“Interesting and friendly”

Offbeat Istanbul Walking Tours / Day Tours
Ranked #157 of 415 Tours in Istanbul
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: sharing with you the true colours of Istanbul – off the beaten track
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Interesting and friendly”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is the first guided tour I've ever taken and wow! I was very impressed! We had a walking tour around the Beyoglu and Istiklal Road areas of Istanbul - we learned so much that wasn't in the guide books!

Our guide spoke excellent English and was able to show us places and areas that we had shown particular interest in. For example we were talking about shopping for some original old Turkish metalwork and she was able to show us the antique district and advise us on which places will give the best prices.

The tour itself was eye-opening, the history of the different inhabitants of Istanbul is everywhere if you know where to look! Luckily our guide was very knowledgeable about all aspects of the history of the area and of Turkish history and was able to answer all of our questions fully and with confidence.

This was an added extra to our trip but I am so glad we did it - after this wonderful experience I will now be looking to go on historical tour guides in every city I visit.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank K D

Melbourne, Australia
“Great way to start”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We completed a mediterranean cruise and were met at the port in Istanbul by our guide. Instantly we relaxed as she provide us with valuable information regarding transport, sites, restaurants so that we could enjoy the rest of our time in Istanbul.
We received a perfect welcome, a worthy overview as well as some hidden local gems.
When we return to Istanbul, I will no doubt do another walking tour with this group.

Visited June 2012
3 Thank Nikos373
Santa Barbara, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Perfect Walking Tour and Guides”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

In my experience the most important element in a walking tour in a city new to you is the person giving the tour.
If you enjoy a tour guide who is very bright, speaks english well, is knowledgeable about the neighborhood you want to visit or are staying in, or want a good companion who can guide you through the maze of markets in Istanbul or any other local institution,
this is the tour for you. I cannot speak highly enough of the experience Necla provided to my family in October 2012. Necla went the extra mile for us many times..
My luggage did not arrive with me. Necla went out of her way over 3 days to assist me with this problem and
worked out a solution with the airlines that actually brought my suitcase back into my possession. She was instrumental in recommending and guiding us to good restaurants,in buying food for our apartment, in understanding how to navigate the city in the best way,
and in our becoming comfortable in a very foreign city.
Both Necla and Dugyu are fun and professional, a fantastic combination.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank suzannesteed2016
Shanghai, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Arriving in a neighbourhood....”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

For my family and me the tour was in connection with the appartment we rented. So it was the perfect start into getting to know the neighbourhood. Our guide was fairly knowledgable, super flexible and attending to our wants and needs. So besides having fun on the tour, we learned about the place, felt the vibe, and had a pocket full of ideas to take it from there. All thumbs up, great job!

Visited June 2012
3 Thank Oezi23
Antalya
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Really great day out in Istanbul”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We did the walking tour with Necla in July, 2012. What a wonderful way to really get to know the Beyoglu district of Istanbul. We were shown so many wonderful little places in the backstreets and feel that we got to see a side of Istanbul that would otherwise have been hidden from us. We loved hearing all the little historical stories. We also enjoyed experiencing all the hidden eateries!

We returned to Istanbul a month later with my parents and had a great time hunting down the places that Necla had shown us again so that we could enjoy them once more. I can highly recommend this outing. We had two kids, aged 10 and 14, with us and they were just as enthralled as we were.

Visited July 2012