“reasonable food, then terrible non existant customer service”
Review of Faros Old City

Faros Old City
Ranked #294 of 1,173 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I ate in the restaurant of this hotel in June 2012. The food was perfectly acceptable, the service good, although quite expensive by local standards. When I decided to visit Istanbul again this month, December 2013, I booked this hotel through booking.com, as I remembered the location and the rooms on the website looked good. I contacted the hotel by email around 3 weeks before I was due to travel, explaining that I needed to cancel my booking, due to family illness. My mother had just been in hospital and my father has to go into hospital for a cancer treatment, so I needed to be with my family and help them physically and emotionally through this difficult period.
After having sent 2 emails a week apart, I had still not received a reply. I then contacted directly booking.com and explained the situation to them. They tried to negotiate with the hotel, twice, who were absolutely non negotiable, and said I could not receive any kind of refund. I asked if they would be able to give me a credit voucher for another time, lets face it, December is not high season in Istanbul, they also refused this. To sum it up, they did not reply to either of my 2 emails, and they would not give me any kind of refund or credit for another time. They obviously do not care in the slightest for their clients, and certainly do not wish for a return clientèle. I will never try to stay in this hotel again, or eat there, and would advise anyone to think very carefully before making an advance booking with them. There are many more good quality hotels in Istanbul where the management and staff care for their clients and wish for them to return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank roland r

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I fell in love with this hotel from the minute I stepped foot in it. It is beautiful from the outside and very cozy inside. We had the quadruple room facing the main road. The room was large, beautifully decorated and modern. The beds are comfortable and the bathroom is small but has a large shower. The gentleman at the front desk, Suat, was very friendly and helpful in booking us the cruise/city tour as well as getting a transfer service to the airport. The breakfast was really delicious and has different variety each morning. We ate at Faros restaurant several time. The food were incredible and the hotel has a lovely ambiance. Outside the hotel, there were many restaurants, cafe and shops. Perfect location for me. It is also close to tram stop I love to stay in this hotel again the next time I visit Istanbul. Everything was great and I can't think of a single complaint about this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank esterlove
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed at the Faros hotel in October towards the end of our European trip. First time travellers to Instanbul and we fell in love with the place. We got upgraded to a suite on arrival with an apology - err that's ok! Everybody was so helpful, from start to finish, even the taxi driver who took us back to the airport! The hotel staff offered us tea, help with our return flight checkin, the cleaner smiled and made us feel welcome, but it was the genuinely relaxed and friendly conversation that got us hooked on the place. The grand bazaar store holders were fantastic particularly the guy who changed my husbands watch battery in about 30 seconds flat, the custom of drinking tea throughout the day was a delight- being a lover of all things tea we really liked this ancient custom- definitely recommend the Faros hotel - perfectly placed, boutique sized which we prefer - with wonderful staff- no need to book a tour of the mosques and museums as they are literally across the road. We hope to return for a Gallipoli tour one day but also to experience much more of this interesting city and of course it's beautiful people.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank outstand
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Beautiful hotel with very very helpful staff. Suat made our trip very easy.. and helped us with anything!

On our first morning, we got our timings mixed up for breakfast and arrived an hour late! But Suat very kindly provided us with a lovely breakfast even though we were late!

Rooms were clean and fresh.. the first two nights we were upgraded to a deluxe suite which had a balcony over-looking the main Divan Yolu. Would not hesitate to stay at Faros hotel whilst visiting Istanbul again. Great location on the main street and literally 5/10 minutes walk from everything!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My partner and I had a week in this hotel recently. We were very impressed with the friendly professional staff in all areas of the small hotel - they made us very welcome. The rooms were very clean, a moderate size, and the beds were very comfortable. There was free wi-fi available. The hotel has an excellent reasonably priced restaurant. We ate breakfast and dinner there most days. The hotels location is ideal for tourists who want to see the famous sites in the old city. It is within walking distance of the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, the Hagia Sophia Museum, Sultanahmet Square and the Grand Bazaar. We used the excellent tram service that passed the front door of the hotel to visit other parts of Istanbul. Thanks again to the great staff.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We discovered this hotel on the internet. We arrived with our luggage right at the door our transport driver parked where he was allowed to park but then helped with the luggage. Nothing was too much trouble from our silly questions and getting lost (just sight seeing a little bit longer than expected) The rooms were very clean and the staff were like family asking how was your day and could they do anything for us. we booked a trip to Gallipoli that required us to be picked up very early so the hotel made sure we had a breakfast packed to take with us. As our trip was overnight they looked after our not required suitcases until we returned. One less thing for us to worry about. It is so central and the (tramway) is right at the door so we were able to get around everywhere with out any issues. When we had free time and didn't know that to do or where to go Suat (one of the lovey staff members) was most helpful. The restaurant has a discount if you are staying in the hotel just remember to get the card from reception to say that you are staying there before going to dinner. This is a hotel with all the interesting points so close and any further information that you may require the staff with help with.

Room Tip: ask for a suite and then you will have plenty of room. Remember you are not living in the hotel you...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Location, friendly and caring staff, great food, clean and spacious rooms and the tram right in front of the hotel at an affordable price. What else can you ask for? There are hotels in Istanbul for all likes, budgets and purposes. In general the rooms are a bit small but in this hotel they fulfilled all expectations mentioned, Suat and Erkut were extra special and made the stay a great one. When I return next year, this is where I will stay. It's a 5 all the way!

Room Tip: Room 403 was my choice. Although facing the main street this was not an obstacle to get a good night...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank pilarmt
FarosHotelGM, Guest Relations Representant : Neda Sarvari at Faros Old City, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you to share your ideas and experience that you had in our hotel. As I understood, your stay here was pleasant which is something really gratifying to us.

Be sure that we will do our best in your next stay here to make you more satisfied.

We wish you happiness and look forward to welcoming you again in our hotel.

Best Regards,