“So relaxing!”

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“So relaxing!”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

You can't be in Istanbul without experiencing a real Turkish bath. We read a lot of reviews of various places, and while they mostly said that this one was very touristy (it's located near Sultanahmet park) we found it quite empty. The staff were friendly and professional, and the experience was relaxing and refreshing after a day in the hot sun.

Bring any moisturizers you typically use after a shower as well as your hairbrush and leave in conditioner if you need it. If you're not comfortable going naked bring your swimsuit. They give you a private changeroom with a key so you can lock up your stuff. The complimentary soap at the end was a nice surprise gift.

Highly recommend!

• Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“You saw them in the Palaces, now experience a Hammam or yourself”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

At the end of 4 days combat sightseeing in the endlessly fascinating city of Istanbul, my 2 adult daughters and I took ourselves off for a hammam - traditional Turkish bath - in this 300 year old facility built for one of the Sultans. A no-frills, authentic scrub and soapy massage, then lashings of water to rinse off, it was exactly what we wanted. The photos on the way out, of famous people who have enjoyed this ancient cleansing ritual, add to the feeling you've had a special experience. The hammam has separate facilities for men, families and women, so get naked (or nearly so if you prefer) and experience the real thing.

2 Thank Susan H
Houston, Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“A must do while in Istanbul”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

First let me start but saying I had no idea what to expect but I knew I had to have a turkish bath while in Turkey! When in Rome right or in this case Istanbul....

My husband and I both decide to do option four which included realxing in the hamam (the bathing room), then the exfoliation treatment, and 10 minutes of body massage while being scrubbed with soap. The cost was 50 euros per person. Im going to explain the process so you know what to expect. I know it was hard for me to relax in the beginning as I was unsure of what the process was.

What to Expect: Once you select your treatment and pay you are sent to one side depending on gender. (From talking to my husband the process seems pretty much the same on either side) You are given a room to undress and change into a towel. You are given a key to your room so your valuables/clothes are safe while you are having your treatment. You will then enter the hamam and relax for about 10 minutes. Then they will come and get you to start the exfoliating process and massage. The men patrons wear a towel around their waste the whole time while the women patrons are completely nude. (Ladies if you feel more comfortable to wear a swimsuit bottom and/or top then you can) Once they have bathed you then you will be rinsed and taken back to your dressing room to get dressed.

I have never felt so clean in my entire life. I walked out feeling refreshed and my skin was so soft from the exfoliation. I would definitely do this again and if I am ever in Turkey again then we will definitely have a Turkish bath!

I did tip my attendant and she was pleasantly pleased.

Tips for the Ladies: I would remove any make up before heading to the bath. I unfortunately did not and had mascars running down my face! They will also wash your hair so I would bring a brush/comb for afterwards. They do have blow dryers and mirrors in each room for your use.

4 Thank shelley_gaspard
New York City, New York
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Favorite experience in Istanbul-- do it a few days into your trip!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

After four days of being heckled, hounded, and generally chatted up (and exhausted from the effort!) in Istanbul, my friend and I were at the ends of our ropes with the city. We got a slow start in the morning, and eventually shuffled ourselves off to the bath house. And thank goodness we did!

We were a bit apprehensive about the whole experience, having been told by some other girls at our hostel that it was kind of an awkward thing to do. At first it did feel awkward, and it was a bit confusing trying to sort out where we were supposed to go and what we were supposed to do. We both paid 50 euro (120 lira) for the complete experience, which combined a scrubbing with a massage, a shampooing, and a little bit of nice hair braiding at the end.

The matron I had was very friendly and inquisitive about my name, where I was from, etc. She made me feel comfortable and checked in to make sure I was enjoying it partway through. Tip: remember your matron's name, as you'll have to write it on a card at the end to review them, and you'll definitely want to make sure they get a good review!

Overall an awesome experience. Highly recommended.

2 Thank NatalieSteinberg
London, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Best thing to do after a long day of sightseeing”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Make no mistake, this place is famous in Istanbul for being one of the top 1000 places to visit in the world before you die. And they make no secret of it as this advertisement is the first thing that catches your eye when you turn into the road from the chaos of the Grand Bazaar. I was curious to say the least. I read the leaflet by the door which mentioned famous people who had frequented the place, from the likes of Kate Moss to Jenson Button. Being a huge fan of the latter, I decided if it's good enough for Jenson...!

So this was my first ever hamam experience in Istanbul. I was welcomed in and provided with a room to get changed in before stepping out in a towel and these wooden clogs which pretty much fit just three of my toes! Minor fail. After shuffling precariously into the hamam, I was told to sit next to a stone sink with a pail. I was unsure what to do but looked around and there were other women pouring water over themselves. Alright, I thought. Monkey see, monkey do. So I did.

Then an attendant came to me and led me by the hand to the hot marble surface in the centre of the room. I was massaged and scrubbed down like never before. I was completely unaware of how tense my shoulders and upper back were but my attendant was diligent in rubbing out every single knot until I was pretty much biting my lip to stop myself from yelping in pain. She even gently said 'lady' and guided my hand to my skin to make me feel just how much dirt was coming off me during the scrub and smiled. I was pretty amused to see that during my day of sightseeing, I'd accumulated an impressive film of sunscreen, sweat and dust on my skin which she duly scrubbed away.

The experience was not rushed and the head massage during the shampoo was a highlight. I lay in a hot marble room just off the main hamam after the scrub-down, just to relax. Then I was provided with a towel and patted dry before being handed some free hamam soap and led to my room to relax on the bed or get changed. I met my friend in the cafe on the roof terrace later. We ordered cooling yoghurt drinks and lounged in the balmy evening sunset, zenned out and calm. Great to do after a long day on the go.

Visited May 2013