“Such a good time!”

and 1 more site!
Bahaus Guesthouse
Ranked #32 of 1,246 Specialty Lodging in Istanbul
Reviewed October 6, 2012

A friend and I stayed at the Bahaus 2 weekends in a row and had a fantastic time. The staff were lovely and helped us with any questions and arranged a few trips for us. Kagan was really friendly and always greeted us with a smile when we had another question for him!

Nice location near The Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace.

Really good rooftop with a friendly atmosphere.

Would definitely stay here a third time!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 4, 2012

This hostel is rated very high on many “hostels” websites but I don’t see what the hype is about. I found it to be very average. Some good; some bad about it.

The Pros:
- Location is excellent if you are there to visit every tourist attractions. At a walking distance of the Grand Bazar, Blue Mosque, etc.
- There is a rooftop bar that is pretty cozy. Their prices are a little cheaper than the nearby restaurants but definitely more expensive than most hostel-bars that I’ve been to around Europe.
- Wi-fi works well throughout the hostel, including the rooms and bars.
- Common computers are available to use for free. (I think there’s 4 or 5 of them). They are slow but they do the trick.
- Each bed has privacy curtains as well as a personal light.
- Our ensuite was large and clean.

The Cons:
- The neighbourhood is DEAD after diner. If you want to go out, you MUST take a tram or a cab outside the neighbourhood. For young people who generally stay at hostels, this is a bit of a hassle. For partying, stay in Taksim district.
- They DO have a bedbug problem… They kicked-us out of our rooms in order to “spray” the room with chemicals while we were there. At least they are trying to do something about it.
- In my dorm of 4, two of the four lockers were so old that we couldn’t lock them.
- NO A.C. They do have many fans in each rooms but… Still… this is Istanbul. It gets hot.
- They CHARGE you 5% extra if you use a credit card and charge you EXTREMELY high interest rates if you DON’T use Euros, which is ridiculous. This is Istanbul, I should be able to pay in Lyra…

Finally, the staff there is a hit or miss. One guy was very helpful, while another one was always high/drunk and very arrogant and unprofessional. They all seemed very annoyed when we asked questions (getting directions, having them call a cab, etc).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Anikabella
Reviewed September 20, 2012

If you want to spare yourself a lot of trouble, stay away from this hostel. They have bedbugs, and given that is hostel is full of carpets blankets and curtains in every room, they will never get rid of them. I got bitten by bedbugs very badly, especially on my legs and I dread permanent scarring from it. Those bites look awful, they swell and turn dark red after some time, but the worst part ist the iching they cause. On top of that, one of the bites near my ancle got scratched and infected, so my frist stop after my flight home was the hospital to prevent any further spread of the infection. This is not something I would call a very relaxing trip!

Apart from the bedbugs trouble this hostel is hardly average, it's not as sociable as it claims to be, and meeting people is much harder than in other hostels. They don't have a common room, and even though the rooftop terrasse is rather nice and gives you great views, I did not find it very welcoming. The staff is ok, but they don't speak English too well, so communicating is not that easy. Security is not good either, you don't get a key do your dorm, just a very simple code that they probably never change. The location is ok if your only there for a very short stay and if your priority is only to see all the major sights. However, Sultanahmed is very bad for going out, shopping and places to eat, and merely a place for tourists, so if you're there a little bit longer, I would definitely recommend staying in another part of the city like Galata or Beyoglu.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Christine S
Reviewed September 18, 2012

More than a review, we'd like to make this a note of thankfulness. As travelers, we sometimes look for a place that will remind us of the comfort of home, a safe atmosphere where you can crash after hours and hours of walking, and rest your weary soul. What makes a house a home is the warmth of the people who are there to welcome you. Bauhaus has been that and more.
Needless to say, no bed bugs, and super honest management! The place is clean, fun and breakfast great. Staff super friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Dorms help you save money, but private rooms are also affordable.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have no idea why hostelworld suggest you to go here.
First night: - we had to sleep in different rooms because they mixed up their reservations
- all lockers in the rooms were broken, you could not store your stuff savely.
- most tomatoes at breakfast were old and not eatable anymore, the rest was bad as well
- obviously they sometimes do not change sheets for new guest!
Third night: we came home late and there was a person in my bed! i had to sleep in one bed with my friend. the stuff was like "ehm sorry,..ehm" - pretenting to be friendly but just to get rid of you.
- the bathroom in the basement smell
Worst of it all was that our bags were searched. They stole several things, some we recognised on our way back- the stuff didnt do nothing! we should have used the broken lockers!

so please, there are better and! cheaper hostels in istanbul, please dont stay at bahaus!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank ines s
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed in this hostel for one night in early August of this year. The staff were informative, welcoming and friendly. The bathroom was exceptionally clean (which is always most important for me!). We stayed in the 8 bed mixed dorm - the cleanliness of the room was fine but due to the lack of any ac and only one fan (which had been taken over by a couple of tourists on the other side of the room) was unbearable and impossible to sleep in. It was by far the worst ventilated dorm we stayed in during our two week trip. We arrived late and left early so didn't get a chance to check out the bar or terrace.

Overall, for the price this is a good hostel for one night but I am not sure I would use it as a base during a stay in Istanbul.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Spidy_12
Reviewed August 8, 2012

For whatever reasons this guesthouse is mentioned by all the major backpackers guides. No matter how many people they;ll squeeze into one room with no AC and a broken fan it will always be full. Even if the squeeze so many as you are not even able to open the windows completely. Summer time it was just horrible. Also don't count too much on a splendid view of the Bosporus as another hotel block most of it. So the reception staff is quite cool but it's not a compensation to all those sleepless nights due to heat and very bad mattress we had.
I wonder how the LP recommends it , even though it obviously target the backpackers crowd there a strict minimum to ask.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends