“Left feeling unclean!”

Tarihi Galatasaray Hamami
Ranked #75 of 132 Spas & Wellness in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Galatasaray Hamam, is in the buildings of Galatasaray Mosque - (Kulliye), It was originally built, together with the kulliye itself during the regin on Beyazit II. The construction of Galatasaray Hammam stands on a mysterious story. When the Sultan Beyazit was wandering around the land where todays Galatasaray Lycee and the Galatasaray Hammam stands on now; he sees a hut. This hut belongs to Gul Baba, a respected man of his time. Sultan Beyazit meets this man and asks him "Gul Baba - do you have any wishes?" and Gul Baba wishes the the construction of a school to conquer over the centuries and a Kulliye to have a hammam with a dome. Sultan Beyazit accepts the wish and makes the kulliye be built in 1481. Gul Baba's grave is still in the Kulliye and the Galatasaray Hammam has conquered over the centuries just like he has wished. The editor of the book " History of Galatasaray", Fethi Isfendiyaroglu, states that the Galatasaray Hammam has served the students, during his education. Thus he says, as a student of Galatasaray Lycee "Before, during our times, there was hammam service every morning, the students were gathered in their dormitories every morning and taken to Galatasaray Hammam, next to the garden of the school. When the students were in the bath, the door of the hammam was closed and no other customers were let in. The Galatasaray Hammam, adressing the centuries, have served many pashas, muslim judges ( kadi ), and grand viziers and have participated in the pure lifes of these people. Galatasaray Hammam, with the heritage of the past, is also modern, both in the quality of its services and the hospitality of its staff.
San Francisco, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Left feeling unclean!”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Our hotel concierge recommended Galatasaray Hamami since the spa at the hotel was completely booked and we wanted to experience an authentic Turkish hammam before our flight. When we got to the Hamami, we were asked to pay upfront for the service we wanted. I was quite surprised since I would think its a norm to pay after your have experienced the bath. Not thinking too much at the time, we paid (ensure you carry TL since they use a bad exchange rate if paid in Euros or dollars) and waited to be led to the women's section.

While waiting we were trilled to find out about the history of the place and that it was built in the 14th century by the Sultan at the time. This would turn out to be the only time we would end up being trilled through the experience.

The interior of the hamami is itself beautiful with marble floors and slabs. The scrubbing and the soap massage lasted all of 10 - 12 mins together when we were promised that the service involved 15 mins of soap massage and 15 mins of scrub massage. We didn't realize when they had finished with us. We kept waiting for them to comeback for a soap massage but they said it would cost us additional. There was no cooling room for us to relax in. The women who attended to us started washing their clothes in the same place as they had bathe us.

We left with a feeling of being unclean. Had to get back to the hotel and take a shower to just feel cleansed. The worst part of it all was they really got agressive with us with tips. The standard 10% was not good enough according to them.

I would definitely not recommend anyone to go to this place!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Good_Tiding
GalatasarayH, Halkla İlişkiler Müdürü at Tarihi Galatasaray Hamami, responded to this review, January 13, 2016

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic Turkish Experience!!”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I went to this hamam yesterday and was surprised upon finding the negative reviews. As a woman I had a wonderful experience, the staff was friendly and gentle and I left after a relaxing hour and a half feeling clean and serene. I have been living in Istanbul for three months now and this was my first hamam experience, I can safely say that had I gone upon arriving I would have experienced heavy culture shock at the casual nudity and general openness of the place. However after living here for a while and reading up on hamams before going I left with a strong respect for the place. For future visitors to any hamams I reccomend doing A LITTLE BIT OF RESEARCH before going, a 10% tip is expected, much like eating out at a restaurant, the massage's are notoriously rough but should leave you feeling great and learning a Trkish please or thank you can get you a long way in terms of price and friendlyness of staff.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Helen P
GalatasarayH, Halkla İlişkiler Müdürü at Tarihi Galatasaray Hamami, responded to this review, January 22, 2016
Thank for your comment.
Sofia, Bulgaria
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Its terrible place”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

the prices are not the same like in their website, when you go there you see the prices are double and people who are working there are so rude and cheeky. They treath you like a bad child and always shout at you for something and if you dont tip them they shout at you too. VERRY RURE STAFF!!!

Visited October 2012
4 Thank Stefan_Sofia
Haifa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Unpleasant place”
Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

Awful attitude, only trying to get money for nothing out of tourists, do not give not enough time to relax and enjoy the hamam, which is actually the whole purpose. Letting clients in and out like a conveyor belt.
Not advised!

4 Thank gadol_travel
Singapore, Singapore
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Tourism trap!”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I went there alone to experience a Turkish bath while on holiday because it was near my hotel. The price for a bath, scrub and massage was US$ 60. The premises was poorly maintained with cracks in the marble and algae in the ceilings. The service was worse! I was manhandled by the masseur and hit in my nose while getting my face wiped. The massage, scrub and bath lasted less than 15 minutes - bad value for money but I was glad when the torture ended. I wish I hadn't been there.

5 Thank TropicalKwek