“Friendly staff, great location, great value”
Review of Ahmet Efendi Evi

Ahmet Efendi Evi
Ranked #54 of 1,051 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Ashburn, Virginia
“Friendly staff, great location, great value”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed at Ahmet Efendi Evi for three nights. I found the hotel through TripAdvisor review. I selected this hotel among many similar ones in Instanbul due to its location, reasonable price, and good review on the staff attentiveness.

My experience staying here exceeded my expectations. My flight arrived early in the morning, so when I arrived at the hotel technically it was not time to check in yet. But Yusuf, one of the hotel's staff, was very welcoming and let me check into the room as it was already ready for use. He also provided me with a map of Sultanahmet area and gave a little orientation on where the tourist attractions are.

Later during my stay, Yusuf was also very helpful in getting taxis for me to go to other areas of Istanbul. He also lent me his istanbulkart when he found out that I would be going to areas where I might be taking public transport to go back.

I stayed in a twin room. It was relatively small in size, but very clean and comfortable. And as a bonus, I had a very nice view of the Blue Mosque outside my window; quite nice to see both during the day and at night.

Location-wise, it's only about 5-10 minute walk from the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and the Sultanahmet stop for the tram. So it's quite nice to use as a base while exploring Istanbul.

I came in January so the weather was quite cold and it rained for a couple of days. During those cold, rainy days (and a little snow on my first day), it's nice to have the hotel nearby when you're walking out and about in Sultanahmet area.

Breakfast was a traditional spread of turkish breakfast items. It was not anything spectacular, but it was a nice one to have before starting your day.

Overall it was a nice place to stay, and I would definitely consider staying there again when I visit Istanbul.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank rsetia67

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed the 5 night stay with my daughter. The warm ambience was the first thing that greeted us the night we arrived. The place is tastefully decorated. The double room was very clean, so was the bathroom. I loved that we had two pillows each and the water pressure was great. There was also a hairdryer. Most important of all were the people - Yusof, Mehdi and Gunul (sorry If the spelling is off) and the cleaning lady (sorry couldn't recall the name), were all courteous, helpful and willingly shared stories and information. I also like the fact that it's near a mosque because the azan helps to know the prayer time. We could hear the train but were not really bothered by it. There's a fruit store and convenience store just beside the inn. The wifi signal is strongest at the lobby and the books on Istanbul are great to get info on the places you're visiting. Plus, the attractions are like 10 mins walk. Will definitely stay here again when I'm back in Istanbul. For me, it's a home away from home.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank tatee69
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The hotel is convenient located and the place was kept very clean. The street it’s at is quiet and away from the main hustle and bustle of Istanbul. Yet it’s 5 minutes away from the local train station and about 10 minutes from the tram station. The main sites in Sultanahmet are about 5-15 minutes away. Joseph who looks after the property was courteous and helpful. Rooms are cleaned and serviced every day. There’s a small refrigerator in each room. The décor in the lobby is cozy and inviting. We only met the owner once very briefly during our 5-day stay. He was equally nice and provided tips and info for sightseeing and meals.
However, the rooms are small and feel a bit crammed. I’m not certain if this is true for most of the places in Istanbul as I have no comparisons. It’s close to the train track. If you are a light sleeper, you could be disturbed at night, although I was too tired to notice the noise. The bathrooms have no shower doors or tubs. After each shower, the floor got wet and slippery. It felt unclean and unsafe to walk back into the bathroom. Breakfast was basic compared to other places we stayed at in Turkey, and it doesn’t change from day to day. Wifi signal in our room was weak and disconnections were frequent, but it was better in the lobby.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed for two short nights in October, and wish I could have stayed longer. It's close to the main tourist sites, but far enough down the hill to feel like you're a little isolated. Service is personal and friendly: staff will take time to explain any part of the city you might want to visit. Rooms are small, but very clean. Breakfast is wonderful. If you're looking for something a few steps above a standard hostel or guesthouse, but don't want to spend the extra cash for a boring western hotel, I think you'll find this place to be a good value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
London
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We spent 3 nights here while in Istanbul and had a wonderful stay. The accommodation is only a 10 minute walk from the main sights of Sultanhamet and in a lovely safe and quiet area. The rooms were a good size and spotlessly clean. Breakfast was immense, there was a large selection and plenty on offer with attentive service. The owners are very friendly and able to offer advice on what to do and where to go.

I felt safe walking back to the hotel at night and as it was a couple of streets away from the main restaurants etc it was nice and quiet which meant a good sleep after walking around all day.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ivrea, Italy
Reviewed October 15, 2012

What can i Say? it's the first time that the owner of a Hotel gives me a gift for the travel. I stayed in 5 stars luxury hotel but i never felt cuddled or at home like here. good breakfast, just prepared every morning. a really charming place. i loved have a cup of tea in the evening talking with joseph about other people, turkey and everything was in the mood of the evening. Defenetly the best place to stay in Instanbul. The location is great, close to the top monuments of the city.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We found this to be a great location and value. Breakfast was generous and the hotel had everything we needed because we were there to see the city! Most important was the travel advice we received from Mehdi. We were planning to drive in and out of Istanbul and he suggested the use of ferries.
What a time and stress saver this was! We left from Istanbul (the hotel has easy access to Kennedy Cd) to Harem and returned 2 weeks later from Yalova. Many thanks !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple