“very good for the price”
Review of Almina Hotel

Almina Hotel
Ranked #74 of 1,156 Hotels in Istanbul
Danville, California
“very good for the price”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I enjoyed my 10-night stay at the Almina. The staff were very helpful, the room was comfortable, and the breakfast more than I could eat. There was no place to unpack my bag; it would have been nice to have shelves in the closet. I was alone in a two-bed room so I unpacked onto the second bed. Some people on TripAdvisor complained about the noise of the train but I could hardly hear it, even when my hearing aids were in. I had hot water most of the time, with plenty for a shower.

Room Tip: Ask for an extra bed for your luggage
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ennis, Ireland
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Almina speaks for itself in these few lines from 3 very happy Irish customers.
Attractive well laid out rooms
Luscious breakfast and turkish delights
Marvellous attentive staff
In marvellous location with sea walks
Neighbour authentically Turkish with cafe, shop and fabric factory
And set amid spectacular historical sites.

This hotel was a home from home and will most definitely be returning to the warm reception, welcoming staff and it was sheer bliss relaxing on the rooftop and being served with Turkish Tea. Sinead

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Middle East
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Almina hotel for 4 nights, the hotel is located only 5 minutes walking distance from the Blue Mosque, Arasta Bazar and Hagia Sophia.

The hotel is small and pleasant, although the train passes every 30 minutes but that was not causing much disturbance.

The breakfast is decent with variety of cheese, fresh bread and fruits.

The staff are nice and helpful except Mehmet who doesn't smile and made us feel uncomfortable from the moment we arrived to the hotel, I mean when we came from the airport after a long flight, we were very excited because we were waiting for this vacation since a long time, we reached the hotel and Mehmet was at the check in desk, he was unpleasant and rude, that discouraged us for a while, however we decided to ignore him and try to enjoy our stay, other staff on the contrary were nice and cheerful.

I recommend this hotel, since its situated in a nice location and at the same time it's away from the noise, and if it happens you meet with Mehmet just try to ignore him.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Aya294
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We had a very nice citytrip.
We travelled with the metro from the airport to our hotel. Once we ended our metro trip, we had the chance to enjoy the beautiful Blue Mosque.
Right after the Blue Mosque (in a calm street) you can find the Almina hotel.
We had a warm welcome and we where guided to our rooms.
The rooms are very clean and they look nice.
The staff helped us our whole trip. They show the real Turkish hospitallity.
They helped us for the best views, restaurants, ...

We do lots of citytrips and it would be nice if all hotel staff would be the same as the staff from the Almina Hotel.

Bert & Nazire

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BertMoons
Tønsberg, Vestfold, Norway
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We are experienced travelers with young children having a 24h stopover in Istanbul eager to doing sightseeing. We arrived late but were effectively checked. We had a triple room, very spacious and clean with comfortable beds. Our room was next to the room where breakfast was served, and we could hear them preparing early in the morning. It was very conveniently situated in old town Sulthanamet a short walking distance to the main attractions Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and so on. The breakfast was good, with very delicious home baked bread and fresh fruit. It was a 45 min taxi ride to the Ataturk International Airport, but traffic can be bad so it might take longer. The hotel met our expectations and can be recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Ulf Wike L
Istanbul
Reviewed February 27, 2013

the staff of Almina Hotel was ready to bend backward to fulfill our needs and facilitate our stay, they are great host and we realized how generous they are when we tried a different Hotel in a different location.... uncomparable!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 Thank Dana J
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in September 2012 – I’m only now getting around to writing a review.

Breakfast - 5 stars - great selection, quality and quantity in the beautiful atmosphere of their roof top terrace (weather was fantastic every day)

Location - 4.5 stars - easy to get to all the tourist stuff AND to get about on the transit systems. By the way - cleanest and most efficient transit system I have used in traveling the world. Finding the hotel is a bit tough. See the notes below

Service - 5 stars. - I couldn't get over how friendly the staff was - even if we didn't speak the same language.... and by the way - the front desk staff spoke great English! Watch out if you use the “common area’s” computer… a few of the keys are in different positions on the keyboard - makes logging in a nuisance if you don’t pay attention. The guys at the desk are used to being asked for help on this issue.

Amenities - 3.5 stars. A small room by North American standards but totally functional. A bit old, but very clean. Bathrooms were modernized and well maintained. The public areas were clean and well maintained. Drawbacks = adequate shower pressure - but not that "driving wake up " that I am used to at home. Their closet was small and there was no dresser so we used our luggage bags for socks, t-shirts, underwear etc. The only English channel on TV was a news channel. Despite these comments – we weren’t put off .... these "little things" really didn't mean that much to my wife and me.

Comfort - 5 stars - Great beds! I slept like a log with no muscle pain the next morning at all. One drawback - the morning call to prayer from the nearby Blue Mosque will wake you! So what did I do - I decided to pray and meditate - I was back to sleep in minutes - doesn't say much for my spiritual life does it? But I slept great! As for the local train service that some complain in their reviews as being noisy - a none issue! And I am not a "deep sleeper" at home; The train NEVER bothered us!

Finding the hotel: Take the metro from the airport (easy to do) to Keytinburnu Station. Transfer (separate token) to the Tram service and go to Sultanahmet. Get off and walk 5 to 7 minutes to the Almina. YOU WILL have to ask for directions (lots of English speakers in the area) since the hotel is on a back street - it is VERY SAFE TO WALK HERE. May I suggest you ask for the DOY DOY Restaurant . Once there, walk 2 streets further down the hill, turn left at the second intersection, and walk the bendy street to the bottom where the ALMINA is easy to see.

Would we go back to the Almina? – ABSOLUTELY!

Have a great visit - We LOVED Turkey!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple