“Best experience in Istanbul !”

Turkish Marbling - Ebru Classes
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are an Art Gallery and organise Traditional Turkish, Ottoman marbling - Ebru workshops in our Art Gallery in Sultanahmet. Lessons are 2 hours with our local professional teachers from Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University in Istanbul.Turkish Paper marbling is a method of aqueous surface design, which can produce patterns similar to marble or other stone, hence the name. You can also draw flower figures which is traditional in Ottoman Art. The things you can capable of painting with Ebru is unlimited. The patterns are the result of color floated on either plain water or a viscous solution known as size, and then carefully transferred to a sheet of paper (or other surfaces such as fabric). This decorative material has been used to cover a variety of surfaces for several centuries. It is often employed as a writing surface for calligraphy, and especially book covers and endpapers in bookbinding and stationery. Part of its appeal is that each print is a unique monoprint.Need a break from the hustle and bustle of tourist life in Istanbul? Come take an art class with us.
Hsinchu County, Taiwan
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Best experience in Istanbul !”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We enjoyed the Ebru lesson for my 8-yr-old daughter A LOT!
During the 3.5hr session, can be longer if we'd like, my daughter drew more than 10 paintings and got familiar with most basic Ebru techniques.
She wished to come back to do the Ebru painting again for the remaining days in Istanbul!
It is such a magic to make the painting on the waterbase gel, and have the patterns transferred on the paper after the drawing. That magic moment of the pattern transfer is really worthwhile itself!
We had so much fun with learning this wonderful Turkish arts.
Undoubtly we highly recommended this class, and it is our best experience in Istanbul!

Visited February 2014

Berlin, Germany
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“What a perfect experience!”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I have met via the internet an appointment to a two-hour lesson in Ottoman Ebru workshop. The contacts with Alp were reliable and friendly. The teaching itself was very educational and relaxing. Betul showed me clearly and simply, how to get to his own works. This all took place in a good atmosphere with the other guests. Thank you!
Thank you also for the Contemporary Art Tour with Sibel. She showed me a myriad of galleries in Beyoğlu. It was a very stimulating afternoon.

Visited February 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Sent to wrong location”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Onn December 24th my kids and I were to have a Turkish marbling class. This is something I confirmed with the owner, Alp, before leaving on vacation.

We arrived at 1030. The door was locked and no one answered. After waiting half an hour we gave up, I left a note under their door, and went back to the hotel to check messages. There were none.

Alp did call the hotel later with profuse and sincere apologies. He explained he had sent an incorrect address and no one was at that location that morning because they were donating blood at the hospital. He was willing to rectify the situation but was unsure if he could arrange as we only had one day left in Istanbul. We did not try.

While I appreciate Alp'sf response and sincere desire to make things right, it should not have happened in the first place. A wrong address after years of offering this class?

Visited December 2013
Baysa, Owner at Turkish Marbling - Ebru Classes, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Sorry for the problem you lived.. It was an urgent health problem happened.. I called your hotel a few times and left a note to the reception in the afternoon time and asking that i we can make the lesson in the same day afternoon or evening with %50 discounted fee but could't reach you..
Also in the late evening i talked to you to compensate but you said maybe..
We did not take any money for the workshop.. It was an unexpected last min. health problem..
Damascus
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Memorable marbling!”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

8 of us - 3 Mums and 5 kids ranging from five to twelve, both male and female - booked a marbling course with Les Arts Turcs in October 2013. It was such fun! We learned a new skill, came away with some masterpieces (really!) and it was a nice change for the kids to do something active rather than passively look around Istanbul's museums, and palaces and mosques (which they loved but were getting a bit tired of...)
The teachers, Betul and Ali, were so kind and patient, and did not hurry us, or restrict our use of materials. They were so generous, and showed us many different examples that we could copy. We came home with wonderful souvenirs and not a few Christmas presents for grandparents! Really professionally organised, and yet still very personal. Highly recommend.

Visited October 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“An exceptional artistic experience”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Having recently moved from corporate-type work to that of a more artistic nature, I decided to top off my recent trip to Istanbul by spending a few hours learning the art of Ebru, or Turkish marbling. During a previous visit to Istanbul, I had seen Ebru paintings (including two of them hanging in my hotel room) but was unsure as to what it was or how it was made. A little bit of internet research in advance of my visit led me to Les Arts Turcs and a 1:1 lesson with Ms. Betul Senguler.

All of my email correspondence in setting up the session was with Mr. Alp Aksahin. I found him to be friendly, accommodating, and very timely in his responses. In fact, when the course had to change from Friday morning because of a last-minute conflict, I was offered a session on Saturday morning. My tutor for the workshop, Betul Senguler, arrived with her little ones in arms, one of which was still asleep! :) It was very kind of her to rearrange her schedule (and that of her children) to be able to meet with me!

Betul was great to work with. She explained all the materials and tools and we set off. Initially starting with simpler techniques, she demonstrated and then I practiced. Over the next few hours, we tackled various patterns and techniques, using the various tools and colours. Later in our session, I was shown a book of various Ebru prints and had a chance to choose what particular techniques I wanted to learn. It was a great experience! I left with great memories, all of the Ebru paintings we'd done, and a desire to continue on with this art.

I will certainly look forward to another session at Les Arts Turcs on a future visit to Istanbul, either to continue on with Ebru or perhaps a lesson in calligraphy or miniature painting!

Visited September 2013