“very nice workshop” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Turkish Marbling - Ebru Classes

Turkish Marbling - Ebru Classes
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are an Art Gallery and organise Traditional Turkish, Ottoman marbling - Ebru workshops in our Art Gallery in Sultanahmet. Lessons are 2 hours with our local professional teachers from Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University in Istanbul.Turkish Paper marbling is a method of aqueous surface design, which can produce patterns similar to marble or other stone, hence the name. You can also draw flower figures which is traditional in Ottoman Art. The things you can capable of painting with Ebru is unlimited. The patterns are the result of color floated on either plain water or a viscous solution known as size, and then carefully transferred to a sheet of paper (or other surfaces such as fabric). This decorative material has been used to cover a variety of surfaces for several centuries. It is often employed as a writing surface for calligraphy, and especially book covers and endpapers in bookbinding and stationery. Part of its appeal is that each print is a unique monoprint.Need a break from the hustle and bustle of tourist life in Istanbul? Come take an art class with us.
uk
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“very nice workshop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Being a non-tourist and a resident of Istanbul I wanted to take a class which was not just touristy and expensive. I really enjoyed the class very much. I had a one to one lesson so I had lots of attention and instruction. I did many papers and took them home, which was nice.I was inspired to buy my own materials and start at home. It was a good introduction to the art and I would like to continue with some more advanced lessons at some point.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank lex12Uk

Kiev, Ukraine
“Nice ambience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I visited Les Arts Turcs in November, I really enjoyed the friendly and welcoming atmosphere. The team is great, the tea is tasty, everyone is so friendly :) definitely check it out whenever you are around

Visited November 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent Ebru Workshop!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

This class is really a wonderful experience. You will get personal instruction on the art of Turkish paper marbling from a very talented and generous teacher. When you leave you'll have a deeper appreciation for the skill that goes into creating a beautiful piece of ebru. You'll also leave the workshop with many of your own ebru designs, which you can use for your own art projects or as souvenirs. This class was one of the more memorable parts of my time in Istanbul. The teacher and entire staff are very kind and welcoming.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank ariniarini
Moscow, Russia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Ebru workshops in Istanbul”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

What can decorate your trip better than nice hearty people, your own traditional art experience and authentic place full of interesting things to discover? This class can be really a balm to your soul and you'll loose a time count. Offered special Dervish Tea is just a cherry on a cake.

Visited January 2012
2 Thank kivata
California City, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ebru in Istanbul”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

I had a private lesson with Betul Hanim at her workshop in Sultanahmet (near the Topkaki Palace). She had all the equipment and paints prepared when I arrived in her cozy studio. I have no experience painting and Betul was very patient with me. She explained how the water/paints are prepared, showed me techniques and allowed me to use this ancient art form as a way to express my creativity. I left with 10 pieces, many of which I have framed. This was a highlight of my trip. I would recommend this for any age.

Visited July 2012