“Nice Hotel. Great location. Friendly and helpful staff. Would definitely stay there again.”
Review of Hotel Agan

Hotel Agan
Ranked #146 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stated at the Hotel Agan for 5 nights including New Year's Eve. There were 5 girls in our group. We had one triple room which was small but adequate. Due to bed availability on arrival our twin room was upgraded to a larger suite for the 5 nights at no extra cost. I would recommended this Hotel. We had no complaints and its walking distance from some of Istanbul's main attractions.

• Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I travelled to the Hotel Agan with a friend for 3 nights at the end of January 2014 for a weekend of sightseeing in Istanbul. The hotel provided a transfer from the airport to the hotel for us at a cost of 30 euro which was useful as our flight arrive late evening. The hotel location is perfectly situated in the Old Town and within a short walking distance of Topkapi Palace, the Blue Mosque and the Grand Bazaar. There are numerous restaurants and shops nearby, but remember to look around and haggle for a good price. I booked a twin room for my stay which met all of our needs. The room was small, but very clean and maids visited daily to change towels and make beds. There were complimentary shampoos and soaps in the room as well as a TV, minibar and hairdryer which was useful as we only took hand luggage with us. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, especially when directions were needed! The hotel shower broke on our last night but once we informed them, they came to the room immediately and changed the shower head for us. We stayed at the hotel on a B&B basis and although I am a fussy eater, I had plenty of choice. The breakfast was a buffet and you could help yourself to as much as you wanted. The only downside I found to this hotel was the noise as our hotel was situated above the restaurant on the first floor. People remained in the restaurant until very late (around 2am) and were fairly loud. This wasn't a problem for us as we went to bed late, but if you go to bed early or aren't a very good sleeper this may not be ideal for you. Don't forget the call to prayer may wake you before sunrise so if you've been awake with noise you may only get a few hours sleep! Overall, this was a lovely hotel and I would stay again. Fantastic value for money.

Room Tip: Perhaps request a room a couple of floors up to reduce noise level!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank HelenFKTerry
Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Agan for a week over Christmas 2013, and were very impressed with the location, close to the Spice Bazaar and lots of public transport options, as well as within close walking distance of the main tourist sites (Blue Mosque, Aghia Sophia, Topkapi Palace et al).

The rooms ARE very small - the one shown in the main pic on this page is actually the suite which my husband and I paid an upgrade for - it was really lovely, but I can't help thinking that the standard rooms must be very pokey, as it wasn't exactly spacious. However, it was really really clean and tidy, and despite the fact that there is a bar downstairs, we weren't disturbed by the music - things might have been different if we'd had to have the windows open in the summer.

The bathroom was perfectly adequate for our needs but do bear in mind that the walls in this hotel are paper thin: without going into details, we closed the air extractor in our bathroom every night as we could hear EVERYTHING that was going on in the room and bathroom next door. And I mean EVERYTHING.

The buffet breakfast was included in our deal and was good value, although it has to rate as the only hotel I have ever stayed in where there was no fruit juice on offer at all. And if you don't drink coffee, which I don't, it was water or nothing. Some of the breakfast times were absolutely rammed with people - possibly some from outside as well - so the advice would be to get there early.

Residents are supposed to get a 10% discount at the bar on drinks and food - do remember to show your key because if you don't, no discount is forthcoming, even if you have stayed there for several days.

Staff are really helpful and have a good command of several languages. We didn't use it but there is also a travel agent on site which offers tours and guides for visitors.

All in all, a great budget find - well worth trying.

Room Tip: Pay the small upgrade to a suite if you can afford it, and try to get a room that isn't directly...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed at a different hotel about a mile away from this one for the first part of our trip as part of a package. While it was a fancier hotel, this one was a better location for getting around the 'old town'. The rooms were a good size, clean, comfortable and a great value (we got a 3 person sleeper room for $52 a night!) The front desk guys were courteous, the restaurant was good and the wait staff friendly.

Had a good experience

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I stayed here for three nights in November as a solo female traveler, and it suited my needs perfectly. The rate was reasonable, the room was clean, and the front desk service was very helpful. They can even help you book tours throughout Turkey, although I didn't use them for that.

The breakfast was a pretty decent buffet included in my rate, and you also get 10% off at the onsite Salute restaurant, as well as at another restaurant about 10 minutes (Optimus) that is owned by the Agan's former manager. I tried both restaurants, and they're both good for local food, especially the Optimus.

While the room was on the small side, it was perfect for one person, and the bathroom was surprisingly large. I do recommend asking for a room on a higher floor if available--I was on the top floor and wasn't bothered by the street noise at all, although the prayer over the loudspeakers did wake me up the first morning.

The location is also terrific--you can walk to the Blue Mosque, sultan's palace, catacombs, and Hagia Sofia in about five minutes. The area felt safe and I had no problems walking around as a single woman.

Room Tip: Try for a higher floor to minimize noise, but keep in mind that the very top floor doesn't have...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank sokarys
Reviewed December 23, 2013

This hotel is ideally located to some of the best sightseeing in Istanbul. The room rates were good and the rooms were clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful and we had some really fun interaction with the waiters. The food was good and reasonably priced. Breakfast was included and was a great start to the day. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We arrived at the hotel Agan on the 18 February 2013. We were on our honeymoon, initially booked a standard bedroom, but was upgraded to a Suite on arrival! Stunning bedroom!

After settling in, one of the staff members brought us a complimentary fruit platter and welcome drinks

All the staff members were really friendly and helpful!

We will definitely go back to the Agan hotel when visiting Istanbul again

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple