“A good hostel worth the price paid”
Review of Bahaus Guesthouse

and 1 more site!
Bahaus Guesthouse
Ranked #32 of 1,219 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
London, United Kingdom
“A good hostel worth the price paid”
Reviewed September 24, 2010

OK OK people - this is not the cleanest hostel I have been to but its the people and ambience that make it cool. If you are looking for a clean boutique place .. you should look to spend more than a £100 for the pleasure of having a proper hotel room.

The place does exactly what it says on the tin... the bathrooms could do with some improvements .. but there is no more I can say to add to it .

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I stayed at this place in August and first impressions were everything here. Our 'clean' room had a drenched towel in the bathroom that doubled for a bath mat and the rooms do not have air conditioning. The bedroom fan is useless in 45 degree weather and the male staff are more concerned with meeting the female travellers rather than providing any kind of customer service.

The one good thing is their rooftop patio but the pub crawl they take you on is a waste of time. You quickly learn that they take you to their friend's local bars that are empty but where you of course can buy beer. I am sure they receive some kind of kickback for the money spent here. We went out on a Saturday and after being dragged to 2 of these random bars by the Bauhaus staff, all of the travellers got together and decided to leave them and find other bars in Taxsim that were more promising. I could go on, but do not waste your time with booking here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank eastern_std_time
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Ok, first of all, the fact that it's in Sultanamet is not a pro. The area is a tourist ghetto full of overpriced tacky shops and mediocre restaurants.. if you want to have fun/chill just go to Taksim, Galata or anywhere else really...
The hostel itself was extremely disappointing.. First of all, there was no airconditioning in the rooms and with 35C temperatures and 5 sweaty englishmen in the room this certainly wasn't good! I have had the pleasure to stay in other hostels in Istanbul since then and I can also confidently say that the hostel is also overpriced for what they offer...
The furniture is just plain broken/old/tacky... and the cleanliness of the hostel is also something of a let down. My white "clean" sheets had a big brown stain and the toilets were always damp and dirty..
I definitely would not reccomend it!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank Eponalank
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I stayed in Istanbul at Bahaus Guesthouse for 3 nights and the location was perfect, the staff super friendly and helpful. When I go back I will definitely stay at Bahaus and would recommend it for. Thanks guys!! Leanne from Canada

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
American living abroad
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Found the hostel on hostelworld originally. According to the reviews on that site I was completely misled. I have traveled a fair bit and well I cant say its the worst place I have stayed but it is no where near the best. I stayed 3 nights. 20 Euro/night. The hostel doesn't really coordinate any activities. Pub crawl 1night but nothing else. Beds were decent. Bathrooms were not that clean. They smell strongly of a citrus air freshener. They have a bar up on the roof. It was a pretty cool place to hang out. As far as location goes its not bad. You are near the tram so the Grand Bazaar is really close along with other sites. It also has plenty of restaurants near by. Basically I feel the hostel was overall 5/10. Simple nothing special though and not worth the money in my opinion. They have better places to stay in Istanbul then this place.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Link3449
Bridgeport, Connecticut
Reviewed June 22, 2010

When it comes to the Bahaus house, its all about the staff! This was my first time traveling alone and the staff at the Bahaus guesthouse were so fun, friendly and accommodating that I gained the confiedence I needed to get out and really enjoy the city! They plan activities nightly including a belly dancer on Friday and a pub-crawl on Saturday! I met some of the nicest, most adventurous and skilled travelers during my stay at the Bahaus house. Besides the staff, the location is convenient for sightseeing and the metro is close enough to catch daily into Taksim. The rooms are clean and offer a bed curtain for extra privacy! I didn't plan on staying five nights but the place was so comfortable that I felt like I was coming "home" each night to my hostel family! Whether you're into backgammon or beers you can always count on service and a friendly face on the rooftop bar. Special thanks to Tony, Volcano and Ugur Uner for their friendship and hospitality!
Love from America!
Allison

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank abuller
Santa Cruz
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Not only myself but my happen-to-be room mate from different country had the same experience in a 4 female dorm at Bahaus, Istanbul. Just before traveling to Istanbul, we coincidently have read the same review regarding the terrible experience of a review sender about bed bugs. I got afraid of bed bugs so I canceled the extra night accommodation ( I couldn't cancel the first night one because I had paid the security deposit - last minute before the arrival) and brought a new well-insulated sleeping bag, a bedbug repellent spray and jel which I never had bought before. Simply don't like any bugs/dirty rooms. But another girl did not react like that although she also got afraid, she told me when we met there in a 4 female dorm at Bahaus. She already had stayed there 2 nights herself before me. What both of us found there was NO BED BUGS AT ALL in every inch in 4 female dorm - and the room was kept clean. It was a good news anyway. The front desk staff told me, they regularly disinfect beds and rooms to prevent bugs and pass public inspections every time. SO NO EXAGGERATION but we actually had very comfortable sleep there - that was after the contributed reviewer had complained to them?? I don't know but I can tell people about my own experience there. The staff's hospitality was good (especially Mr.Tarik's quality service is worth mentioning), nice friendly atmosphere and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business