Diva's Hotel
Stone Hotel(Istanbul)
Oba Hotel(Istanbul)
Muyan Suites(Istanbul)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsblue mosquebeautiful mosquesea viewshuttle servicesultanahmet districtold citymajor attractionstram stationmehmettourist
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 24, 2013

It is a little while since my wife and I spent 5 days in Istanbul to see the sights - our first visit. Diva's is ideally situated for a short tourist visit as most of the main attractions are close by, and the walk to the nearest tram stop is quite easy.

This is a small family run hotel, the facilities are perfectly acceptable and the staff could not be more helpful, we would certainly visit again.

Room Tip: Some rooms are accessed through the dining room. This is OK, but best to avoid if possible.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed at Diva's Hotel for 7 nights during Ramadan in August 2013. We had a lovely time staying at this hotel. The hotel is pleasantly decorated with a a lovely Turkish style and is clean throughout. The location is very good, close to local cafe's, corner shops and restaurants and a stones throw from the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofia but away from the crowds.

We had requested a room with a sea or garden view, with a special note asking for a sea view especially. I was very impressed that they had paid particular attention to the fact that we had asked for the room to have a sea view. Adding in any notes on your booking does actually work for this hotel. The view of the Marmara sea and Sultanahmet Mosque from the room was amazing and the balcony was very spacious. The rooms are a comfortable size.

The staff where very helpful and friendly, though if you need a question answering best to ask the day staff as night staff have limited English. Don't both with paying for the airport transfer if booking your room via the hotels own website it will cost you a lot more than paying and booking it when your there. Breakfast is the usual continental affair and you can enjoy your breakfast out in the garden. They mentioned that they had a bar but we struggled to find this in the hotel, don't worry there is a good supermarket and restaurants not far that sell alcohol for at a reasonable price. The AC works a treat in the rooms, bathroom as very clean and your room comes with an easy to use safe which is very handy.

We really enjoyed our stay at Diva's hotel and would recommend this hotel highly, rooms with the sea view are the biggest selling point of this hotel so make sure you book early to get these amazing rooms.

Room Tip: Make sure if you select a room with a sea or garden view that you make a special request for it to be the sea view as these are the best views and rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bethan F
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed five nights in Diva's during Ramadan in July. I decided I wanted to stay in Sultanahmet and I searched around for a reasonable deal and I was able to stay at Divas for 35 euros per night (low season prices) through booking dot com. I consider this good value for money.

I hesitated booking Diva's for three reasons. First, some complained of paper thin walls. Second, some complained of the call to prayer at 4am. Third, some complained of the rooms and beds being uncomfortably small.

I found all these misgivings to be wholly unfounded although I had an "attic" room - room 601 where there was only one adjoining room 602 and that room appeared to be unoccupied. I had the windows shut and used the aircon at all times. Aircon has the salutary effect of muffling outside noises. Indeed I never heard any noises either inside or outside that disturbed me in any way.

I found the bed to be fine -- it was almost squarish. I am not quite 6 feet tall but I found that if I slept with my head on two pillows my feet would go off the mattress. However, that didn't matter at all in terms of my sleep quality and actually two medium height people could easily sleep on that bed. (I hate by the way those narrow beds that you often get when you order a single occupancy room. This happened to me at Erguvan last summer.)

That brings to mind, however, two shortcomings with the room. First, the aircon was a bit knackered. I had it set to 18 degrees the lowest setting and maximun fan blowing but I could never get the room really cool as I would have liked it. It may be that the aircon unit simply has insufficient BTUs to chill down an attic room.

Second, my sleep quality was inhibited (though not severely) by gaps in the drapes, which were dark and thick but not quit wide enough and sun got through. To sleep really well, I need drapes that wholly block out the sun. (I am really considering black electrical tape and scissors to stick on offending portions of window panes to remedy this problem in the future!)

The furnishings in the room were okay and the bathroom was adequate, not supermodern, but functional and clean without any reeking odors permanating and without mold. I wasn't really enamored of the sink which is shaped like a bowl but that is a minot qualm. The toilet flushed ably and didn't make dripping noises afterwards. The door of the bathroom shut and there was enough room in the bathroom to maneuver. The shower had adequate pressure and the hot water was hot enough (although not scalding. I don;t like really hot showers anyway.)

They have the set up whereby you have to stick the plastic key holder into the slot in order for electricity to run. Of course, the room, being on the 6th floor, heats up very quickly on a summer's day and the aircon being weak really needs to run 12 hours to cool the room down adequately. I also think that the frig stops as the drinks I bought were never really that cold except in the morinings when waking up. At least there are no qualms about buying drinks and taking them to your room for consumption. [For the nearest supermarket turn right outside upon exiting the hotel, make a right on the first street corner then go the end and make a left cross the street you'll see Dia supermarket.]

The set up of the hotel is a little awkward. In essence, there are two wings or banks of rooms. The first bank is elevator-less, To access the second wing, you must go up a flight of stairs and turn left through the cafeteria, at the end of which is an elevator, which only goes to the fifth floor. So you have to lug bags from the lobby to the mezzanine level and then again from the fifth to the sixth floor so all told it would be better not to be on the sixth floor (considering heat issues and lugging). I also found the elevator recently painted with an oil-base paint to be difficult to breath in but the fumes should eventually dissipate. The elevator is not for the claustrophobic.

There is no outdoor terrace overlooking the esteemed sights of Sultanahmet, There is a little outdoor roof area on the sixth floor but it is emplaced in the wrong direction for the sights and is too small to be used productively. I didn't sample the breakfast in the cafeteria. I was keen on eating at Turkish restaurants in Sultanahmet and didn't want to spoil my appetite on some standard-issue monotonous breakfast. Besides, I mostly slept in beyond 1030am when the breakfast ends. They do have set up a little garden area in which you can eat the hotel's food. There is no bar although drinks are available.

There is a strange rule posted that guests are not allowed in the rooms at any time. However, that wasn't a factor for me this summer as I was alone the whole time.

If the hotel is thinking up upgrading itself, I would suggest making the sixth floor into a restaurant and getting rid of rooms 601 and 602.

I would go again if the price is right at least as a solo traveler.

I found the internet signal to be excellent. However, if you use an IP blocker, completely disable it
by going to control panel and remove programs ticking the option of stopping the IP blocker from functioning. They have a laptop for guest use but if you have a password with symbols you won't be able to open your email even if you remember not to accidentally type the Turkish dotless i on the Turkish keyboard!

There is a small flat-screen TV on the wall no more than 16 inches diagonal about the size of a larger type lap-top. I never even turned it on a single time as I used my computer for in-room entertainment.

All the staff I found to be accommodating and friendly. There is a bell-hop who can help you with your bags if need be.

Room Tip: If you want to minimize stair climbing, make sure they put you in the second wing and avoid the sixth floor. Take a small flashlight with you as the lights only do on in the stairwells and halls when the motion-detector senses you.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RichardThomas2001
divas34, Manager at Diva's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

My dearest guest,
I would like to thank you for your review about Divas Hotel on tripadvisor.I appreciate your kind comments.
Hope to see you soon.
Best Wishes from Istanbul Divas Hotel Family

SIDAR ULUER
Manager of the Hotel

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed in Divas for four nights in july 2013 and were very happy with the hotel. The service was friendly, breakfast nice and the room very clean . The location is very good, close to all the major sights but away from the crowds. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sanna v
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights. Great location in the old city, walking distance to tram, Grand Bazaar, Blue Mosque. Great room with balcony view of the ocean. Very quiet. Wonderful breakfast included. Staff all helpful. I have highest praise for staff member Mehmet who was incredibly helpful and kind to me as a first time visitor to Istanbul. He was always very polite and happy and he worked very hard to make my vist fantastic.

• Stayed: July 2013