Radisson Blu Bosphorus Hotel, Istanbul
Sirkeci Mansion(Istanbul)
$220
$193
  • Breakfast included
The Byzantium Hotel & Suites(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
$493
$386
$372
$273
  • Breakfast included
Divan City Istanbul(Istanbul)(Great Value!)
$69
$411
$397
Cancelon
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbusiness class roomhouse cafehotel is locatedstandard roomrestaurants and barsbreakfast buffetthe hotel offersgreat cityasian sidewonderful hotelhotel staffturkish bathold cityturkeytaksim squareortakoybosphorus
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 3, 2009

Can't fault the design, upkeep and staff training at all. My only complaint, and this is most likely not the fault of the Radisson, is that the hotel has one of the busiest and noisiest nightclubs right next door, and there are cars revving engines, honking horns, and people screaming and shouting ALL night EVERY night. Forget staying here, it is central and convenient for sightseeing, but you will get NO sleep.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2009

I booked a one night stay on Expedia at this hotel for an October, 2008 date and prepaid for the room as required. Since this was the last night of our vacation, I wanted something special. I had booked the second highest priced room, a “Bosphorus” room with the understanding that this was a room on the Bosphorus Straight (waterfront) side on the hotel. When we checked in, I showed the desk clerk my receipt from Expedia showing prepayment. I was asked to provide a credit card, which I assumed was needed to cover any extra charges. We were given a room on the street side of the hotel. When I complained and again showed the front desk the Expedia reservation they explained that no other rooms were available. So instead of a room overlooking the Bosphorus, we looked down on one of the busiest streets in Istanbul.

At checkout it was clear that I had not received a credit for my prepayment through Expedia. Once again I showed the desk clerk, and then the manager, my receipt from Expedia. Despite this the manager insisted I owed the full amount without my prepayment to Expedia. We were then in a hurry to get to the airport, and I assumed that this could be fairly easily corrected later.

Little did I know that it would take six months plus to resolve this matter. In the process of trying to straighten this out Radisson applied two different credits which made no sense, and then a charge which was also incorrect. Over time, I made three lengthy telephone calls (one of which was an hour and 45 minutes) to my credit card company attempting to resolve this matter. After each of the three phone calls I provided detailed follow up letters to my credit card, because the agents continued to be understandably confused by the Radisson transactions. Finally, six months later on May 1, 2009, I received a correct refund.

It will be a long time before I stay at a Radisson again. Also, my conclusion is that I will not book through Expedia again. I just adds an intermediary that can confuse matters. In addition, Expedia requires prepayment, when if you booked directly with the hotel they seldom require prepayment. Note that Expedia is typically collecting a healthy percentage of the room charge (I believe 20%), plus keeping the same percentage of the room tax (for which they have been successfully sued by local governments) plus then charging an added fee. You often can get a lower rate by dealing directly with the hotel. Why not give the money to a well run hotel, instead of Expedia, and avoid the prepayment?

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Traveler56789
Reviewed June 19, 2009

The location of the Radisson Blu Bosphorus, right on the shore of the Bosphorus at the foot of the Bosphorus bridge, cannot be beat. The area is lively with interesting shops, cafes, restaurants, and a beautiful Baroque-style Mosque. The restaurant's outdoor terrace is right by the water, allowing diners to gaze at the blue waters, boats, and the Asian side of Istanbul while dining. It's quite a romantic view.

The service at the hotel was fabulous. The staff at the front desk was always helpful, checking taxi rates for us, recommending ways to get around town, and talking to drivers for us when the driver didn't speak English (and we unfortunately didn't speak Turkish). The hair salon delivered a great head message for me and an impressive old-fashioned shave for my boyfriend. The general manager of the hotel deserves special mention for his attentiveness, friendliness, and discreet demeanor that reminded me of a true gentleman from bygone eras. One evening, when we took a long taxi ride to Karakoy on the Asian side, our taxi driver tried to cheat us by taking a route that was twice as long as was normal. We discovered this (why do such taxi drivers always assume we haven't been to the place before just because we don't speak the local language, or that we won't have a map with us?), and an argument broke out at our destination when we would only pay the amount that the hotel quoted us as the usual fare. When it looked like the taxi driver wouldn't back down, we called the Radisson to ask for translation assistance, and the general manager did a great job intervening in the matter, brokering a compromise by phone so that we could get out of the situation safely. He then did follow up after we returned to the hotel to make sure we were ok. We were very impressed by this level of service.

The only negative things about the hotel were that I felt the room decor was too utilitarian and that the restaurant food was overpriced yet ordinary. For those who had rooms with a view of the Bosphorus, the lack of interesting decor probably would not have mattered much. However, since we had a room overlooking the street and the garage, it just felt like any room in any corporate hotel in any part of the world, a dark one at that since the buildings across the street blocked direct sunlight. The restaurant service was great, but the food had no flavor and was nothing special. Yet, a dinner for two with no alcohol came to about $90. In contrast, when we ate out at one of the local restaurants, which offered Turkish dishes with rich flavors, we only paid $20 total for two people.

Despite the drawbacks, this is a good valued hotel. The room rates were very reasonable for the location, and the staff's service was exceptional.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2009

To start of with, although I prepaid for our (my colleague and I) stay in the hotel and this was arranged beforehand, but come the day of my check-in, the front desk still asks me for payment. After I showed her the remittance proof, she apologized but still asks for my credit card. To add on, on the day I check-out, again the desk manager ask how I would like to settle payment. Again I have to show him the remittance proof. Though he apologized still this should not have happened at the first place. The registration system should have been updated before our arrival. Despite this, the air-conditioning in our room wasn’t functioning. We had to open up the windows but the noise outside was unbearable. I was told that the air-conditioning system had some problem which couldn’t be fixed overnight. What disappointing most is we were not offered to change room at all. To make matter worst, on the subject of privacy, I was informed that the maintenance guy will come to fix the air-conditioner at 12.30pm. At 11am while I was in the wc after shower with the door open, there was 2 guys knocking on our door and rush in immediately after 1 knock only. He did not even have the courtesy to introduce himself first; room service or maintenance, at least knock, shout and wait for respond from inside the room before bumping in as if no one is inside. I could quite clearly see the two men faces inside the wc, half naked. Again, the hotel shows no sign of remedy. This is very bad. Toilet rolls and tissues inside the bathroom were not replenished despite “Please clean room” sign has been put up.

Overall, my impression was one of a disappointment. We are very unimpressed with the staff; the operator sounded pressured and agitated as we call to complaint the air conditioner and maintenance guys, annoyed by the front desk and the inefficient registration system and most importantly no common courtesy and respect of guest’s privacy. This is seriously my worst experience with a 5 star rated hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 20, 2009

The hotel was typical scandinavian, clean, neat and minimal. The staff were efficient and friendly. The view from the hotel room was fantastic! looking over the bosphorus, the all inclusive breakfast buffet was very good as well. Room service food was not too great, i suggest you step outside, there are plenty of restaurants a minutes walk away. The restaurant right next door japanese restaurant, Zuma, was really good but very very expensive (a meal for four with sake was around 500$'s!) , probably has one of the best views around as its right on the waterfront. The hotels next to the radisson are more upmarket, the four season and ciran palace, but they are also a lot more expensive. Also the radisson has no real turkish design influences so you could think you were a hotel anywhere else in the world and especially in scandinavia, except when you look out the window afcourse. Overall it's a nice luxurious business hotel with no hassles and a very helpful staff.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)