“A little jewel”
Review of Ahmet Efendi Evi

Ahmet Efendi Evi
Ranked #47 of 1,090 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 30, 2012

This boutique hotel is a little jewel in the old city of Istanbul, a lovely, welcoming place where they genuinely care for their guests.
The intimate, delicious Turkish breakfast is a good start of every day.The rooms are quiet and very clean.The Blue Mosque, the Aya Sofia, it is all nearby. They like to give you any information about the history, culture or sights of Istanbul you would like to have and are are always there when you need something. When you step out of the door you are in the midst of a sparkling Istanbul.
Go there and have a wonderful experience!

Monique

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank monilef

Reviewed June 21, 2012

I will never forget my first trip to Istanbul. One of the many reasons is my experience at this little B&B. The service was excellent which began before I even arrived! I booked this trip for my husband and I directly through Ahmet Efendi Evi's website. They sent me a confirmation email within 24 hours. I emailed back requesting a two-way transfer (p/u from airport and drop off at the end of our trip). The cost was 100TL or about $56. Not a bad price for a private transfer for two. The van ride was about 30 minutes long with some light traffic along the way. The van was extremely clean and the driver was very friendly.

Upon our arrival, Yousef (one of the B&B employees) greeted us outside and insisted on taking our bags inside and upstairs to our room for us. His English is quite good. He was the B&B keeper for most of our trip (five nights). Every morning, a traditional Turkish breakfast was ready for us. This included coffee, tea, orange juice, eggs, jams, cheeses, deli meats, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives and a variety of breads and rolls. It really was a good breakfast to start out the long days of walking! :) Many of the major 'tourist-y' sites are within walking distance. The train is also only about a ten minute walk. The B&B is in a safe location away from all the busyness of the city.

Our room (family room) was quite roomy. It had a large sitting area with a TV and coffee maker. The bedroom had a large bed with a dresser to store clothing and a safe for valuables. There is also an a/c unit that a guest can use to control the room's temperature which was nice.

The only downfall of the room was the restroom which was very small. The toilet, shower and sink are very close together. However, the fact that the restroom was always cleaned very well was the reason I didn't remove a star in the rating.

Yousef (as well as the other employees) was very personable and friendly. He was warm, welcoming and genuine. He always asked us if we had any questions about the city or if we needed him to make reservations, etc. He gave us a handy map and even marked the map on the fastest/easiest routes to get places. He has a great sense of humor and always had us laughing! He is truly the reason we would return to this B&B when we visit Istanbul in the future! Thanks Yousef!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HabibiYa
Reviewed June 2, 2012

On 7 March, I made a booking for my wife and self for the night of May 17. I was very impressed when the hotel's booking agent (Reseliva) replied on the same day confirming our reservation and quoting a Reservation Confirmation number (96635).
Imagine then our surprise when, on arrival, we were told that the hotel was fully booked and could not accommodate us. A lady who standing in the reception area had just been told the same thing. Imagine our further surprise when a few days ago we received an email from Reseliva asking us to rate our stay at the Ahmet Efendi Evi !! Farcical but clearly demonstrates a communication problem between hotel and reservation agency. Hence the advice that you should not consider your confirmed reservation as definite !!

In all fairness, I should add that the hotel did find us alternative accommodation at the same rate and paid the taxi fare to that hotel, the Yunus Emre but that was after 90 minutes after our arrival on a long bus trip from Cappadocia and an early rise the following morning; not what we needed !!

Max Leipold

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Photographer
Reviewed May 9, 2012

2 years later, I finally decided to become a contributor and not just a review of trip advisor. I *had* to write a review on this little boutique hotel that left a lasting impression on me.

I *loved my stay..The owners, the staff the rooms and breakfasts were all superb. My director recommended this location and I would do the same for anyone I liked. :)

The economy room was small and quaint. The larger rooms have a sitting area and couch. There are stairs, no elevators but we were women traveling alone and the owner had the young man carry our bags. I cannot say enough good words about this personable place. We were invited to use the kitchen, the owners shared ideas on where to go and how. It was like being home in a foreign place.

I would stay here again. If you go, it is possible to walk to the ferry for a very reasonable price and ride across to the Asian side of Turkey. (Better than the tour.) Also if you are trekking about Turkey, Cappadocia is a must see and I highly recommend a balloon ride. We also caught cheap domestic flights to Antalya rather than waste time on a bus. -If you can afford it, research. The flight was less than 100 USD.

Turkey is definitely one of my better trips and this hotel ranks high on why I enjoyed my stay so much. Also, when going to the airport, they will call in a shuttle service for you so you don't have to pay high taxi fares. This is a fantastic BB.

(I visited in June 2010, Tripadvisor wouldn't let me go back that far!)

Room Tip: I'd go for the larger room, not twin beds for more space! (There's no fitness center my curs...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I stayed here with my kids, who they made feel very welcome. The family room was perfect. Breakfasts were great and the staff were all so friendly and helpful

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Spicegal123
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This clean, comfortable and friendly small hotel is on a quiet street in the old section of Istanbul very close to all the main sites, shops and restaurants. The rooms are good sized and attractive (especially the family room), and the beds are very comfortable although the bathrooms are small. The train tracks are nearby but we didn't hear anything but a low rumble on occasion. The included morning breakfast was very good, everything we needed for a day of walking and touring. The owners and staff couldn't have been nicer, willing to give advice, directions and tips. Best of all, rates are very reasonable compared to most hotels in this area who don't give you much more for the money. Bathrooms could use better lighting and a few more hand towels and some small bottles of water on arrival would be nice. All in all, we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Family rooms are great even for a couple. Back of hotel is farthest from train tracks.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 9, 2012

A friend and I stayed here in November for 5 nights and they made us feel like we were at home. They helpful with tips on making dinner reservations and places to sightsee. Ahmet Efendi Evi is in a very convenient location to the major attractions in the Sultanahmet area. Walking past Hagia Sophia and The Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet) at night was magical and every night, we said how glad we were to be staying so close. Don't miss the Bascilica Cistern and the Topkapi Palace. Pay the extra to see the Harem area.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter as there is a train that goes past pretty regularly and a mosque a hal...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends