserve a room that is normally for three. Got a few hours of sleep in a room with a nice view of the street below (and a good breeze). Staff is very nice, amazing location--I could walk easily to the direct Havas bus to either airport. Stairs are steep and hall lights switch off, so be aware of that. I would stay here again--

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2010

Great location, I would definitely recommend staying in Beyoglu as opposed to Sultanhamet, it is much less touristy. But this hostel leaves a lot to be desired. There are three Chillouts and we stayed at CO LYA, they are all the same owners so I assume they are probably all the same. We were pretty much the only people in the hostel and it was just poorly run. They were pretty cool though, they let us leave a bag with them whilst we went away for a few days to Cappadocia. The worst part was that we got bed bugs, I had never had them before and it freaked me out. Try somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 6, 2010

I booked Chillout as a one-night stop to store our bags and have a nap (our flight left at 6am so we thought it would be nice to have a bed in case we didn't stay out all night).

Yuck! We got there around 8am to put our bags up, and it was pretty gross from the doorway on. There was a big piece of furniture and what looked like an old arcade game in the small space where you first walk in, then a tiny tiny staircase up to the reception that was decorated with weird graffiti (if you could call it that). The whole place was really dirty.

When we got to reception, the guy put our bags in "storage" which was just an unlocked laundry room in the lobby area. Afterward, we stopped at a much nicer hostel I had stayed at before, and they fit us in for about 2/3 the price.

When we got back around noon, the same reception guy didn't remember us at all, but at least he agreed to cancel our reservation. I haven't been charged yet and it's been about 4 days. So that's the one plus, he was pretty nice.

I didn't see the rooms and didn't sleep there, but when I got to my new hostel I mentioned that I had booked at a gross hostel and he named it right away, so I think it's the general consensus in the area! Definitely try to stay near Taksim though. That was the original reason I booked it, for location.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed November 6, 2009

After three weeks in Turkey traveling we stayed in Taksim for a couple of nights before heading back to London. This hostel is not cheap in comparison to other hostels in the center of Istanbul and the level of service was appalling. The staff were rude and obnoxious and really didn't want to be there, or in fact help in any way; breakfast was prepared by someone who looked like he'd just slept on the street, wiping his nose on his sleeve as he cut cucumber. The room was awful, just awful.. dirty, dark, noisy, with a bed sat in the middle of a poorly decorated, battered room, with torn and haphazardly laid lino, a stinking, dirty toilet with a sheet across the doorway and threadbare curtains. I've never stayed in a crack-den, but this is how I would imagine in to be. The mattress might-as-well have been on the floor of a public toilet. I was shocked and my girlfriend really upset. This place is not cool, nor can you chill out there. Students and 'travelers', don't be fooled into thinking that this is a 'young' and 'hip' place to stay, it is an absolute hole marketed as a 'trendy' place to stay and the people who run it only happy when you get your cash out. They definitely have the last laugh. Avoid like the bubonic plague, please, it was absolutely terrible.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
barcelona
Reviewed October 1, 2009

This is not the best hostel ever, But it is one of the best for this price range. And the only one in this location. The best thing is the location, the staff and the value for money. It is also member of Balkan-Hostels.biz.ly and you can get a further 5% off if you are coming from another Balkan-Hostel. There are more budget options in Sultanhmet but Taxim makes a more intersting base away from the tourist area

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo