“Nice place to stop off”

Ranked #990 of 1,156 Hotels in Istanbul
aylesbury
“Nice place to stop off”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Didn't actually stay at this hotel, but stopped off one evening on our way back to our hotel for a drink and a bite to eat. Very friendly staff and good service. The food was OK and the facilities were very clean. Overall not an unpleasant visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank colin c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel October 2012 for twelve days. The location was amazing, right behind the Blue Mosque and almost no street noise - I had a room at the back of the hotel. Most of the staff were lovely and very helpful but that's where anything positive ends. Although the cleaner came to my room everyday the sheets were not changed once in twelve days. There was a small stain on the top sheet that I checked every day and sure enough it was always there.

The shower was disgusting! It was thick with mildew, so much that I actually cleaned it myself. The bathroom was tiny, which was ok for me traveling alone but if you are a couple then you will have no secrets as it was almost impossible to use the loo and be able to close the door. The noise within the hotel was unbelievable, other guests talking or slamming doors would amplify through the walls. I could hear my neighbour snoring on the other side of the wall even with earplugs.

The building right behind was a mixed blessing. It seemed to be an abandoned shell in the process of demolition but as this was the only view from my window, and very close proximity, there were no nosey neighbours looking into my room.

Breakfast was like an assault course. It is served on the roof terrace that has a nice view, but I could not enjoy it because I was always aware of being watched by one of the staff members. He always hovered around my table grinning every morning, making me feel very uncomfortable. (Not a friendly grin that other guests received, it was leering). He ignored me blatantly waving my wedding ring around and attempted to ask me out on the last day. This was unbelievably unprofessional. A woman traveling alone will always attract unwanted attention but I would not expect to have that problem from staff at a hotel. But like I said already, the other staff at reception were very friendly and always accommodating. It was this one guy at breakfast who crossed the line.

The Abella Hotel was good value for money in that it was not very expensive but I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel on either 3rd or 4th floor. 1st floor too close to reception noise, 5th floor you...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank redspeck

Travelers are raving about these Istanbul hotels

Indonesia
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We went to eat at the restaurant upon our arrival in Istanbul. We were escorted to a pleasant rooftop restaurant. We placed our order or kabab, soup and beer. While we waited for our order, the waiter brought us appetizers (bread, messes, salad) which we didn' ask for and thought it was part of the meal. When we paid the bill, we were surprised at the very high price for 3 adults. When looking closer at the bill, we discovered that we were charged for the food that we did not order. I questioned the waiter about it and he said, "But you ate it so you have to pay for it!" Beware, no food is free of charge at this restaurant. You pay for everything. Taste of food was OK, nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: We did not stay in the hotel, only ate at the restaurant.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 3ofustravelling
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2012

teh breakfast was very good and the view from the roof was amazing but the sheets wrer a bit dirty(small stains) and the noise from outside is very load yet the reception was very helpful and the location very good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ayad h
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed at Abella Hotel for four nights in October 2012. Our room was quite small, but it was not a problem for us, since we only slept there. The walls were paper: my sister and her boyfriend slept in the room next to us and we were almost able to hear their conversation. Our window was not towards street so there was no noice which would have disturbed our sleep (excluding the call to pray on morning at six o'clock which was quite loud since the Blue Mosque located very near Abella hotel). Our blanket was made of waffle fabrik and wasn't the best material for that.

The staff was very friendly though they perhaps did not understand everything we said. Breakfast was decent: eggs, vegetables, various cheeses, olives etc... And the best thing regarding this hotel was the roof top view towards sea and blue mosque. Also location of the hotel was good since we were not up late and distance to airport was short.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, WA
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Great location.... easy to walk to all the sights. The breakfast was good on the top floor of the hotel with great views. The room is small but is fair for the price you pay. But what do you expect when you travel abroad, I don't expect everything has to be American standard and people speak fluent English.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank concorde02
Hamburg Germany
Reviewed November 10, 2011

What can I say:
poor small rooms - dirty - poor breakfast - dirty bathrooms
Location is nice near to the Sultanhamed but thats all
Some days no cleaning in the rooms

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business