“I love Turquhouse”

Ranked #723 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
Tbilisi
“I love Turquhouse”
Reviewed February 18, 2008

Even though I spent only 4 days at Turquhouse Boutique Hotel, I still have the feeling I was at home.
Located in an old part of Istambul, you find amazing views of the city from the "Aziyade Restauant" while having your breakfast.
The staff was friendly, welcoming with broad smiles, service - perfect. Though the rooms are small, they are always kept clean.

On the first day of our arrival we felt tired and slept too long, so our breakfast time was gone. We woke up as hungry as a wolf and started to look for a place to have something. We went into the cafe next to the "Aziyade Restaurant" and inquired about the breakfast (we didn;'t yet know anything)... though the Turkish guy didn't understand our English, he soon found out that we were newcommers and offered us breakfast for free(!) that was touching.

There is also a "Nargilevi" bar where you can smoke water pipe (Nargile), play backgammon ("Tavla") and enjoy various teas.

I think the hotel will be the perfect place to visit during summer time. If you want to get acquainted with Turks and Turkish life well, you should come to Turquhouse Boutique Hotel.

Taxi arrives within a minute. You don't have to wait long.

I will upload the photoes taken by me a bit later.

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank makastasia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed September 2, 2007

Overall the experience was good in this hotel due to the absolutely breathtaking view from the hotel and nice comfortable rooms and excellent breakfast spread. The location is not central however you can get taxis easily plus you can take the cable cars from right outside the hotel for just 1.3 lira which will take u down (as the hotel is located on a hill) and from there you can catch buses very easily to the main areas. HOwever i was disappointed with 3 things mainly:
1) on the website where i booked the hotel it said that the hotel would provide free transport from the airport for stay of 3 nights and more and return back to the airport for 5 nights stay. My stay was 5 nights and when i called the hotel to inform abt my flight for airport pick up they flaty refused saying the cars were unavailable - same when we wanted a drop to the airport. If theairport transfer was not part of the package than they shud not have advertised it so - ths was most unprofessional.
2) the staff could not communicate properly in english so it was difficult to even make a complaint. once the bathroom was not cleaned properly and when i called to complain no one came by after that also - so there was no response to my complaint.
3) When we first reached and we asked them abt how to get to the main city center the receptionist told us that only taxi was the option - so for the first 3 days we spent heavily on taxis and only after that we discovered that theres a very cheap cable car right behind the hotel that takes u down the hill from where u can get buses very easily. this was again most irritating that they did not guide us properly.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The staff/service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Mrs_SM
Riederich, Germany
Reviewed March 19, 2007

HOTEL: Turquhouse Boutique Hotel

My stay: December 23 – January 03, 2007

In a nutshell:
·Beautiful view overlooking Istanbul
·Very friendly and helpful staff at the reception (English and German)
·The hotel facilities are designed for natives, however, foreigners are very welcome.

Breakfast:
·The breakfast buffet is served in a restaurant overlooking the “Golden Horn” (Halic). You’ll never forget this spectacular view!!!
·The typical Turkish breakfast consists of olives, feta and black tea. The hotel also offers an American breakfast & fresh fruits.

Rooms:
·You can enjoy international standard in the cosy, comfortable and inviting rooms.
·Rooms are nicely and thoroughly cleaned on a daily basis.

Dining:
·The hotel houses two restaurants: A snack style restaurant that serves dinner from 8pm until late at night. The other restaurant offers national tasty food for a reasonable price.
·The hotel has an inviting café where you can enjoy excellent sweets and coffee variations.
·Furthermore, you can spend your evening in the hotel’s authentic water pipe café where you can meet locals.
(Due to the close grave yard and the holy “Eyup” mosque, alcoholic beverages are not offered but can be bought in the small shop across the street and can be enjoyed in your room.)

Internet:
·Internet is available in the hotel lobby. The connection is slow but enough to check your emails or find useful information online.

Transportation:
·A relaxing way to get to the centre of Istanbul is by cable car and ferry boat that takes you right into town. On the ferryboat you can enjoy a nice cup of chai or salep.

Hamam:
·The hotel has its own Hamam wich I tried once, but you might want to check out one of the professional Hamams in town.

Closeby Points of Interest:
·The “Pierre Loti” hill is a popular spot for natives and travellers. Please be aware that on Sundays and Holidays the café, restaurant and viewing points are crowded.

Conclusion:
·I highly recommend the Turquhouse Boutique Hotel and its facilities for a relaxed stay in Istanbul. Turquhouse leaves you satisfied and offers you a truly authentic stay.
·Thank you Turque Hotel for your hospitality. I’m looking forward to seeing you in the near future.

Teşekkür Ederim!

• Liked — The spectacular view and the daily trip to town.
  • Disliked — Late at night u have to catch a taxi...
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank Ramtha
Reviewed June 4, 2006

I arrived at Ataturk International Airport almost 1 hour late due to airport traffic in Amsterdam, I was worried that my hotel car might not be there for my pick up. The driver was there as expected, waiting for me. My trip to the hotel was by small minibus.

We turned a corner after taking a winding small road to the top of the hill, and it was like changing locations. The entrance was staffed by several plain clothes security men with radios, a bell man to carry my bags, and the driver to help me to the check in. Not only was security a pleasant surprise, but the grounds were immaculate, beautiful with flowers and a wonderful breeze to make it a picture perfect start of a vacation.

The rooms are in an old style wooden hotel, though it was all modern and perfectly maintained. The beds were absolutely nice to sleep in, though the rooms were a little small. There is a hotel safe at the front desk that is free. Once I had a complaint about the shower leaking. Within 30 minutes a maintenance man arrived and changed the entire shower with a new part, then cleaned up his work and checked the shower. Great service.

I noticed that this was not a business or international travelers hotel, but more of a locals hotel. I saw only a few international travellers at breakfast in the mornings, though there were small groups from other cities in Turkey. I have been in Turkey several times, including several other cities, so I have a feel for the "real" Turkey, and this was it.

There are several nice restaurants to eat in, with a nice buffet. Being a "Turkish" hotel the breakfast buffet caters to a Turkish clientel, though Europeans and Americans will find enough variety. Don't arrive late for breakfast (closes at 11:00 AM) , if you wish to enjoy all the items, though few are ever "out" completly. I opted for the eggs, breads, cereal and fruit most mornings. Service was very good, and pleasant.

The main restaurant in the evening had an English menu, though English was not widely spoken ordering was not too difficult. Remember this is a Turkish hotel designed for Turkish clients. The food was nice though not cheap.

The staff was helpful as to how to get around, with the front desk speaking English very well. They had great ideas on where to go. One nice service is that they wil call a taxi for you, from a taxi company that charges a fair price. Every time I took one from there, it was perfect.

The locals use the outdoor coffee shops looking over the Golden Horn. You can take the cable car back to the hotel and save the ride around to the top. Nice view.

Best way to get around in Istanbul is to take the cable car to the waterfront below, transferring to the ferry to Eninonu. From there you can transfer to the Tram up to the historical sights near the Sultanamet. Though across from the ferry, there is a delightful park near the mosque, with small cafes that are open till 11 pm (2300). Nice to walk in.

To go to Taksim Square, take the tram Eminonu to the end (though it is being lengthened) and take a taxi to the top. Dont walk.

At the ferry landings you can take a ferry ride to Iskudar or Darampasha across the water, about 30 minutes. There you can eat in a local cafe, though English menus are non-existent. Be prepared to point and order. Dont complain if it is wrong. The prices were always charged fairly, for what I received.

There is a Bosphorus ferry that costs YTL7.50 (USD 5.00) that takes you to the last town before the Black Sea, where you can climb to the old Crusader fort for a beautiful view (3 hours stop). Beware the fish shops are expensive at the ferry stop, so order a sandwach and water to go. Take your own TP for the ferry ride, as a Turkish toliet is all that available. You did ask for a complete, authentic Turkish experience.

All these were suggestions from the excellent front desk staff.

Be sure to ask for the Airport Pickup

This will be my "home" in Istanbul in the future.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed April 20, 2006

My wife, our two children and I stayed at the Turquhouse for a night during Holy Week. We found the experience quite satisfactory. Our rooms were clean and the hotel's service personnel were uniformly friendly and polite. We ate in the hotel's restaurant and thought the food was good at the price. The hotel is a little remote from the main tourist drag, but that is not a strong demerit. It compensates for the distance by being perched atop a lofty elevation in a neighborhood of strong Turkish apprearance and character. Sure, it's not the Four Seasons or the Kempinski, but at a fraction of the price of those places, we certainly could not squawk about the Turquhouse.

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank Andlovingit
Reviewed February 4, 2006

turquhouse boutique hotel in istanbul turkiye has a unique atmosphere.. design, comfort, quality, food, everything is very well arranged, clean and high quality.. has a beautiful view of city.. and personnel is very kind, helpful and friendly.. as i am on business trips all the time, i see many different places, but turquhouse is really different, i will not forget it..

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 3, 2006

we stayed at turquhouse boutique hotel 3 weeks ago,
it was excellent and we felt that really turkish culture.

thanks to all management