“Experta Tours Istanbul Review” 5 of 5 bubbles

Istanbul Small-Group Sightseeing and Culinary Walking Tour
Ranked #24 of 72 Food & Drink in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We offer individualized private tours or small group tours for Istanbul and rest of Turkey. We can design itineraries according to your interest and time and we will do our best to make sure that you leave Turkey with the best memories. During the tour you won't only hear our interesting stories about the past but also have chance to talk about today’s Turkey. Please feel free to contact us. Erkan Karakose
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Experta Tours Istanbul Review”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I travel extensively and have had occasion to use guides in cities in the U.S. Europe and China. I had always wanted to visit Istanbul. A good friend of mine recommended one of Experta's guides, Erkan Karakose, as a guide. Erkan replied to my email within 12 hours and we fixed a 3 - day schedule and price. From the outset, I was very impressed with his professionalism

Erkan was outstanding and easily the best tour guide I have ever dealt with! He has an incredible knowledge of Turkish history, culture and cuisine. My wife and I used his services over 3 days and we felt that we got to see and learn a great deal about Istanbul, its attractions, its history and cuisine. Coincidentally, my wife has a colleague who grew up in Istanbul and who was visiting the city while we were there. We had dinner with her after our time with Erkan. My wife's colleague was astounded at all the sights we managed to take in with Erkan over our 3 days with him.

We never had the feeling that Erkan just looked at us as mere clients. For example, he called our airline at least twice to follow up on our lost luggage. We had lunch with him at 3 different restaurants where the food was outstanding and the prices extremely reasonable. While we had a camera, Erkan took photographs of us on his smart phone and would edit them for quality before sending them to us each evening. He accompanied us back to our hotel on 2 nights and, on the night when he could not accompany us, he emailed me to make sure we got back safely (not that there was anything to worry about). In short, he is a true gentleman.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend Experta Tours and, in particular, Erkan to anyone visiting Istanbul or other parts of Turkey, I would definitely use him again if I return to Istanbul.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank DomenicVenturo

• Polish first
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Best time during 14 day cruise of Eastern Med.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I really had second thoughts about visiting Istanbul, Turkey. I kept thinking about all the unrest and protests and it being an Islamic country. I could not be more wrong.

I woke up to the most beautiful view of a coastline I have ever seen. The cruise ship came into Port in Istanbul Turkey at 7 AM in the morning. I woke up at 6:00 to see the most majestic and beautiful cites of a very well preserved ancient city. I was immediately excited to jump off the ship and begin our visit. I was more glad I had scheduled a private guide for this visit.

We were met at the exit of the port authority by Erkan "pronounced AirCon" Karakose our private guide. A short walk to the light rail train station we were on our way. Erkan was an amazing guide, he is a well dressed well spoken gentlemen who spoke English very well. When I say very well... actually as good as any rednecked American or Brit.

Our first visit was to Topkapi Palace. To both our amazement, Erkan too, we were the first souls to enter the palace, which was amazing. Erkan was an encyclopedia of historic knowledge and as a history buff... I enjoyed that very much.

We visited the Haghia Sofia, the Blue Mosque, and the Basilica Cistern as well. I particularily enjoyed our lunch at a local out of the way cafe. One thing I really liked about Erkan was that we did some things that were very uncharacteristic of tourists... he kept us out of the Grand Bazzar from a shopping point of view. If we wanted to buy something, he took us to a gov't store where everything was certified "Made in Turkey" by Turkish Artisans. We bought a bowl that cost us about 1/4 what they were asking for at the Bazzar. We also stopped by a scarf vendor who sold us Turkish Scarves... not Chinese or Indian. Stay away from buying at the Bazzar... He coined the Bazzar a killing field for cruise tourists... after walking through there... I see exactly why.

He also took us roof top at some merchant building... felt like James Bond walking on the roof... but the view was amazing. A complete panoramic view of Istanbul. That was Amazing!!!

We had an amazing trip and we have Erkan to thank for the priceless memories we will cherish forever. I can't wait to come back to see our good friend. When you inquire, you might think it is a bit expensive... but trust me... it really isn't when you consider he is covering all the fees, skipping the lines and leaving you with memories others on the cruise wish they had.

Make sure you are fit to walk... alot.

Thank you Erkan!!!

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Clint H
Edmonton
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Very good trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I took the advice of Tripadvisor and went with Arif Yasa, (Experta tours & events) Tessera travel agency, and we had very good tour of Cappadocia and surrounding area. We were picked up and driven to our hotel by the Cappadocia guide: Ibo. Everything was organized, and arranged so that we were always ahead of the crowded tour bus. Our van was very clean and new, and everything was superb. Ibo knew the area so very well, and though there was mixed up by the Turkish airline, I was refunded the very next day by the company. We are very impressed.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank italycanada
Cleveland, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Highly Professional Guides!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was on my own for a week in Istanbul and decided to hire a guide for a day or two to get oriented to the city! Experta Tours, and specifically Erkan, was recommended to me by a friend. Regretfully, he was not available; however, his associate, Selcuk, did an OUTSTANDING job. We walked all over the city and saw many sites. His knowledge of Istanbul and its many historic sites was fantastic. I strongly recommend Experta Tours.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Maureen M
Oslo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great day in Istanbul”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I payed our first visit to Istanbul in May and had booked a one day tour with Erkan for an efficient introduction to the highlights of the city. He gave us a great experience, the major sights in addition to all the small local twists that only a dedicated guide would bother to offer. A very pleasant person and we thoroughly enjoyed our day in his company. He knew his trade!

Visited May 2013