“Loved Ibrahim and the Zeynap Sultan”

Zeynep Sultan Hotel
Ranked #115 of 1,156 Hotels in Istanbul
Salmon Arm, British Columbia
“Loved Ibrahim and the Zeynap Sultan”
Reviewed October 25, 2006

Couldn't ask for a better location in the Sultanamet. Hats off to Ibrahim and all of his staff. Incredibly professional but also very personable and helpful. Thanks, Ibrahim, for your insights into Turkish culture.

The rooms are a bit on the small side, but this is Europe after all. And the spotless nature of the rooms and the entire hotel make up for it. Complimentary internet is also a big bonus. Above all, the views from the terrace are the best.

Some advice if you're staying here: while there's no restaurant in the hotel, there is one kitty corner: out the front door, turn right, walk across the road about 30 paces. This small restaurant is deceiving...the food quality is very good, and they will deliver right to the terrace at the Zeynap Sultan!

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank Shuswapper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed September 28, 2006

I went to Zeynep Sultan Hotel in March this year with my family.
We booked a room for three people. We received a room on ground floor which was rather small but nicely decorated and immaculately clean. It was still cold in March and we did have problems with the heating in the room at first. We called the staff to help us sort it out several times during the first few days who did finally managed to it on our day two. Our room window backed to another hotel and all we could see from it was another wall but the view from the rooftop terrace where we had breakfast in the morning was wonderfull. The breakfast itself was very nice too. My mother fell in love with their turkish coffee and we had to buy some for her to take home. Their honey, bread and olives stuffed with peppers are divine. I came to Istanbul with a very bad cough which I just could not shift but after couple of days there, it completely dissapeared. I am still convinced that this was something to do with consuming large quantities of honey there. The staff there were extremely friendly and helpfull. We also met the owner of the hotel Ibrahim who was kind enough to point us to some of the best attractions in the city. I did however find some of his comments a bit off putting. His comment to the prayer calls from the local mosques "Enough already" I found a bit disrespectfull. It was also contradictory as there is a chapel in the basement of the hotel. Another negative about the hotel was transport to the airport. From the airport we took a taxi which cost me approximately £10. Hotel's transport price to the airport was much more than that which I found quite unreasonable. We did not expect a free ride as we booked via Expedia but I did expect to pay around the same price as the local taxis.

As far as Istanbul is concerned, ever since I came back , I have been talking about going back there. My family and I absolutely loved it. Staying in the Sultanahmet area felt like being transported back to the Ottoman period. The atmosphere in the city is amazing. Sitting in the garden in front of the Blue Mosque during lunch time prayer is very spiritually moving and enlightening. Views from the Topkapi palace are breathtaking. Do not miss the visit to the Spice Market as the prices there are generally lower than at the Grand Bazar and you get hassled less. I fell in love with the place and can not wait to go back there again.

12 Thank pri
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed September 24, 2006

We stayed 6 nights in August, the night of our arrival and, after a 7 days tour around Turkey, 5 more nights. They kept part of our luggage during that interval of time, free of charge.
They picked us up from the airport as we booked directly from the website and stayed more than 3 days.

We felt welcomed since the first minute. The hotel was really quite and, after a long sightseeing, it was really nice to have a rest in the reception talking to the friendly staff and playing with the lazy cat.
Stuff were really helpful, making good suggestions when asked. Everyone we met was kind with us, even our english was poor and sometimes it was difficult to understand us! They didn't hesitate to repeat every answer twice. We felt at home.

Everything is close to the hotel, as you can read in other reviews. The location is excelent.
Our room was not small, as it had an extra bed where we placed our luggage (we payed for a twin room). But even without this extra bed, I would have considered the room as good sized. I suppose that it depends on your standards. For me, and for the price I payed, a room with a wardrobe, a table to place the luggage, a TV and a large bed (and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever found in a hotel) is ok. I just heard the call to pray the first night (maybe I was so tired -and the bed was so comfortable- that I didn't hear anything the rest of nights!). The room and bathroom were spotless and the air conditioning worked perfectly (without noise). We could watch the spanish international channel, something we had not found in other hotels, and was nice to see the news in our mother tongue, as our english is poor. You also have free internet connection.

The only thing they could improve is perhaps the breakfast, very simple and unvariable, maybe ok if you stay one or two days, but a bit boring and simple if you stay for long.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Friendly stuff, excelent location
  • Disliked — simple breakfast
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
7 Thank Thaliana
LHRTripper
Reviewed September 24, 2006

The Zeynep Sultan is a great basic hotel for a sightseeing trip to Istanbul. It is situated in the heart of Sultanahmet under the shadow of the Aya Sofia and just around the corner from the Blue Mosque.

The rooms are on the small side but very clean and well appointed. The bathroom was also small but very efficiently filled, but most importantly the shower was excellent; really refreshing after a night partying in Taksim.

Breakfast is basic but fresh bread, eggs cheese and honey are all you need to set you up for a trek around the sights.

We were most impressed by the staff. They were extremely friendly and helpful. We felt very welcome.

• Liked — Location and friendliness of staff.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
8 Thank LHRTripper
Desert Hot Springs, California
Reviewed September 18, 2006

Zeynep Sultan is an easy walk to historical monuments, restaurants, train station, and markets. The staff was so helpful.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small rooms
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DesertDarling
Washington, DC
Reviewed September 18, 2006

Like many previous posts, I booked this hotel after reading reviews on this site. I cannot say enough about this hotel and the wonderful staff - they made our visit to Istanbul truly memorable.

My brother and I lived in Ankara, Turkey as children when our father was in the military - but had not been back to the country in nearly 40 years. We decided to take our Dad on this trip to celebrate his 70th birthday.

We stayed 4 nights (Sept 1 - 4) and loved every minute! Ibrahim and his staff made us feel like family. They pointed out good restaurants close by (especially helpful that first night when we were exhausted!) and were always available to offer tips on sites to see, shopping, transportation, etc.

The terrace is a major high-point of the hotel. My husband, brother, father and I loved to relax with a bottle of Raki or a few Efes beers at the end of a day spent sight-seeing and walking for hours. The view of Ayasofya is magnificent - and at night when it's lit up, it is breathtaking. It's this amazing little respite in the middle of the Old City.

Breakfast is included in the rate - and the perfect way to start a day with light fare before tackling the sites. Ibrahim is generally available to help you plan your day, but all the staff seem very knowledgeable and willing to offer advice.

Rooms are adequate size, very clean and quiet - even with the morning call to prayer. The location of the hotel is perfect.

Again, I cannot say enough about Ibrahim and his staff. All were truly wonderful! Duran taught us the best way to drink Raki - we all brought bottles home to share with friends in the States!

I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to anyone planning a "tourist" visit to Turkey. They will take very good care of you at Zeynep Sultan!

• Liked — The Terrace that looked out over the Haghia Sophia
  • Disliked — Lack of restaurant ... but really, that's not a big factor given all the places nearby.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book directly with the hotel staff via the Internet. They are friendly and accomodating.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank LRB64
London, UK
Reviewed September 16, 2006

Booked the Zeynep Sultan for a week-long stay after reading reviews on this site. I agree with most other visitors that the location is excellent (quiet-ish side street smack bang in the middle of Sultanahmet) and the personnel most friendly. The owner made a real point of mingling with the guests at breakfast and gave useful tips on how to organise your own outings rather than joining the organised cattle herds. The outside tables on the roof terrace are hugely popular with all breakfast guests but even when they're all taken, no problem - the guys will carry another table out for you! The room I stayed in was relatively small (that was fine as I was by myself), clean, air-conditioned and in a good state of repair. The bathroom was also small but plumbing worked perfectly (more than can be said of most British hotels!!!). Only minus point was the rather variable standard of cleaning. Towels weren't changed automatically (I guess you have to ask). Tip: do take some earplugs, as the hotel is right next to the Zeynep Sultan Mosque - calls to prayer start at 5.30am sharp! Overall I would say really good value for money, if you're after a comfortable, affordable base to explore the city (I booked through hoteldiscount.com), rather than a hotel to lounge around in (no restaurant / bar).

• Liked — Location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — No lift, very random selection of tv channels
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo