“Great Location”

Ranked #172 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
San Diego, California
“Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2009

Istanbul is a great and diverse city with many interesting nooks. The Radisson is located in one of the gems, Ortakoy. In addition to being the only hotel located in the heart of Ortakoy, it sits directly on the Bosphorus and has a great view of Sultanahmet (which is the main tourist destination in Istanbul). The down side is that with traffic, it can take roughly 30 minutes to get to any of the major tourist sites in Sultanahmet.

The hotel itself is a Scandinavian business hotel. Tastefully appointed, but sparse in design, the hotel is clearly purpose built. The rooms are on the small side, but very comfortable and for the business traveler, they are more than adequate. You will not find LCD TVs or iPod hook-ups, but you do get internet and a very comfortable bed. Some of the rooms have partial views of the Bosphorus, but do not count on getting one as they are rare. They do have "Business Class" rooms which will give you a better view and more room, but they are significantly more expensive.

The service is of high quality and very prompted and helpful. The hotel car met me on time and the trip took about 45 minutes. The front desk is very helpful and recommended some great restaurants nearby.

One of the highlights of the hotel is their buffet breakfast. You can sit alongside the Bosphorus and enjoy a choice of traditional turkish and common western choices. All are prepared perfectly!

If you are a business person who is looking to stay out of the chaos of sultanahmet and want a unique experience, this is the perfect hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank 2W3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
abu dhabi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2009

We came here on a tour with Fly Express Tourism out of Dubai. They chose a Tour company that had limited english speaking capability so it was somewhat hampered in imparting any knowledge of the history. We spent a quarter of the tour waiting for other tourists to show up and went back and forth between hotels waiting for them to get up because they had not all been informed of the correct departure time. They insisted upon us having to be picked up first as our hotel was so far out.

The hotel was nice enough to book us to a larger room but wanted more money if we wanted a room with a view. The free interenet worked well and the room was very clean and had nice wood floors. I would recommend the hotel again however, the buffet included in the room price lacked any spontaneity. Someone should buy the chef a cookbook as he is so uninspired and made exactly the same thing everyday. Which was ok the first day but grew tiresome from there on. Roast potatoes, warm precooked pancakes, hard-boiled eggs, good bacon, broiled tomatoes, etc. Usual fruits and yoghurts, nice breads, cold croissants etc. Great coffee! People were very friendly but English is only understood by some. The bar was great and very accomodating and made whatever you wanted. Location of the hotel is outstanding especially if you want to go to clubs as they ware within walking distance and so is outdoor market to buy kitche stuff.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank janetinabudhabi
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

Ok this was different than my previous Radisson experiences. This hotel is located in a cool district, looks smart and attracts posh people. But as previous people said (and as you may have understood) it is not in the quiet part of town. If you open your window, the wall of sound hits you. But keep it closed and youll get a good nights sleep. No problems with AC in my room.
Really enjoyed the restaurant, but it was expensive (even compared with my homecontry, vintage champagne is worth its weight in gold it seems). Views are super, clientele chic and the DJ really tries to be (to) cool.
The staff was really helpful, and took good care of all our problems.
The only problem for us was the endless traffic jams on the way from Ataturk airport to Ortakoy. The last part would go way faster on foot, even with the heavy luggage.
I would come back, depending on the purpose of the trip. To have a good time - Yes, to relax - No. The four seasons bosphorus is close and quiet. It is the better choise - if you can afford it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2009

The Location was very scenic, but accessability was not at all easy,a lot of traffic and also too many transport problems to get there, their Airconditioning was not working,rooms were hot and stuffy and staff kept promising it will be fixed,but they did nothing about it. I would not reccommend this hotel to a friend or anyone else.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2009

Can't fault the design, upkeep and staff training at all. My only complaint, and this is most likely not the fault of the Radisson, is that the hotel has one of the busiest and noisiest nightclubs right next door, and there are cars revving engines, honking horns, and people screaming and shouting ALL night EVERY night. Forget staying here, it is central and convenient for sightseeing, but you will get NO sleep.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Edgewater, MD
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2009

I booked a one night stay on Expedia at this hotel for an October, 2008 date and prepaid for the room as required. Since this was the last night of our vacation, I wanted something special. I had booked the second highest priced room, a “Bosphorus” room with the understanding that this was a room on the Bosphorus Straight (waterfront) side on the hotel. When we checked in, I showed the desk clerk my receipt from Expedia showing prepayment. I was asked to provide a credit card, which I assumed was needed to cover any extra charges. We were given a room on the street side of the hotel. When I complained and again showed the front desk the Expedia reservation they explained that no other rooms were available. So instead of a room overlooking the Bosphorus, we looked down on one of the busiest streets in Istanbul.

At checkout it was clear that I had not received a credit for my prepayment through Expedia. Once again I showed the desk clerk, and then the manager, my receipt from Expedia. Despite this the manager insisted I owed the full amount without my prepayment to Expedia. We were then in a hurry to get to the airport, and I assumed that this could be fairly easily corrected later.

Little did I know that it would take six months plus to resolve this matter. In the process of trying to straighten this out Radisson applied two different credits which made no sense, and then a charge which was also incorrect. Over time, I made three lengthy telephone calls (one of which was an hour and 45 minutes) to my credit card company attempting to resolve this matter. After each of the three phone calls I provided detailed follow up letters to my credit card, because the agents continued to be understandably confused by the Radisson transactions. Finally, six months later on May 1, 2009, I received a correct refund.

It will be a long time before I stay at a Radisson again. Also, my conclusion is that I will not book through Expedia again. I just adds an intermediary that can confuse matters. In addition, Expedia requires prepayment, when if you booked directly with the hotel they seldom require prepayment. Note that Expedia is typically collecting a healthy percentage of the room charge (I believe 20%), plus keeping the same percentage of the room tax (for which they have been successfully sued by local governments) plus then charging an added fee. You often can get a lower rate by dealing directly with the hotel. Why not give the money to a well run hotel, instead of Expedia, and avoid the prepayment?

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Traveler56789
U.S.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2009

The location of the Radisson Blu Bosphorus, right on the shore of the Bosphorus at the foot of the Bosphorus bridge, cannot be beat. The area is lively with interesting shops, cafes, restaurants, and a beautiful Baroque-style Mosque. The restaurant's outdoor terrace is right by the water, allowing diners to gaze at the blue waters, boats, and the Asian side of Istanbul while dining. It's quite a romantic view.

The service at the hotel was fabulous. The staff at the front desk was always helpful, checking taxi rates for us, recommending ways to get around town, and talking to drivers for us when the driver didn't speak English (and we unfortunately didn't speak Turkish). The hair salon delivered a great head message for me and an impressive old-fashioned shave for my boyfriend. The general manager of the hotel deserves special mention for his attentiveness, friendliness, and discreet demeanor that reminded me of a true gentleman from bygone eras. One evening, when we took a long taxi ride to Karakoy on the Asian side, our taxi driver tried to cheat us by taking a route that was twice as long as was normal. We discovered this (why do such taxi drivers always assume we haven't been to the place before just because we don't speak the local language, or that we won't have a map with us?), and an argument broke out at our destination when we would only pay the amount that the hotel quoted us as the usual fare. When it looked like the taxi driver wouldn't back down, we called the Radisson to ask for translation assistance, and the general manager did a great job intervening in the matter, brokering a compromise by phone so that we could get out of the situation safely. He then did follow up after we returned to the hotel to make sure we were ok. We were very impressed by this level of service.

The only negative things about the hotel were that I felt the room decor was too utilitarian and that the restaurant food was overpriced yet ordinary. For those who had rooms with a view of the Bosphorus, the lack of interesting decor probably would not have mattered much. However, since we had a room overlooking the street and the garage, it just felt like any room in any corporate hotel in any part of the world, a dark one at that since the buildings across the street blocked direct sunlight. The restaurant service was great, but the food had no flavor and was nothing special. Yet, a dinner for two with no alcohol came to about $90. In contrast, when we ate out at one of the local restaurants, which offered Turkish dishes with rich flavors, we only paid $20 total for two people.

Despite the drawbacks, this is a good valued hotel. The room rates were very reasonable for the location, and the staff's service was exceptional.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple