“Had a fun time”

Ranked #10 of 1,089 things to do in Istanbul
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Rahmi M Koç Museum is the first major museum in Turkey dedicated to the history of Transport, Industry and Communications. Housed in magnificent buildings - themselves prime examples of industrial archaeology - on the shore of the historic Golden Horn, the collection contains thousands of items from gramophone needles to full size ships and aircraft.
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The museum takes a long time to go through, but I guess it's because we were all excited at everything. Had fun like little kids at the interactive areas.

1  Thank ddevronn
There are newer reviews for Rahmi M. Koc Museum

Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

It is not a spectacle, but very good value for money, spending few hours checking Mr. Koc's collection!

Possibility to get in to old DC3 airplane was the highlight of the visit. Too bad it took some additional procedure to see the submarine from the inside.

Anyhow, warm recomendation!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I'm a mechanical engineer and love technology museums, so this was an amazing place for me to visit. (My family showed interest and remarkable patience, but was ready to go before I was.)
Still, there is a lot here for almost everyone - cars, trains, household items, boats, aircraft, and more - all combined with a unique look at how Turkey has progressed into the modern era over the past 100 years. Many of the exhibits allow you to actually climb into or aboard them, and all let you get far closer and touch more things than you would in a more well-known museum. There were very few people there when we went, so it was a relaxing break from an otherwise busy day.
Getting there is a longish but fairly cheap taxi ride from the Eminonu tram stop. I'm not aware of a better public transit option, but the cab driver knew right where it was and dropped us right near the front entrance.
If you go, I recommend taking a break midway through, getting a snack (very inexpensive) aboard the museum's restored ferry and sitting at the tables on the front deck while watching the boats on the Golden Horn.

1  Thank cc10123
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We were not disappointed at all, oh yes and the kids had a great time - and yes it is very much a hands on museum. I have to admit even for us the big kids we could not hide our joy and pleasure of all the old memories flooding back... Where should i start ...the classic cars were very sweet looking, the train sets collections were sooo amazing, the boat collection one word - classy. The aka 'mechanics display' got the kids going and from there we could not keep up with their hanger to want to see more of what was on display. The whole place was mind blowing for both small and big kids alike. I have to also mention the museum can get very busy with local school groups and such but the place is kept very clean and I mean everywhere.

1  Thank Msafir
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Everything exposed was so interesting!!We saw old cars old bycicles, olive oil productions, and a lot of fascinating items

1  Thank Flora S