“Overrated!”

Ranked #32 of 1,221 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
American living abroad
“Overrated!”
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Found the hostel on hostelworld originally. According to the reviews on that site I was completely misled. I have traveled a fair bit and well I cant say its the worst place I have stayed but it is no where near the best. I stayed 3 nights. 20 Euro/night. The hostel doesn't really coordinate any activities. Pub crawl 1night but nothing else. Beds were decent. Bathrooms were not that clean. They smell strongly of a citrus air freshener. They have a bar up on the roof. It was a pretty cool place to hang out. As far as location goes its not bad. You are near the tram so the Grand Bazaar is really close along with other sites. It also has plenty of restaurants near by. Basically I feel the hostel was overall 5/10. Simple nothing special though and not worth the money in my opinion. They have better places to stay in Istanbul then this place.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Link3449

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Turkish first
Bridgeport, Connecticut
Reviewed June 22, 2010

When it comes to the Bahaus house, its all about the staff! This was my first time traveling alone and the staff at the Bahaus guesthouse were so fun, friendly and accommodating that I gained the confiedence I needed to get out and really enjoy the city! They plan activities nightly including a belly dancer on Friday and a pub-crawl on Saturday! I met some of the nicest, most adventurous and skilled travelers during my stay at the Bahaus house. Besides the staff, the location is convenient for sightseeing and the metro is close enough to catch daily into Taksim. The rooms are clean and offer a bed curtain for extra privacy! I didn't plan on staying five nights but the place was so comfortable that I felt like I was coming "home" each night to my hostel family! Whether you're into backgammon or beers you can always count on service and a friendly face on the rooftop bar. Special thanks to Tony, Volcano and Ugur Uner for their friendship and hospitality!
Love from America!
Allison

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank abuller
Santa Cruz
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Not only myself but my happen-to-be room mate from different country had the same experience in a 4 female dorm at Bahaus, Istanbul. Just before traveling to Istanbul, we coincidently have read the same review regarding the terrible experience of a review sender about bed bugs. I got afraid of bed bugs so I canceled the extra night accommodation ( I couldn't cancel the first night one because I had paid the security deposit - last minute before the arrival) and brought a new well-insulated sleeping bag, a bedbug repellent spray and jel which I never had bought before. Simply don't like any bugs/dirty rooms. But another girl did not react like that although she also got afraid, she told me when we met there in a 4 female dorm at Bahaus. She already had stayed there 2 nights herself before me. What both of us found there was NO BED BUGS AT ALL in every inch in 4 female dorm - and the room was kept clean. It was a good news anyway. The front desk staff told me, they regularly disinfect beds and rooms to prevent bugs and pass public inspections every time. SO NO EXAGGERATION but we actually had very comfortable sleep there - that was after the contributed reviewer had complained to them?? I don't know but I can tell people about my own experience there. The staff's hospitality was good (especially Mr.Tarik's quality service is worth mentioning), nice friendly atmosphere and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed February 22, 2010

DO NOT STAY HERE!!! No joke, no exaggeration - this is the story (and i am not a sooky girly girl):
* I booked in to the 4 girl dorm on 1st floor - this is where the bed bugs were
* Went to bed that night - woke to intense stinging itch on my legs
* Turned on torch and 4 bugs were trying to run out of the light so I squashed on on the sheets - i followed the others who ran back to the wooden walls (they live in wood, and yes bed bugs can grow heaps bigger than we think - easily seen) and saw another 10 bugs that had come out at night and were sitting on the wood waiting to come down.
* I jumped out of bed and told the guy at the desk who was helpful with changing sheets but told me I couldn't have another bed because they were saving it for a "walk in"
* He then got sleazy and told me i could stay on the reception couch with him so i basically had a sleepless night up in the open air bar on the roof with about 20 bites all over me.
* The next day i packed my stuff and told the manager i needed my money back for that night plus the 3 following nights i had already paid - HE REFUSED MY REFUND and was totally verbally aggressive when I mentioned "bed bugs" out loud in reception, trying to make out i was lying.

Guys - it seems like a nice place with a fun bar upstairs and good brekkie - but that place is riddled by bugs and they will never go away - the dude i met upstairs said he had some in the boys dorms too.

Choose somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
10 Thank smarty1809
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed January 7, 2010

Bahaus has a good vibe - there are lots of travellers here and a nice meeting place on the top floor for breakfast and socialising. I do like the individual curtains on the beds and the nightlights and the hairdryer attached to each of the bathrooms.

The downside is that the bathroom smelled and the smell wafted in everytime the door opens. The bathroom also seemed rather old and small and not maintained properly. The staff could have also put more effort into being more genuine and helpful to others. More improvements could be made to the service provided in the hostel.It is also slightly more expensive than other hostels.

However, if your top priority is to meet people and mingle, this is the place to go.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lavy81
New York
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Having stayed at many hostels, I'd say my time spent at Bahaus Guesthouse in Sultanahmet, Istanbul was the best, no contest. My 3 friends and I (all of us girls) had an amazing time there and all agreed that it was the best part of our trip.
The dorm rooms were great: secure (locked with a keycode and individual security lockers available), clean, and not too noisy. Each bunk even has its own set of curtains to help block out light and noise, not that it was necessary. The bathrooms were clean enough (I wouldn't say sparkling, but they were decent).
By far the most outstanding aspects of this hostel are the staff and the rooftop bar and common areas. The manager, Tarik, and the rest of the staff are uncommonly kind, friendly, and helpful. Not only did they teach us some useful Turkish phrases and give generous advice and directions about seeing the city, one of the staff, Volcano, even walked us to the Grand Bazaar and helped us bargain for stuff! The management also does a lot to create a lively and festive atmosphere among backpackers. The rooftop bar is amazing - we had initially thought to hit up the club scene, but an awesome view of the city and the Bosphorus kept us going back up to Bahaus' bar. Swapping stories and laughs with fellow travelers and adventurers while sharing toasts and nargile (water pipe) felt like the perfect way to end each night. One of my favorite things about traveling is meeting cool new people (both locals and people from all over the world), and I think Bahaus has been the absolute best place to do that.

To sum a long review: clean and comfortable rooms, free breakfast (the most complete and satisfying I've had at a youth hostel), staff that are both good hosts and good friends, excellent atmosphere for getting to know fellow backpackers...and did i mention free internet?

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank WanderingLass14
Sydney
Reviewed July 19, 2009

We stayed at Bahaus both in a shared dorm (6 beds) and also in a triple room. The rooms themselves were fine (the personal shelves, lights and outlets were great) though the dorm room had only a basic floor fan (a ceiling fan would have been much better). The shared bathrooms were a bit hit or miss - the basement (where our dorm room was) had 2 bathrooms one of which was good (though it had some drainage problems) but the other one was very small and the shower wasn't very good. Upstairs, the shared bathrooms seemed a bit better and, as there were plenty of them, we rarely had to wait which is a plus.

The staff are friendly and helpful with making our plans and the common rooms (internet room, breakfast room, rooftop balcony) were fantastic. Location is great too - Sultanahmet is a wonderful part of Istanbul close to sights, restaurants and shops.

• Stayed June 2009