“Great experience!”

Turkish Marbling - Ebru Classes
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are an Art Gallery and organise Traditional Turkish, Ottoman marbling - Ebru workshops in our Art Gallery in Sultanahmet. Lessons are 2 hours with our local professional teachers from Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University in Istanbul.Turkish Paper marbling is a method of aqueous surface design, which can produce patterns similar to marble or other stone, hence the name. You can also draw flower figures which is traditional in Ottoman Art. The things you can capable of painting with Ebru is unlimited. The patterns are the result of color floated on either plain water or a viscous solution known as size, and then carefully transferred to a sheet of paper (or other surfaces such as fabric). This decorative material has been used to cover a variety of surfaces for several centuries. It is often employed as a writing surface for calligraphy, and especially book covers and endpapers in bookbinding and stationery. Part of its appeal is that each print is a unique monoprint.Need a break from the hustle and bustle of tourist life in Istanbul? Come take an art class with us.
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Ditto to Fern N. Besides great courses they have a great view, great tours of local life (I did the whirling dervishes tour-amazing cultural experience) and great shopping in a quiet place without the hustle and bustle of the Grand Bazaar. I hope to come back soon!

There are newer reviews for Turkish Marbling - Ebru Classes

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Hi, after seeing this beaughtiful art form on the internet i came across Ms. Betul web site and to my suprise she was selling her profesional ebru set on her site. i ordered and received my order and it was in good condition. it arrived faster than i thought it would. the two pieces of art that came with it are beautiful. i have e-mailed her with questions about how to do certain parts of ebru sevaral times and she has been so helpful and even went out of her way to answear my questions and provide as much details as posable. thank you.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have never met more lovely and accommodating people. They don't just care about their business, they care about how their business makes you happy and meets your artistic needs. Betul is a master at her craft, Ali is a jokester, and the whole establishment helps you appreciate the beauty there is in the Turkish culture. I could not recommend this enough. I was so inspired I left the country with supplies to spread the beauty of ebru with all my friends and family. I look forward to going and learning more soon!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We took a marbling and calligraphy class. Each were two hours + long. The teacher was terrific, friendly, and knowledgeable. She made it enjoyable, and we got much more from the experience than we thought going into it. We created some terrific (and framable!) marbling prints and learned about the Arabic alphabet. We are a small school group (three high school students) on an educational trip, so these classes were a perfect fit. Also, we loved the restaurant advice, the warm hospitality, and the Turkish coffee & tea.

1  Thank Archie3214
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I had set up a private lesson in order to work with the limited time I had in Istanbul. I was very impressed by the warm welcome I received, the attention my daughter (who was simply waiting for me) was given, and the quality of experience I had. I have some experience marbling in the US and had wanted to learn specific Turkish patterns and methods, which I definitely did. I was able to bring home many beautiful papers that I will incorporate into hand-bound books that I make.