“Beautiful small hotel with charm in the heart of Istanbul”

Zeynep Sultan Hotel
Ranked #120 of 1,129 Hotels in Istanbul
Zagreb, Croatia
“Beautiful small hotel with charm in the heart of Istanbul”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed in Zeynep Sultan Hotel for six days and I can say that it's everything we looked for. It's clean, the staff is excellent and very helpful, the breakfast is served at the terace with just stunning view. The location is perfect: in a small street where you feel very safe, in walking distance from all sights. It is not big fancy hotel and they are not claiming so. They have nice web site with description and pictures so I don't understand why people expect large luxurious rooms with big bath. Rooms and the hotel in general have everything you need if you came to explore the city and also it isn't just basic but has some good vibrations and coziness. I think that everyone must know what he's looking for and if it's comfortable hotel with charm in the heart of Istanbul I recommend Zeynep Sultan highly! If we ever come back to Istanbul I won't consider any hotel but this one.

3 Thank Zvjezdana B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kiev, Ukraine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Of course, the main advantage of the hotel is its marvelous location in the very center of Sultanahmet which makes it easy to get to the main city sights any time of the day.
The staff is very nice and helpful with excellent English. Breakfast is nice and the terrace where the breakfast is served is just excellent! The room is small but cozy and clean.
It is funny, but remote control in our room didn’t work (the problem was also mentioned by other reviewers), but after all we didn’t need a TV as there are so many things to do in Istanbul.
It is true that the area is quite loud but that is the price you have to pay for staying in the very center on the historical part of the city.
If I go to Istanbul in future I will definitely consider Sultan Zeynep hotel as a place to stay.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

The staff are pleasant enough but the rooms are very small - which perhaps is standard for Istanbul? Small shower too but great water pressure and temperature. Breakfast was OK - limited, standards Turkish breakfast (hard boiled eggs, bread, olives, devon, cheese etc). Nespresso coffee was a nice change from instant.

My biggest gripe was the supposed WiFi. I know it is not something that is essential but if they advertise it they should supply it. VERY inconsistent. Didn't work in my room, spasmodically worked on the Terrace and inconsistently worked in the Lobby. Very frustrating.....It was implied that this was a common problem in the area but I didn't have any other issues at other places nearby.

My laundry was also returned damp on my last day which made packing tricky.

It's not the staff's fault - they are pleasant and helpful. Would I recommend it - unfortunately, No..

• Stayed April 2013
Centurion, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is, in my opinion more of a backpacker place than a hotel. The rooms are tiny and old. The bathrooms, although clean are very, very small. Breakfast is meagre but the coffee is good. Do not beleive the pictures on the internet they are deceiving.

Room Tip: If you are going to use this hotel ask for a room on the 3rd floor at the back as the noise from the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

My stay at the Zeynep Sultan Hotel was pleasant enough. I'm not sure I would return, though, because I didn't sleep well at all.

1) Room: The room was small, but I expected that because I booked a single room. The furnishings are simple, and the bathroom is postage stamp-sized. I'm an average sized 5'3" gal, and it was a little tight to maneuver with showering and stuff. Keep that in mind when you're considering booking a single.

2) Cleanliness: For the most part, the hotel is clean and bright. When I arrived, I noticed there was some hair on the floor in my room's bathroom that was not my own. Otherwise, the sheets and towels were clean and serviceable. The public areas were kept tidy, too.

3) Staff: The staff was really friendly and helpful. They speak English and were always polite and nice. No complaints here, and I thank them for their help in navigating the city and deciding what to do on my daily outings.

4) Location: Fantastic location in the middle of the old town. This hotel truly is in the thick of it with Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque, and Topkapi right outside. The Grand Bazaar was also walkable, and there are tram stops nearby to take you farther afield, as well.

5) Extras: Breakfast is free. That's great. It's really basic, though, so don't expect a lavish spread. Bread and butter, cereal, muffins, some fruit, sliced meats and cheese, and water. No juice, just water or coffee. The wifi is also free. That's great, too. It can be a little slow and spotty, but hey...it was free.

6) Sleep quality: Terrible. It's not entirely this hotel's fault; after all, I knew it was right by a mosque that would have prayer calls at dawn. However, I still feel like my sleep was just...really really bad while I was there. The prayer calls were expected. However, the bar from the nearby hostel would play music until around midnight. Then, there was loud (REALLY LOUD) construction that occurred between midnight and 1:30 or 2 in the morning. I was shocked and really frustrated by the really loud jackhammering that sounded like it was coming from the backyard. Don't they have noise ordinances in Istanbul? This isn't necessarily the hotel's fault, but I'm nevertheless biased against staying here again after that really bad experience. If you're trying to calculate actual sleep that was had, that meant noise until 2AM and then the call to prayer again at around 5:50 or 6AM. In addition, the room was kept a little too warm for my tastes, and I always kicked off my blankets in the middle of the night.

Overall, I thought this hotel was decent and what I expected for the money. However, outside factors and the fact that I slept so poorly throughout my stay will likely bias me against staying here again. I think other accommodations may be had for the same price, and I'm willing to give another place a shot when next I'm in Istanbul.

Room Tip: Seems like the rooms that don't face the mosque might be a little quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank odderie
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed in Zeynep Sultan Hotel for four days in April: everything was neat and clean and the service we received was excellent; but the best thing is the location: close to the Hagia Sophia, but in a quiet little street. We enjoyed staying there very much and recommend this hotel very highly.

2 Thank Andries C
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

The hotel is right in the heart of the old district of Istanbul, that is, you are going to be in walking distance from all the sights. It's a good hotel, with great staff and we had nothing to complain about. The size of the room is irrelevant since you are supposed to go out and about and visit the city :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple