“Friendly and helpful Staffs”
Review of Spinel Hotel

Spinel Hotel
Ranked #555 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
“Friendly and helpful Staffs”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This hotel is newly operated but I have nothing to complaint about for the price given to me that night. Apparently all hotel rates In Istanbul on the 18 May sky-rocket up to 500-700 TRY per night so it was a bless when I managed to grab a less then 300 TRY for triplets room at Spinel. It's clean and the air-condition work very well. In fact we have to switch it off sometimes because the room become too cold.

Thumbs up for the friendly and helpful staffs and the breakfast is actually quite a plenty with bread, hard boiled eggs, cereal etc.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Arty1166

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Erbil
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I decided to book the Spinel Hotel online after the hotel i stayed at last time was full. The Spinel Hotel was very close. It is a new hotel so I am told. They organised an Airport transfer and gave me an early check in which was very nice as it enables one to be more relaxed upon arrival.

I was given a room high up with a very good view and lots of windows, I could watch ships plying along the entrance to the Bosphorus and parts of the Sea of Marmara.

However there were a few issues with both the room and the hotel. The cost was far too high for the size and condition of the room. The ceiling was not much above door height and the bathroom ceiling was lower than door height. I am 183cm and my head was always brushing the bathroom light overhead. I had to get changes in the main room. The air-conditioner did not work for 4 days and they were in no hurry to fix it... it needed to be gassed. I woke up each morning at around 6am sweating as the sun was on full shine into the room. I had to have the windows open all night hence the curtains were drawn back. The rooftop terrace was being prepared for breakfasts and the drilling and hammering was up until at least 10.30pm when i finally did go to sleep. I had not had a good sleep for around 40 hours as travellers often do. The cost was around 30% higher than comparable good hotels in the area. I thought I was paying a higher price to get a better quality hotel room. I was to stay in it for 1 week. One day i was the only guest and they did not employ a cleaner that day, the guy who came and changed the towels only, took the money that I had left for the cleaner. over the previous 2 days the bathroom was developing a distinctly mouldy smell which on the day the cleaner was not there was quite intolerable. I went and bought a cleaning agent and cleaned it myself... incidentally the smell never came back. Breakfast was OK but nothing special to write home about. It was basic fare generally 1 fresh fruit. only Nescafe coffee, not even a filter coffee. I paid 109 Euros for the first 2 nights and 99 Euros for each night after that. They knew it was too expensive and told me so but I was never offered a lesser rate.

On a different note,the staff were friendly, however no more than other hotels I had stayed at In the area.

Overall it was a disappointing experience and definitely not value for money.

Cheers, Gary

Room Tip: Nothing to add.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank garyherb
Travelers also viewed these Istanbul hotels
Nomade Hotel
#467 of 1,135 in Istanbul
All Day Istanbul Hotel
All Day Istanbul Hotel
#702 of 1,135 in Istanbul

Been to Spinel Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Spinel Hotel

Property: Spinel Hotel
Address: Cankurtaran Mahallesi Terbiyik Cikmazi No:6 | Sultanahmet-Fatih, Istanbul 34122, Turkey
Location: Turkey > Istanbul > Sultanahmet
Bar / Lounge Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Suites
Ranked #555 of 1,135 Hotels in Istanbul
Hotel Class:3 star — Spinel Hotel 3*
Spinel Hotel offers you and exquisite stay in an elegant and stylish environment which is oozing with charecter and history..We are located in the most ancient part of Istanbul,the former capital of the Byzantine and Ottoman Empire and couple of minutes walk from all the major touristic places including ;Blue Mosque,Hagia Sophia,Topkapi Palace. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Cancelon, HostelWorld, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Spinel Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.