“Great hotel and staff in Istanbul”

The Marmara Pera Hotel
Ranked #179 of 1,160 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at the Marmara Pera in Istanbul for 7 nights. Our great experience with this hotel started well before we reached Istanbul. I had contacted the hotel by email to find out about the rooms, specifically if we will be able to check in early since we were landing at about 10:10 AM and needed to freshen up before. Gözde Güzünler, the front desk supervisor, responded right away. She was very helpful and reassuring and told me that as soon as a room became available that morning, she would hold it for me. We had a great room on the 16th floor overlooking the city and the Golden Horn. Every one on the staff was helpful. Cumhur Büyükyüksel, the front desk manager would be there every day and would ask if everything was ok and if not he would dispatch someone to take care of it.

The Marmara Pera is in great location as well. Within walking distance of the Istiklal Street and Taksim Square and the Pera Museum is half a block away. There is a taxi stand right outside the hotel as is an ATM. There are small shops and great restaurants right around the corner. The Mikla restaurant on the top floor of the Marmara Pera has a great view of the whole region. (note : it is a bit expensive but it is gourmet menu).

I highly recommend the Marmara Pera.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 25, 2013

This hotel is very well-located, within walking distance of Istiklal street (which we loved and was our everyday choice for eating) and even Taksim Square. The rooms are well decorated and some have a beautiful Bosphorus view. The staff is very helpful: we left some luggage there to pick up on our return to Istanbul and it worked out smoothly. We always exchanged money there as well.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed in the Marmara Pera for two nights post-cruise. Initially I thought I would regret not staying in Sultanahmet but this turned out to be a great location. It was a quick transfer from the pier, and there is a taxi stand right outside the door, so we were always able to get wherever we wanted to quickly. The rooms were very nice, modern and clean. The rooftop has a pool and bar and the view is spectacular.The breakfast buffet is really excellent. It is an easy walk to restaurants, shopping, etc. All in all, a great value.

Room Tip: Ask for a high view and view of the water.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Regina B
Cumhur B, Ön Büro Müdürü at The Marmara Pera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2015

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review.

The Marmara Pera has an ideal location and we are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We would like to welcome you in our property once again.

Best Regards,

Cumhur Büyükyüksel
Front Office Manager

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Just back from 10 days at this hotel in Istanbul which greeted numerous participants to the International Federation of University Women's Triennial conference organized by the Turkish Federation of University Women. The TFUW recommended the hotel and they were quite right to do so. Wonderful location; attentive, friendly, patient, courteous personnel who made us feel safe and well looked after and many spoke English; great food; great views from the rooftop bar. Don't expect large rooms, especially if you're sharing, but when visiting the city or attending a conference, who's got time to stay in your room anyway? Our room didn't have a bathtub but some rooms did. Make sure you can climb into one has the sides were quite high. Had a seaview room and the view is spectacular from the 15th floor: saw cruise ships docking and other maritime traffic, Galata tower, numerous mosques, the hustle and bustle of this fantastic city. Excellent restaurants also within walking distance. Bring ear plugs for some nights as city centre clubs are nearby. One of the elevators was capricious but technician always on hand to set things right. The buffet breakfast at the hotel is copious. Taxi stand right in front. Main shopping street in Beyoglu neighbourhood, Istiklal Caddesi, one cobblestoned block up from hotel. Bring solid, comfortable walking shoes as codes for buildings, sidewalks and streets not what North Americans are used to. There are two pools on the roof: one is a small wading pool for kids and the other is deeper but small. Have to climb down the ladder to get into it and it closes at 6 pm when the bar opens. Very windy but in 35 C températures, the wind was extremely refreshing!

Room Tip: Corner seaview rooms have corner windows; others have picture windows which make the room seem large...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Bicun S, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Pera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your ideas with us.

As a 4-star hotel, we try to do our best to deliver you a 5-star experience.
We enjoyed your comment a lot because it simply proves that we met each and every requirement of a hotel: clean rooms, sense of style, tasty food, friendly service, not just good but the best location. The Marmara Pera is located in wonderland from a tourist's point of view. It is in a walking distance to most of the tourist attractions and also at the heart of the sophisticated yet intellectual spot of the city.

You can be sure that each time you prefer our hotel, smiley faces, comfy beds and beautiful views will be waiting for you.

Please be so kind to send me an e-mail directly on bschwindt@themarmarahotels.com before your next trip so that I will be able to organize the room and special treatment in advance.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I enjoyed my one week stay at this hotel. Gozde was very professional and handled my check in very well! We had booked a double room for myself and my sister and we were joined after a few days by another sister who stayed only a few days . At first I was told we would have to pay extra for the third sister but I insisted we could all share the double bed and after going back and growth a bit we didn't have to pay anymore.

Location: I love it ! Very close to Istikal street which is a great place to get a feel of Istanbul. Istikal is home to Taksim square (we witnessed a few peaceful demonstrations), a no of local and international shops , restaurants and so much more!

Transportation: with a taxi park just outside the hotel getting around Istanbul from here is quite easy. It's costs an average of 10tl to get to most places like the Grand Bazaar ( also close to the spice bazaar, Eminonu and the New Mosque), Osmanbey ( lots of shops) and so on.

Food: I only had breakfast at the hotel and it wasn't bad...I had most of my meals at the nearby Istikal street.

The only cons would be the minimal English speaking channels ( only two) as well as the extremely windy rooftop and very tiny pool ! Ohh and they seemed to have a scarcity of towels !

Apart from that I loved it and would stay there again. I found Gozde and Mehmet (to an extent) especially professional..

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for wireless as all the rooms have wireless. Also even if you don't pay for...
Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Bicun S, Halkla İlişkiler Müdürü at The Marmara Pera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful, detailed comment on your stay in The Marmara Pera Hotel.

We are really happy to hear your satisfaction and I would like to state that whole team, especially Gözde and Mehmet were really glad to see your review on Trip Advisor.

The city of both history and future, Europe and Asia will always be pleased to welcome you and your family.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Just returned from a week spent in Istanbul. Fantastic town and fantastic Hotel with a good price/quality ratio and in perfect location.
Beyoglu is definitely much more interesting and alive than Sultanahmet area (i'm not talking about monuments of course).

Pros
Location: a stone throw to Istiklal caddesi and yet very quiet. 10 minutes walking to Galata Tower, 15 minutes walking to Galata Bridge, 3 minutes to Tunel Station. Plenty of restaurants, pubs, bars, shops (and not only for tourists! on the contrary...).

View: S T U N N I N G Even much better than the one you can have from the Galata Tower (after a long queue and 12,50 TL). The rooms with Bosphorus view worth the little extra money! Great terrace with (very small) swimming pool and a bar.

Staff: Friendly. Always. Check-in was fast, easy and very nice (thank you Gödze, as I told you it was one of the best check-in ever). And so was checking-out.

Room: despite being a little small and with its furniture a little worn, it was nice. Nice colours, nice design (Mad Men style), complimentary water every day, nice tv WIth many foreigner channels (2 italians), iPhone dock, bathrobe, sleepers and a stunning view over Istanbul. The bathroom was small, still a little worn, but -once again- more than adequate.

Cleanliness: ok, just as expected.

Breakfast: very good. Nice food, good quality and plenty of choice, although a little of the "salt" side (I'm italian and we are much more on the "sweet side"). But that's Turkey, so it is perfect. Moreover I love both: salt and sweet side, so...

Internet connection: free and perfectly working, both in the bedroom and in public areas. Great!

Cons
I can't find any. I mean anyone "real". It's not the perfect hotel, but actually, after spending 1/3 of every year sleeping in hotel bedrooms, I can say this one worths this review and more than a visit. That's why I hope to come back soon and keep on exploring Istanbul.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank rob884
Bicun S, Guest Relations Manager at The Marmara Pera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed & wonderful review and also for your great pictures .

It is a great pleasure to hear your satisfaction with your stay in The Marmara Pera Hotel.
Beyoğlu is the most crowded and most popular area in İstanbul. When it comes to Pera, it is a different story in terms of art galleries, bookstores and boutique cafes. Your comment is simply proves that we met each and every requirement of a hotel: clean rooms, sense of style, tasty breakfast, friendly service and great location.

We are also happy to learn of your satisfaction with our team members especially for Gözde Güzünler. She is our Front Office supervisor. Every single staff in this precise property enjoys being a part of The Marmara Family so whenever we communicate, we do it because we love listening your experiences and sharing our knowledge with you.

I strongly suggest you to visit us again and discover İstanbul from another point of view.

Best Regards,

Reviewed August 21, 2013

When I came to check at lunch time the receptionist informed that the rooms cannot be accessed before 3 PM. This was a little bit anoying in the beginning, but I could change clothes in the fitness room and the hotel stored all my luggage until I came back in the evening. Then I immediatly got the room.
The suites towards the sea offers absolut mangnificent views. I even did not close the blinds durimg the night for not missing that view a second. The suite is nice with a bed and living room. The suite was clean, all equpment was working well and the bed was very comfortable.
The breakfast buffet is OK.
In the room I missed a desk, where you could work nicely and the cupboard was splitted in the middle so that you could not hang your trousers properly (only folded on the hanger).
The location of the hotel is nice also for sightseeing (many attractions in that area) and shopping. If you are hungry there are also many restaurants near the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room with view towards the sea on the upper floors (10 or more)
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Bicun S, Halkla İlişkiler Müdürü at The Marmara Pera Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful comment.

Among 205 rooms, we have 3 Junior Suites which suffice in size and breathtaking in terms of their wide Golden Horn view.

Since your company is in a walking distance of 2 minutes from our hotel, please do not hesitate to prefer The Marmara Pera for your upcoming İstanbul trip and please inform reception if you need a desk in your room.
"No" is never counted as an answer in our hotel since guest satisfaction is the most important goal of The Marmara Family.

Hope to see you here, soon.