“A Castle with a View”

32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“A Castle with a View”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I love a good castle. I have seen them in England, France, Spain, etc. Anadolu Castle is an excellent castle, even though it is in ruins. There is more than enough left of this castle to give you an accurate idea of what it was like before it was abandoned. Its strategic importance at the mouth of the Bosphorus is obvious. The view of the Black Sea is spectacular. I would give this vantage point four stars alone. Throw in a castle, and you get five stars easily.

The hike up to the castle on the road is taxing, particularly in 85 degree weather. The elevation gain is probably 1,000 feet. However, there are plenty of taxies in the small town to take you up to the castle. There are a number of restaurants just short of the castle. If you want to eat or have a refreshing beverage, they are available. I needed that beverage, but the municipal ferry boat I came on only stopped for two hours so I did not have time for that beverage.

On your way up to the castle, there is a small military base. The soldiers' children were playing and having fun. The base housing is not so good (anyone stationed at Fort Lewis should be happy to be at Fort Lewis, even in the rain.) Judging by the size of the base, I am glad we are on relatively good terms with the Russian Federation.

Visited May 2013