The Sofa Hotel
Sirkeci Mansion(Istanbul)
$220
$193
  • Breakfast included
The Byzantium Hotel & Suites(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
$493
$386
$372
$273
  • Breakfast included
Divan City Istanbul(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
$69
$411
$397
Cancelon
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsnisantasi areaboutique hotelrain showertop floorhotel gueststurkeyrooms are largedeluxe roomexcellent locationwonderful hoteltaksim squareconciergespadenizheartdistrictmr
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 26, 2013

On the surface there is little to criticise about this hotel: it is in the heart of the trendiest shopping district in Istanbul; the rooms are large; it has a big spa facility, many of whose facilities are included in the room price; and it has a stylish and arty design.

However scratch beneath the surface and what you find is a very over-priced establishment where the trendiness is entirely superficial.

Let's start with cost. We stayed in the most basic room the hotel has - a large but charmless suite on the third floor. For this we forked over just over 300 Euro per night (including taxes). This did not include breakfast or any other amenities (other than the spa which I will come to later).

For Istanbul this is expensive. There are many boutique hotels within driving distance of Sofa that are more delightful, friendly and offer better value.

Chief amongst our complaints is that they do not offer free wi-fi in the rooms! We got this as part of the deal in every other hotel in Turkey including small hotels in much smaller cities like Konya. For a plush hotel in the midst of Nisantasi to make you traipse down to the lobby or pay exorbitant fees for Internet access is outrageous.

A close second is the 10 Turkish Lira for a teabag in the rooms (that's around 4 Euro). Again, considering the room price providing free tea and coffee just seems like a hygiene factor.

The room itself was large, but in a peculiar way. The dressing room was almost as large as the main room area. Unless one plans to change a baby elephant into a tutu for the local circus there is no conceivable reason why all this space should have been assigned for this purpose. Particularly when the shower and bath areas have been designed compactly and to maximise space.

The downstairs spa area admittedly, is an impressive addition to ones stay. With free access to a heated pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room, it's a pleasant perk. The facilities are stylish and well attended. However perk is what they are - and I would say many more nice things about it if the rest of the essentials were better than they are.

The staff were fine - again, just ok. They did what we asked for but there was no sense of any greater enthusiasm than that.

Overall this hotel is a perfectly adequate choice if you want to be three doors down from Armani and DKNY, and if you have some money to burn. Otherwise I would strongly advise travellers to look for more appealing options in Beyoglu area, which has more heart anyway.

Room Tip: One can only imagine the rooms on the "hip floor" have even larger dressing rooms. If that's your bag then go ahead and shell out the extra cash.
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This is the second time i go there, great location, nice rooms beautiful bathrooms and the Concierge, Deniz is an amazing person and veryyyy helpful. but as for the hotel , we paid $1000 for a double room of $350 ( because it was a busy week end) , then they suggest us to pay $250 more to be upgraded which we refused. that night there was a big part going on just underneath our room and was impossible to sleep. and there was no notification for this big noisy night. So for what we paid there service was not good. The front desk not really helpful or friendly, but the breakfast was very good and the concierge was amazing ,whom made our stay very pleasant.

Room Tip: don't ge t a room on the street side, very noisy
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Humeyra E, Front Office Manager at The Sofa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

To begin with I am very sorry that we did not meet your needs during your stay.
I also would like to thank you for sharing your nice comments about our concierge team and breakfast service
We have communicated your feedback to the entire team at the hotel and they are all very happy to know that their efforts are so well appreciated.

We hope to see you again and welcome you back to The Sofa Hotel

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I love the location of this hotel it’s very convenient, rooms are spacious, staff is very attentive.
I experienced the Spa for the first time and enjoyed it very much, too shame that I couldn’t
try the Turkish Bath as it was fully booked for the all afternoon. I also asked Concierge for the best restaurant in town
and when they suggested the top roof restaurant Frankie, I thought ohh well, they are trying to sell me what they have, but no,
I was wrong, it is really the best restaurant in town, service, music and ambiance very good. Overall, I had great experience
in this stylish hıtel and I would definetly come back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank disegnatore

Dear Guest ,

First of all thank you very much for sharing your comments at Tripadvisor.
It is very nice to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Your comment regarding to Frankie Restaurant was shared with Restaurant Manager

Thnak you very much for staying with us and hope to see you again.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I travel very often to Istanbul and this is the second time I stayed at this hotel.

I believe they’ve improved a lot since I was there the last time. They have now wi-fi in the room

and there wasn’t before. They’ve opened an art gallery in the lobby level full of great artworks.

There was Mother’s Day celebration during my stay in HallArts, lovely jazz music with great food.

I paid a little supplement on top of my breakfast rate which is totally worth, felt like New York.

Very good choice I made J

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Humeyra E, Front Office Manager at The Sofa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Very warm greetings from The Sofa Hotel,

Thank you so much for your nice words about our hotel.We are more than happy that we kept improved our service quality
Looking forward to welcoming you again in our HIP hotel

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We had a great weekend at this hotel. Location is just perfect! Best cafes and bars of the town are just step away.The area is also famous for shopping where you can find almost all the brands.
Hotel is pretty modern and has cozy atmosphere. General areas are very well equipped with fine artworks. The room is large enough and decorated in modern style. Staff is quite friendly and helpful especially reception where we had great welcoming. They have also fine dining restaurant at the roof top, one of the best restaurant in the city. The buffet breakfast might be little richer but it was okay for us.
Really good place to enjoy Istanbul at break, would definitely recommend this hotel -especially for young couples

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your warm words about our hotel.
We are extremely happy you enjoyed the concept, from the design, to the room and the location....
It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to The Sofa Hotel Istanbul