“Great place”

Keyf-i Mekan Cafe And Restaurant
Ranked #188 of 13,393 Restaurants in Istanbul
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Grand Bazaar
Description: We are at middle of the center just standing behind of grand baazar easy to find us lunch brunch breakfast dinner coffe wine beer sea food reasonable price honest and friendly service keyfi mekan team will be waiting for all the guesth who wants to try we speak engilish spanish french russian italian danisk turkish kurdish german
“Great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

After exploring Grand Bazaar my family and I wanted to eat some good turkish food. And here we found this perfect spot. It was a truly great experience. The staff was very friendly and welcoming, food was great, dessert was straight out of the oven. If you in Istanbul and you are near Grand Bazaar (which you should definitely visit) then you just have to stop at this place for lunch/dinner.
The place itself is few hundreds years old which gives it cozy and ancient atmosphere.

• Visited June 2014
Keyf-iMekan, Yönetici at Keyf-i Mekan Cafe And Restaurant, responded to this review, July 16, 2014

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Haven
“Very good food, friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Went with a friend after wandering around the grand bazaar. Waiter spoke very good English and was able to answer our questions about menu items, as well as recommend dishes based on our taste. I had the beef sec kavurna which was excellent. My friend also enjoyed his meal of beef meatballs. We also spoke with the chef who explained a little bit about the business of the restaurant. At the end of our meal, we were offered free tea and coffee as well as lemon cake and cheesecake -- maybe because it was a slow day? Whatever the case, we both left very happy both with the food and the service. Dishes were generally $4-$10 for appetizers and $8-$11 for entrees.

1 Thank Nicholas M
London
“Friendly service and best food I had in Istanbul”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Although only in the city for a weekend found this place just when wandering around the market, and decided to stop for a drink, which then lead to some chicken shish.

Compared to every other meal we had that weekend this was by far the best we had, the taste was excellent and left me wanting more.

I would certainly go back again, the service was very good, and we enjoyed the tremor whilst sitting there which knocked out the mobile phone networks.

Good location to watch people pass, overall was impressed and price was not too bad at all, better than London.

• Visited May 2014
North Haven, Connecticut
“Great spot to rest, eat and recharge after exploring Grand Bazaar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Keyf-i Mekan Cafe And Restaurant is perfect spot to recharge batteries after exploring the Grand Bazaar. It is hidden in one of the side streets just off Grand Bazaar.

We had very good Turkish coffee plus Turskih delight and tasty cheese cake (with a 'Turkish twist'). Staff is very friendly; spot perfect to rest, summarize impressions from the Grand Bazaar and watch people walk by.

Our group didn't dine at this place, but we've heard that this place provides free transportation (pick up and drop off) for dinner. If we had more time, we would try this place for dinner as well.

1 Thank darinka76
Miami Beach, Florida
“Forgettable and overpriced - Positive reviews are insane”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

My wife and I travel frequently in Asia, Europe, the Middle East and North America. We like eating in nice places and we also love finding a good quality hole in the wall. I'll cruise tripadvisor before each trip to pick out restaurants for lunch and dinner in locations where our travel is likely to take us. That's usually a good strategy but every now and then I run into a restaurant that gets rave reviews but is basically forgettable or just plain awful. This is one such place.

We had planned on walking from the Grand Bazaar up to the Suleiman mosque and then down to the Egyptian bazaar so upon exit from the Grand Bazaar I used my smartphone to navigate to this place based on the tripdvisor reviews. This was a total waste of time and worst yet, a missed opportunity to choose somewhere else where we could have had a good meal at a good price.

I have no idea why people rave about this place. My wife had a fish dish and a salad and I had the mixed appetizers and then the mixed kebab. The kebab was easily the worst I've had in many years of travel to Turkey, and I've had some pretty awful kebab on the run. The apple tea was terrible - not allowed to steep properly so the result was like hot water with the slightest touch of apple tea flavor. The lavash bread was cold and didn't seem fresh. My wife's meal wasn't bad but was utterly forgettable.

The guys who run the place are really nice guys - I get the impression some of the positive reviews are written by people swayed by the obvious intent to please by the owners, perhaps being willing to overlook the poor or forgettable quality of the food.

The cafe itself is a tiny hole-in-the-wall in a decrepit working street right near the grand bazaar. If you want to eat lunch on a tiny road in a working Istanbul neighborhood with guys walking buy hawking goods they carry on their heads (pastries, rolled up ropes, baskets, shoes..) you can't beat the authentic, in the middle of the working class, grubby feel. I enjoyed that part, but I could have gotten the same effect ordering a coffee from any small cafe or stand on the street.

It's way overpriced for either the quality or quantity of food. In years of travel picking places at random to eat in Istanbul this is easily in the bottom 5% for quality or value. You could do better I think literally throwing darts at a map and choosing a place at random.

If you are headed towards the Galatia Bridge after visiting the Grand Bazaar a much better choice would be to press on for another 15 minutes through the Egyptian bazaar / spice bazaar and eat at one of the restaurants on the bridge or pick up some of the street food near the bazaar or on the wharf. If headed back towards Sultanahmet there are a million kebab places on the streets that are better.

2 Thank DimitriDonskoi
when we get such a revıevs belıve us for sure we feell so sorry sometımes ıs so crowed our restaurant and problmes are happenıng ın everyrestaurants but ı dont thınk ıs my restaurant that much terıbble as you wrote we try to do our best our prıces are soo resonable for everyone there ıs only the sıngle prıces not tax no kuver or somethıng extra anyways thanks agaın sır all the best