“Deceptive, Bewildering, Unreliable” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #53 of 1,012 Istanbul B&B and Inns
Pompano Beach, Florida
“Deceptive, Bewildering, Unreliable”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I chose Urban Suites partly because of the rooftop terrace, which was wonderful indeed. Too bad the hotel's website and other listings fail to mention that the only way to reach it from the first floor rooms is by walking up several flights--there is no elevator access. Once I made the climb only to discover that the terrace, which is advertised as available 24/7, was locked. Big disappointment.

Before arriving, I emailed Urban Suites for directions and received instructions that started with "When you come Taksim you have to walk to German Hospital..." When I arrived at Taksim, I saw at least four streets leading off Taksim Square and no sign for German Hospital, so I took a taxi. The poor taxi driver had to phone the property four times before receiving adequate directions--though I learned later the property is only a few blocks from Taksim. Why all the trouble?

Because of a series of problems and misunderstandings during my stay, I wanted to see my final bill ahead of time rather than wait for my 4am departure--not a good time of day for handling money matters! Although I was assured it would be ready for me, I had to phone several times before finally receiving a bill--which was, as I had feared, incorrect. It took several tries to finally reach the price that had been agreed upon months earlier. I was not allowed to pay in advance, which was bewildering. When I finally did pay at 4am and asked for a receipt for my cash payment, I was refused.

Others have mentioned the small room size, which, to me, was a minor problem compared to the other headaches. (The only place to put belongings is in the standard-issue hotel style armoire.)

I emailed the above complaints to the owner before writing this review. He was eager to make amends and offered me two very generous choices. I accepted one of them--and never heard from him again. We had been in contact everyday and I had been impressed by his unparalleled commitment to customer service, but it has now been several weeks and I have not received a reply, despite several inquiries. In fact, I was worried that something might be wrong until I came to this site and saw that he has been responding to his happier clientele.

I fell in love with Istanbul and will be returning within a few months, but I will not be staying at Urban Suites. Even if the owner finally remembers me and belatedly offers to make good on his promise, I have no reason to trust him anymore.

I stayed at two other hotels while traveling in Istanbul and Cappadocia. Thanks to them, I know what Turkish hospitality is really like. And it's not what I got before, during or after my stay at Urban Suites.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor unless you're willing to climb several flights of stairs to en...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Jasmine_and_Pelicans
nurettin b, Owner at Urban Suites, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay.
The door to the roof top terrace is never locked. However when it rains we just close the door so water don’t come in to the building but one can open it easily by just pushing the open button. I think we failed to explain you when you checked in and I apologies for that again. I am pleased that you really liked and enjoyed the roof top terrace though.
I am so sorry that you had a hard time to find out our hotel. Istanbul is a big metropolis and usually taxi drivers are getting advantage of this with tourists. That is why we strongly recommend our guests to order airport pick-up service from our hotel. For the guests who chose to use public transportation we provide a detailed explanation of the directions. Apparently we failed to do so for you. The interaction with our staff member with regards to your comments about the finding our hotel is certainly not typical and I will be sure to raise your experience with our entire service team as a training exercise.
As Urban suites Istanbul it is very important that all our guests leave our hotel happily. For that reason I already explained I would do my best to change your unpleasant memories with good ones. Please feel free to contact myself directly if you are travelling to Istanbul again so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay.
Once again please do accept my apologies.
Best regards.
Nurettin Bilgis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Turkish first
Nicosia, Cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Just returned home after staying four nights at Urban suites during our short break in Istanbul.
This is a renovated building in a very peaceful street. Our room was located at the ground floor and it was small but kept VERY clean and the design was very beautiful. To be honest we expected to find ourselves in a bigger room but it seems that both rooms on the ground floor are small. After seeing the rooms on the upper floors we were a bit disappointed for not booking any of those. They are more pricey of course but worth the money. The royal suite on the last floor offers panoramic views of Bosporus! The personnel was SUPER friendly and always there for us. They did everything to feel at home and to please us and to enjoy our short break in Istanbul and we are very thankful for this. They offered us complimentary drinks plus a lift to the airport the last day of our holidays (1st of May) by themselves as the police blocked several roads around the area because of the Labour day. I cannot imagine what would have happened if they were not giving us a lift to the airport. We requested a taxi but even for taxis was difficult to approach because of the Laborers parade and police. Thanks to the owner who transfered us to the airport by himself and without accepting any payment!!
If you are looking for a beautifully designed place to stay in Istanbul with great personnel this is the place!
Definitely beautiful moments: early evening at the terrace of the hotel before going for dinner, enjoying our drinks with panoramic views of the Bosporus.

Thank you Urban Suites!

Room Tip: Go for any of the suites on the upper floors! They are biiig and beautiful!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
nurettin b, Owner at Urban Suites, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. I appreciate your kind comments.
I am very glad we could make it to the airport on Labor Day.
I want you know that it has been a really pleasure for us to host you in our hotel and we are looking forward to host you again soon in our suites!
If you need anything from Istanbul please let me know.
Best wishes
Nurettin Bilgis
Somerton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is a great little hotel with really friendly and helpful staff that couldn't do enough to help. The suites are comfortable, clean and neat! Although there is no restaurant in the hotel there is cooking facilities and also numerous bars and restaurants minutes away in this bohemian area (check out 5.Kat, 1 minute away which over looks the Bosphorus – excellent). You can walk to the old town but the trams are very easy to use but the last leg of the walk back to the hotel is very steep – great exercise. Very recommended and we look forward to returning.

Room Tip: We stayed in Suite 5 and it was perfect!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
nurettin b, Owner at Urban Suites, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your experiences on this very important platform. I appreciate your nice and kind comments.
I want you know that we really enjoyed hosting you here.
We are looking forward to see you again soon!
Best wishes from Istanbul!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

We aim to get a sense for how a city lives, assuming tourists are rare, even if they are fact (like outselves). Cihangir is a wonderful neighborhood: real, creative, cosmopolitan, yet grounded. Urban Suites is a fancy accomodation with a super friendly owner and staff. The standard sights are easy and fun to reach (hiking through cool parts of town and the tram) and, most important to us, the parts of town which are leading the pack are on the doorstep: Cihangir, Cukurcuma, and with a few steps Galata and Nisantasi.
Beware of suite 2, which can cause claustophobism. Embrace all others, which are tastefully decorated. Make use of the rooftop terace, which is a breathtaker.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank freakyhamburgpeople
nurettin b, Manager at Urban Suites, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
I want you know that it has been a real pleasure for me and for my team to host you in our hotel.
We are hoping to see you soon again.
Best wishes.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

This boutique hotel is the best among the hotel in Istanbul.location is perfect. From the balcony and windows you are seeing the bosphorus. Persolal is so polite, especially Mr. Tolga is so wonderful man. Design and cleaning is perfect . I can say one thing. I felt myself in my own . I am sure that I will always stay in there when I go to istanbul. Thanks to urban suite and hotel's family. Ismail

• Stayed February 2013
nurettin b, Owner at Urban Suites, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Our dearest guests,
Thank you both for sharing your experiences during your stay in our hotel. I appreciate your beautiful comments.
I am really glad to hear you enjoyed your time during your stay.
We are looking forward to see you again soon.
Best wishes from Cihangir.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

There is perfect place where you can find in best part of Istanbul.. Hotel, rooms and employees are very kind and freindly. Room is very comfortable and cosy,homy. Cihangir is best nightlife place in istanbul

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Alijraktas
nurettin b, Owner at Urban Suites, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your experiences on this very important platform. I appreciate your kind comments.
I am really glad to hear you enjoyed your time during your stay.
We are looking forward to see you again soon.
Best wishes from Cihangir.
Bologna, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I found this hotel on Booking com, using the filter "best hotel according to the opinions of guests". It looked me really expensive (€ 130 x night), but I was never wrong when I used this filter, so also this time I decided to book, even though the average prices in Istanbul is about € 45-55.

From hotel they sent us a shuttle to take us from the airport (cost € 35 from Atatürk Airport). We went to Istanbul for the first time and so when I saw the crazy traffic of the city, I realized that the service price was not excessive, because if you need to do it with public transport you will never succeed.

The hotel is very nice that includes only 7 suites. It is a beautiful and modern building in the area (Taksim) Istanbul.

The elevator takes you directly to your suite. The windows overlook the Bosphorus Bridge (Boğaziçi Köprüsü) that glows beautifully in the dark.

The suite is modern designed and fully furnished (there is a kitchen with washing /dryer machine, dishwasher, refrigerator, microwave oven & infrared oven).

High quality towels, beautiful bathroom is covered with gray marble, everything, absolutely everything is designed to make you feel as if you were at home.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Giora S
nurettin b, Owner at Urban Suites, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences during your stay at our hotel on this very important platform. I appreciate your kind comments.
We are hoping to see you soon again.
Best wishes.